How Can I Test a Relay and Circuit Breaker Assembly

(Stereos, Chartplotters, Fish Finders, etc.)
Edpmiller
Ensign
Ensign

How Can I Test a Relay and Circuit Breaker Assembly

Post by Edpmiller »

Does anyone know how I can test my Relay and Circuit Breaker Assembly that is part of my trim pump. This is on a 1996 Cobalt 190 with a Volvo Penta Cobra SX drive. I have attempted to attach a picture. I need to test this in a effort to solve my trim up not working problem. I can trim down all the time, but my up only works intermittently. I have replaced the trim switch assembly on my throttle and I replaced the trim sending switch assembly located on the outdrive. I replaced the Relay in 2019 and it only has about 20 hours on it.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: How Can I Test a Relay and Circuit Breaker Assembly

Post by bruceb58 »

Here is the schematic for the relay. Pretty easy to probe the box to determine what voltages are missing.
volvotrimrelay.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2017 R5 350HP Mercruiser Bravo III
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
Titaniumboy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Titaniumboy »

So this is part was made by Evinrude Johnson /OMC/ Bombardier? This thing costs $300 plus today?

Edit:
Bruce, nice job on finding that schematic.

If that thing gave me a bit of trouble I would be replacing it with discrete components; I.e. two relays and a breaker.
2007 Cobalt 240 with Merc 496 MAG Bravo 3
1977 18’ Beachcraft with Ford 302 V8 OMC 190
Whiskey Slough Marina
Holt, CA
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

Titaniumboy wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:33 pm So this is part was made by Evinrude Johnson /OMC/ Bombardier? This thing costs $300 plus today?

Edit:
Bruce, nice job on finding that schematic.

If that thing gave me a bit of trouble I would be replacing it with discrete components; I.e. two relays and a breaker.
1996 was in the joint venture years with Volvo and OMC. That occurred between 95 and around 99. That's why your drive is called an SX Cobra. Cobra is a holdover from OMC nomenclature.

If you need help with a debugging procedure, let me know. Just start probing with a voltmeter on those outputs, and the switch inputs, especially for the up position. You can also just bypass the switch with a jumper while you are at the relay.

Personally, I would focus on the switch since you recently changed the relay module. Take off the switch connections at the module and check for corrosion/

Little cheaper here:
https://marinepartssource.com/relay-cir ... 4UQAvD_BwE
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
Edpmiller
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Edpmiller »

Thanks bruceb58. I just replaced the switch assembly with a new one thinking that was the problem. The old switch did not look that bad but I replaced it anyway. How do I bypass the switch at the relay? I am a self-admitted novice when it comes to electrical issues.
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

Jump 12v to either one of the inputs on the module that are coming from the switch

Terminal 9 and 11are the switch inputs on the schematic. Verify the wire color.
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA