Golf carts

(non-boating; no politics!)
sailor55330
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Golf carts

Post by sailor55330 »

Many lakes are man made by the Army Corps of Engineers--Lake Lanier is one such lake. The ACOE is the active governing body and they literally have a "corps line" around the entire lake to preserve the natural look of the shoreline. Your property line is on the corps line. It's a buffer zone of land between your property and the lake shore that the corps of engineers owns as part of the lake. Natural lakes do not have these. Some lines are closer than others to the waters edge. You are allowed to clear a path to your dock that is 6ft wide in a "naturally winding layout". If you take out a tree, it's a $5,000 fine per tree. If a tree falls in a storm, it has to lay where it is unless it impedes the use of a dock or the path. They lake is patrolled by rangers and they have the authority to grant dock permits, golf cart permits, electrical and water permits and stair permits---and the power to revoke them on the spot. Most rangers are pretty decent guys that use common sense, but just like anything, there are some that follow the rules to the letter in a black and white fashion and have a zero tolerance policy. For example, you aren't supposed fly any flags other than the American Flag or a military branch flag---it can actually be a ticketable offense. In some areas, the rangers look the other way, but there are some that break out the ticket pad with no warnings. The ACOE actually has a lot of power on the lake and you don't want to cross them.
drtbar
Commander
Commander

Post by drtbar »

sailor55330 wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:10 am Many lakes are man made by the Army Corps of Engineers--Lake Lanier is one such lake. The ACOE is the active governing body and they literally have a "corps line" around the entire lake to preserve the natural look of the shoreline. Your property line is on the corps line. It's a buffer zone of land between your property and the lake shore that the corps of engineers owns as part of the lake. Natural lakes do not have these. Some lines are closer than others to the waters edge. You are allowed to clear a path to your dock that is 6ft wide in a "naturally winding layout". If you take out a tree, it's a $5,000 fine per tree. If a tree falls in a storm, it has to lay where it is unless it impedes the use of a dock or the path. They lake is patrolled by rangers and they have the authority to grant dock permits, golf cart permits, electrical and water permits and stair permits---and the power to revoke them on the spot. Most rangers are pretty decent guys that use common sense, but just like anything, there are some that follow the rules to the letter in a black and white fashion and have a zero tolerance policy. For example, you aren't supposed fly any flags other than the American Flag or a military branch flag---it can actually be a ticketable offense. In some areas, the rangers look the other way, but there are some that break out the ticket pad with no warnings. The ACOE actually has a lot of power on the lake and you don't want to cross them.
Oh wow. I had no idea. Didn't realize there was such a stark contrast of rules between natural and man made lakes. I feel for ya.
2022 R6
Mona Lake - Lake Michigan, Norton Shores, MI
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Krob1114 »

Greers Ferry Lake is an ACOE lake, but they don't have near as much presence as the local Mississippi lake down the road from me. I hardly ever see them patrolling, maybe 3-4 times in 10 years.

At GFL, all around the lake they have what they call a white line. They actually mark the trees with a white painted ring. You are not allowed to cut down and trees on the lake side of the white line. Houses that have the white line in the water have a higher selling price. Some really nice houses have the white line so far up that they can't hardly see the water.

A wealthy gentleman, I heard he was a doctor, cut down a tree blocking his view in what is called Hurricane Bay. The corps takes pictures, realized he cut the tree, and fined him $5,000. Wow, that's not too bad for a man with plenty of money, so he cut down another tree. The corps came back and fined him $10,000 for second offense and took his dock privileges. Probably lowered the value of his home between $50-100k. I think the rest of the trees remain.
2019 Cobalt R3 @ Greers Ferry Lake, AR
Home in Hernando, MS
sailor55330
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by sailor55330 »

Krob1114 wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:48 am Greers Ferry Lake is an ACOE lake, but they don't have near as much presence as the local Mississippi lake down the road from me. I hardly ever see them patrolling, maybe 3-4 times in 10 years.

At GFL, all around the lake they have what they call a white line. They actually mark the trees with a white painted ring. You are not allowed to cut down and trees on the lake side of the white line. Houses that have the white line in the water have a higher selling price. Some really nice houses have the white line so far up that they can't hardly see the water.

A wealthy gentleman, I heard he was a doctor, cut down a tree blocking his view in what is called Hurricane Bay. The corps takes pictures, realized he cut the tree, and fined him $5,000. Wow, that's not too bad for a man with plenty of money, so he cut down another tree. The corps came back and fined him $10,000 for second offense and took his dock privileges. Probably lowered the value of his home between $50-100k. I think the rest of the trees remain.
The corps line is marked in red here. It. happens. My ranger told me a story of a guy who cut 20 trees….the core fined him. He asked how much—5k a tree. He told his contractor to take out another 20. Also was told of an 84 yr old that used a golf cart without a permit. They only had their dock privIleges suspended for 5 years. The corps can be brutal. If I had known them what I know now. Lol

They took his dock permit.
xlint89
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by xlint89 »

I was going to suggest a Bad Boy Buggy, but your no 4X4 rules just scrapped that idea. Lifted elec golf cart with lots of power. Saw one with 72V
sailor55330
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by sailor55330 »

xlint89 wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:48 pm I was going to suggest a Bad Boy Buggy, but your no 4X4 rules just scrapped that idea. Lifted elec golf cart with lots of power. Saw one with 72V
I've read about the bad boy buggies, but they are plagued with issues and longevity concerns. I've driven a 72v cart and it was nice, but they upped the drivetrain at the expense of frame and amenities to keep it price competitive. Golf Carts are a strange animal...
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

Sailor I just saw this thread so maybe I can give you some insight.

If you're looking at used, stay away from a 36 volt cart. I had one that was all tricked out but I didn't know that they were only designed to go wide open from hole to hole on the golf course. If you feather the foot pedal around the lake or a neighborhood you'll burn it up. So it went down the road motors.

After that I bought a 48 volt Bad Boy that was lifted with big wheels and tires and tricked out as well. Supposedly the batteries were new but after 2 years I was putting a new set in. Big Time frustrated at that, but that thing would run 25 miles an hour on flat ground. As I said, it was tricked out and I really liked it, but after I replaced the batteries I had to do it again in about 4 years. I was very meticulous with my maintenance, and the place I bought them from assured me they would last 8 years if they were cared for. Bull crap..
So it went down the road motors as well.

I buy, sell and swap all the time. So I've been through a number of carts. Now I have an E-Z-Go six seater gas machine. It has the largest Kawasaki motor you can put in one and it does great. Even with six people seated and two goons hanging off the side it will pull the driveway to my place and that's pretty steep. That being said, I like the quietness of an electric cart. That's why I kept trying to make one of those work. But I got sick of buying batteries!

I will say that a Club Car handles and drives better. My E-Z-Go does really good but with the lift it has on it the turning radius is pretty limited. I have a Club Car six seater for sale now that's electric and it turns way sharper than my easy go.

Some people opt for a side-by-side, and that's a good option but it's pretty pricey. Hope this helps
20190906_110414.jpg
Screenshot_20210901-142512_Facebook.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Good to hear from ya’ yt!
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
sailor55330
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by sailor55330 »

Thanks YT_

You confirmed a lot of my thoughts....36v is definitely not an option. I do like the club cars but they are painfully expensive. The core really frowns on SxS's. I haven't even gotten a permit and don't know if I will be granted one. I've driven a lot of club cars and EZ go's around golf carts....Club Car Onward would be my choice if money was no object. If I ever do get one, I'm really leaning towards a Yamaha gas as they claim to be as quiet as an electric and seem to be close to bullet proof. I've not really found much out about how the pull hills and I don't know if they are easy to lift.

I appreciate the insights! Nice Pics BTW