240 new interior help

(190 through 360)
jeffmack
Ensign
Ensign

240 new interior help

Post by jeffmack »

hello
my 06 240 has been a great boat for us, but the vinyl is looking bad. starting to crack and has black freckles that will not come out. has anyone had their older boat redone? materials? costs? thanks mates
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: 240 new interior help

Post by bruceb58 »

Since 90% of the job is labor, A lot is going to depend on where you live. Could range from $5K to $10K
2017 R5 350HP Mercruiser Bravo III
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
SAB220
Captain
Captain

Post by SAB220 »

The more you can take off the boat (unscrew seat cushions/backs) and take to somebody the better because they can immediately work on it from the a table (less labor). Also I would try to do off season if possible. For the back deck/engine hatch someone 3/4 years ago restoring a boat a totally stripped the cushions from the back deck/engine hatch. Great pictures of the hatch with no cushioning (stripped). Maybe Aslan7 remembers the post.

The other thing you need to remember is after you clean it you have to protect the vinyl from the sun. Just like the high performance rub on hull wax protects the gelcoat color.
2004 220
jeffmack
Ensign
Ensign

Post by jeffmack »

thanks for the insight. I am near lake keowee, SC may look to set this up and strip the boat myself this winter
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Krob1114 »

jeffmack wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 6:28 am hello
my 06 240 has been a great boat for us, but the vinyl is looking bad. starting to crack and has black freckles that will not come out. has anyone had their older boat redone? materials? costs? thanks mates
What have you tried on the black freckles?
2019 Cobalt R3 @ Greers Ferry Lake, AR
Home in Hernando, MS
DEcosse
Commander
Commander

Post by DEcosse »

Not a boat, but I just had my 51 Chevy Truck seats done by a local guy who does a combination of auto and marine re-upholstery
He uses marine grade vinyl either way.
So just to give you some idea of some pricing .....
The bench seat below was $750 which I would say was an absolute steal.
That included a new cover over the springs (a sort or Scothbrite type of pad vs the original burlap) and the foam and material plus the manufacture and installation of them on the seat frames (I pulled the seats from the truck and just dropped them off)
He also made my full-height door panels (see the original pic where they are only about 12" tall, essentially just the area where the handles are), which included making the 22ga steel panels and then covering similarly to the seats - for $250 the pair!
I was able to pick from hundreds of fabric options and I designed the layout I wanted with the pleats.
He was kinda funny when I first called - he said bench seat and back $750 - I said I wanted a specific layout with the pleats etc and he said, doesn't matter, whatever design you want, it's $750 :mrgreen:

I'm in the Pacific NW (Seattle area) and I would think it might be lower cost down your way; but again it depends on what/who you can find. My guy was a solo operation and you might have better luck with someone similar, alhough correspondingly their wait list might be longer.
Don't forget to check with auto-upholstery shops - even if they don't typically specialize in Marine, they would likely consider I expect.

So you just need to shop around and find a local house and see what kind of estimates you get. As noted above, this time of year is also likely to have a fair extended lead time, wherever you find (and if they don't they may not be worth using! :mrgreen: )

20220921_110912_resized.jpg
20230512_174255.jpg
Incidentally I was going for 'old baseball glove' look. I initially asked him about leather and he wouldn't even entertain it. Convinced me over phone that the modern vinyls were so much better and whan I saw the pattern books I was doubly convinced. Actually, even my Mercedes does not have real leather and most are hard pushed to recognize that it's not.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2006 Cobalt 232
Volvo Penta 8.1L OSi
Key Pensinsula, Washington