From a Chris-Craft to a Cobalt

LakeLife77
Ensign
Ensign

From a Chris-Craft to a Cobalt

Post by LakeLife77 »

Just wanted to introduce myself. Been lurking for a year, and finally got my account set-up. We purchased a new to us 2014 Cobalt R5 with the VP 380 last year. Bought it from Candlewood Lake at the Cobalt dealer as it only had 199 hours. I would say it is a bit of an upgrade from our 2000 Chris-Craft bowrider that had a fuel injected 5.0. Had that boat for 14 years. But my wife wanted something that rode nicer and had a bathroom. We love to boat on Lake Wylie, SC and I felt the only upgrade from a Chris-Craft was a Cobalt. No Regrets at all. Looing forward to learning more about these boats, and hopefully helping out some others
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2000 Chris-Craft BR VP 5.0 MPI
2014 Cobalt R5 VP 380
milkerson10
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: From a Chris-Craft to a Cobalt

Post by milkerson10 »

Beautiful boat, welcome to the forum, you will enjoy that boat for years and years to come
NautiWeasel
Commander
Commander

Post by NautiWeasel »

Look @ that reflection!
Welcome, glad to have you.
Greg,
Nauti Weasel
2014 Cobalt 242 w/380hp Volvo Penta
SOLD: 2007 Rinker Captiva 192 w/200 hp Volvo
SOLD: 2005 Beachcomber Islander 26 pontoon w/90 hp Merc.
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

So glad you found us LL77!

Curious your impressions of the Cobalt vs Chris Craft (pluses and/or minuses). What do you miss on the CC?

Nice pics.

And welcome aboard mate!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
LakeLife77
Ensign
Ensign

Post by LakeLife77 »

Well Owning a Chris-Craft was a dream come true. I grew up on Chautauqua Lake and my dad had a 1962 26’ Chris-Craft Cavalier.
The build quality and design was ahead of its time. I would see 10 year newer boats that were not built as well and looked older than ours. In 14 years of owning it, besides a water pump and having to rebuild the trim and power steering rams (seals dried after 20 years) that boat ran flawless. The Gel-coat was still shiny when I sold it. Electrical connections were much like Cobalt and switch gear, gel-coat and vinyl are both premium over other brands IMHO. It was faster than the Cobalt, but rode rough. The R5 really cuts through chop, which my wife loves. I feel both Cobalt & Chris-Craft have a timeless look and always get complements at the sandbar or dock.
2000 Chris-Craft BR VP 5.0 MPI
2014 Cobalt R5 VP 380
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

LakeLife77 wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 2:37 pm Well Owning a Chris-Craft was a dream come true. I grew up on Chautauqua Lake and my dad had a 1962 26’ Chris-Craft Cavalier.
The build quality and design was ahead of its time. I would see 10 year newer boats that were not built as well and looked older than ours. In 14 years of owning it, besides a water pump and having to rebuild the trim and power steering rams (seals dried after 20 years) that boat ran flawless. The Gel-coat was still shiny when I sold it. Electrical connections were much like Cobalt and switch gear, gel-coat and vinyl are both premium over other brands IMHO. It was faster than the Cobalt, but rode rough. The R5 really cuts through chop, which my wife loves. I feel both Cobalt & Chris-Craft have a timeless look and always get complements at the sandbar or dock.
Both are great boats. Thanks for the input LL77. Enjoy!
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Krob1114 »

LakeLife77 wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 2:37 pm Well Owning a Chris-Craft was a dream come true. I grew up on Chautauqua Lake and my dad had a 1962 26’ Chris-Craft Cavalier.
Welcome. Great boat. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. There are not many Chris-Craft boats in our area, so I can't compare them, but looking at 15-20 year old Cobalts on our lake was why we purcased one. The R5 is a great boat.
2019 Cobalt R3 @ Greers Ferry Lake, AR
Home in Hernando, MS