Trailer Recommendation

kas232ca
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Trailer Recommendation

Post by kas232ca »

Tuscany wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:54 am Torsion axles are just TOUGH on tires in tandem. A killer on tri-axles.. My old cheap junk shorelinr trailer that came with my old boat would squeak and creak over every road..
Never a sound out of the spring set Loadmaster uses, most likely because there is no frame flex using C channel.
What brakes did you go with on your Loadmaster?
2006 Cobalt 232 8.1 420hp.
Lake Havasu, AZ
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

Tuscany wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:54 am My old cheap junk shorelinr trailer that came with my old boat would squeak and creak over every road..
Never a sound out of the spring set Loadmaster uses, most likely because there is no frame flex using C channel.
On my travel trailer with leaf springs, I use greaseable shackle bolts...quiet as a mouse.

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007HRICH2/re ... UTF8&psc=1

Another problem with torsion axles...bent spindles. Its not actually the spindle that bends but the torsion arm that the spindle attaches to. On an RV site I am on, tons of bent spindles from hitting pot holes.
2017 R5 350HP Mercruiser Bravo III
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

kas232ca wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 1:17 pm
Tuscany wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:54 am Torsion axles are just TOUGH on tires in tandem. A killer on tri-axles.. My old cheap junk shorelinr trailer that came with my old boat would squeak and creak over every road..
What brakes did you go with on your Loadmaster?
I did the EOH system with Kodiak stainless disc brakes.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

bruceb58 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:25 am
Tuscany wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:54 am My old cheap junk shorelinr trailer that came with my old boat would squeak and creak over every road..
On my travel trailer with leaf springs, I use greaseable shackle bolts...quiet as a mouse.

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007HRICH2/re ... UTF8&psc=1

Another problem with torsion axles...bent spindles. Its not actually the spindle that bends but the torsion arm that the spindle attaches to. On an RV site I am on, tons of bent spindles from hitting pot holes.

I can see why trailer builders like to use torsion over installing a spring system.
Torsion is simple install and set up. Just weld on the axles and go.
In fact, simplicity is the only draw I see for the builder. I just never got the attraction for the buyer. If there is ever a problem, it’s the cutting wheel and a new axle, if there is an axle near by to buy and install, where springs can be easily serviced.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine