Mooring Cover & Boat Lift

(non-boating; no politics!)
Slick070
Ensign
Ensign

Mooring Cover & Boat Lift

Post by Slick070 »

HI, new poster. Bought a 2019 R5 surf about a year ago. I'm looking to buy a mooring cover (cover the full length of the boat in one cover), but don't want any straps going underneath the boat. Is the manufacturer the only/best option? Are there any good third parties that people have had experience with?

Secondarily, I'm in the market for boat lift for my slip in my marina and would welcome anyone's feedback on brands, etc. Reached out to hydrohoist, but my impression of them was that they are very expensive.

I'm in GA, btw.

Thx!
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Mooring Cover & Boat Lift

Post by AsLan7 »

Howdy Slick….
So glad you found us.

I’m a big fan of Westland mooring covers. Have you contacted them? They have the ratchet draw string around the edge meeting your no strap requirement and the material is first rate.

Any pics of your R5?

And welcome aboard mate!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
sailor55330
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Mooring Cover & Boat Lift

Post by sailor55330 »

Welcome-

You are correct--Hydrohoist is widelyconsidered the "best" boat lift by many I have an older one and can say they are built like tanks, or at least mine is. I t hink a lot of it is marketing. WIth that being said, Floatair seems to be a solid make as well. Around here it seems like every dock builder sells a different brand. I've never really heard of a bad one. The installing dealer makes a huge difference as well. I ended up adjusting my own bunks after they installed it because after 2 tries the boat still sat crooked. At lot of it depends on what your dock situation is. Do you need a floating liftwith tanks that displace air--this usually goes with a floating dock or are you on a fixed pole dock in which case you will use a cable-hoist style of set up. I will say one thing I don't like about the floating lifts is that when you put the boat on the lift and start to raise it, it "thumps" the bottom pretty good. The lift is basically 2 submerged tanks that you displace water out of. Think of it like a submarine on an emergency ascent, once it gains positive boyancy, there's no stopping it. It probably sounds worse than it is, but it still makes me wince everytime, even if it is flat bunk boards.

Be sure to get the one that is the right weight for your boat. My lift is older and allegedly rated for 6,000lbs. It lifts my R3, but I don' t think I'd put an R5 on it. They are all expensive when new----be prepared for north of 10k....