Looking to buy half way across country

(R3, R5, R7, R30, R35)
Donbobbi
Ensign
Ensign

Looking to buy half way across country

Post by Donbobbi »

So I'm looking at R5 1100 miles away. It is at a dealership, how do you go about inspecting and checking this boat out? If I'm going to spend this kind of money I want to make sure I'm not getting a POS. they will ship and wrap it but do I just need to make a read trip? Thanks for your help. It will be my first Cobalt.
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Looking to buy half way across country

Post by AsLan7 »

Hey Db…so glad you found us.

Ask the dealer for the name of a marine surveyor. Or tell us the area where the boat is located and someone here may have a name for you.

And welcome aboard mate!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
dsthomas
Captain
Captain

Post by dsthomas »

I’ve purchased cars that way before after seeing detailed pics and service records from the dealer… I don’t know about a boat? Is it under factory warranty? Like how old are we talking. I’d at the very least have it surveyed.
Kansas City, MO
2011 242 VP 5.7 GXi (Sold)
2016 A25 VP 350 (Sold)
2020 R7 Surf VP 380 (Sold)
2022 R8 Surf VP 380
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Get it surveyed. Jump in a plane! It may save you thousands ask Matt!
Check the transom at the gimbal houding! What year is it.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Post by cmattj »

Donbobbi wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:04 pm So I'm looking at R5 1100 miles away. It is at a dealership, If I'm going to spend this kind of money .It will be my first Cobalt.
Nice one.
Jump on a plane and touch it. It’s ok to even say no as it is a big investment.
Depending on years. Hours .. warranty available and remaining get a engine check with a survey ( especially if in saltwater.
Worse thing is your out $1500.00 ( travel, hotel, car rental, survey) so you can sleep well knowing your R5 is coming.
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON
stifflkd
Captain
Captain

Post by stifflkd »

I would not buy a boat unless I personally see it and take it for a run. A survey may just create more questions than answers. What is so unique with this boat. With the end of the season approaching and maybe 6 months before getting on the water I have to think you will see plenty of R5's on the market. It is probably one of Cobalts most recent popular models being on the market for almost 10 years
2021 R5 Shale/Ebony
VP 5.3L 350
"$TSLA"
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Post by cmattj »

stifflkd wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:17 am A survey may just create more questions than answers.
???

I agree obviously on touching and seeing any of my boats.
Dealers can scann hours and history codes in a second.
But should someone lack the ability to determine corrosion ( salt environment) delaminates in fiberglass ( and transoms if work has been done).
Sure it’s an investment to get a survey, but at the usual 100k price it’s money well spent.

Oh unless your the selling dealer as they may not want you to survey. :shock:
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON
stifflkd
Captain
Captain

Post by stifflkd »

If I were the selling dealer I would not recommend to wait as I think maybe better and closer option could be available. It is up to you if you want to get the boat surveyed. Alot is up to the individual and their comfort level.
Last edited by stifflkd on Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2021 R5 Shale/Ebony
VP 5.3L 350
"$TSLA"
CobaltDeadHead
Captain
Captain

Post by CobaltDeadHead »

I'd wait a month unless there's something particularly special about this one R5. As others have said, there will be many more available on the market shortly as the season closes out.

If you are going to travel that far for probably their most popular model, it should have something particularly special about it, like a blue engine.
2005 Cobalt 24SX 350Mag
2010 Key West 186 DC - retired
Lake Winnipesaukee
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

CobaltDeadHead wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:38 am I'd wait a month unless there's something particularly special about this one R5. As others have said, there will be many more available on the market shortly as the season closes out.

If you are going to travel that far for probably their most popular model, it should have something particularly special about it, like a blue engine.
Someone say blue engine? Where? What? Blue!
I'll do it!
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Big Block Power wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:59 pm
CobaltDeadHead wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:38 am I'd wait a month unless there's something particularly special about this one R5. As others have said, there will be many more available on the market shortly as the season closes out.

Someone say blue engine? Where? What? Blue!
I'll do it!
Bring back blue!

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Lifelongbtr
Commander
Commander

Post by Lifelongbtr »

Donbobbi wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:04 pm So I'm looking at R5 1100 miles away. It is at a dealership, how do you go about inspecting and checking this boat out? If I'm going to spend this kind of money I want to make sure I'm not getting a POS. they will ship and wrap it but do I just need to make a read trip? Thanks for your help. It will be my first Cobalt.
Go check it out in person, maybe after the survey and all maintenance records are received. You need to see and drive it before you sign.

As others have said, does this particular boat have uncommon options? There are a ton of R5’s for sale around this part of the country, and I bet that increases some….
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Krob1114 »

Donbobbi wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:04 pm So I'm looking at R5 1100 miles away. It is at a dealership, how do you go about inspecting and checking this boat out? If I'm going to spend this kind of money I want to make sure I'm not getting a POS. they will ship and wrap it but do I just need to make a read trip? Thanks for your help. It will be my first Cobalt.
I agree with others. Your tag shows you're in Iowa. Boats around here are cheaper in September and October. There should be something within driving distance pretty soon.
2019 Cobalt R3 @ Greers Ferry Lake, AR
Home in Hernando, MS