John's minor stereo upgrade

(Stereos, Chartplotters, Fish Finders, etc.)
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

John's minor stereo upgrade

Post by jhnmdahl »

So, I finally took the power tools to the boat, and started my upgrade from the base factory stereo. My first stage upgrade involves a second battery along with an add-a-battery kit from Blue Sea, a M600/6 amplifier from JL Audio, and six 6.5" (really a bit bigger - more on that later) Roswell R1 coaxial speakers. No sub or new head unit at this time, but they may be part of the next stage so I'm running fairly robust power wire during this part of the upgrade. I was able to listen to the Roswell speakers relative to Wet Sounds and JL audio, and was torn between JL and Roswell but went with Roswell for a sound that felt just a bit smoother to my ears. Plus, Cobalt uses Roswell as an upgrade from their package that has JL speakers, so they must be better, right? :)

I decided to put the amplifier in the same cavity as the glove box with the head unit in my 210, and to modify one of the two plywood carpeted panels to accommodate wiring reaching the exposed amplifier through the carpeted plywood wall. Here's a photo showing the rear of one of the new speakers, the location of the amplifier, the new speaker wiring, and some of the wiring from the head unit to the amp. The "front" amp output goes to channels 1 and 2, for the bow, and the "rear" amp output drives channels 3 and 4 for the cockpit as well as channels 5 and 6 for the rear cockpit via y-adapter cables.
IMG_3827.jpg
The speakers by the feet of the captain's chairs were the easy ones as there was no upholstery - just a hole that had to be enlarged by maybe 1/4" all around to accomodate the Roswell R1 speakers being larger than the factory-original Kicker KM61 speakers. I bought all white Roswell speakers, so they blend better with the white fiberglass but stand out against the charcoal fabric in the front and rear of the boat. Connectors on the new speaker were Amphenol waterproof connectors, and so I ordered appropriate mating connectors from Digi-Key and soldered the pins rather than buying a specialty crimper. Part numbers were 889-1206-ND and 889-1207-ND, which are the male and female versions of the connector.
IMG_3828.jpg
Holes for the speakers were enlarged by tracing out the larger sized hole using a template and a Sharpie, and then carving out the material to the Sharpie line to make the hole bigger using a Foredom TX tool (like a big Dremel tool) and carbide-toothed burr bit. Rough edges were smoothed over with a cordless drill and 2" sanding drum, and upholstery was peeled back to expose the fiberglass in places where the hole openings were upholstered previously. I used 3M Super 77 spray adhesive to reattach the upholstery when done and fold it around the hole opening because it's what I had on hand.

Although I had to enlarge the holes for the new Roswell speakers to fit, the four screws to mount them mercifully lined up exactly with the holes for the Kicker speakers and I was able to reuse the old screws and screw holes without any modifications. The speakers liked up perfectly square despite looking a bit askew in the below photo, and a rotating trim ring snaps on to cover the screw holes.
IMG_3829.jpg
More details to follow once the 1ga wire for the battery, 4ga wire for the amplifier power, and other bits and pieces arrive from International Marine, who had the best prices on heavy gauge copper wire...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: John's minor stereo upgrade

Post by jhnmdahl »

To expand the speaker holes to fit the new speakers, I ended up tracing out the new hole size using a sharpie, then grinding close to the sharpie line with a Foredom tool with a carbide grinder bit. In the front and rear, I ended up having to pull back the upholstery a bit to get at the fiberglass, and expand the cuts in the upholstery a bit to have room to work. The cuts were all covered by the speaker after the holes were enlarged and the upholstery was glued back down.

The tool I used is basically a Dremel on steroids:

https://www.amazon.com/Foredom-M-TX-TXR ... 000NOQWJG/

with a burr bit something like:

https://www.amazon.com/2Cutting-Diamete ... 01NCIKTGS/

After doing the bulk of the material removal with the Foredom, I used a drum sander or spindle sander attachment on my cordless drill to smooth out the rough edges and make the curves smooth.

Not the exact thing, but I used something much like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Inch-Drive-Drill ... 07TDQ9QH2/

John
ajcampen
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ajcampen »

looks great so far John. I just added M6 7.7 tower speakers and love it. I plan on upgrading my speakers at some point in the future and will follow this post. The speakers look great so far. I'll have to go into the cavity and see what I am playing with.

I did upgrade my sony head unit this year to a new sony with bluetooth and I love that new feature. i used to have a little plug in bt adapter but this is better.
2016 R7 VP 380
2014 220S Merc 5.0L (sold)
Columbus, OH
Chautauqua, NY
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Looking good John!!
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

ajcampen wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:48 am looks great so far John. I just added M6 7.7 tower speakers and love it. I plan on upgrading my speakers at some point in the future and will follow this post. The speakers look great so far. I'll have to go into the cavity and see what I am playing with.

I did upgrade my sony head unit this year to a new sony with bluetooth and I love that new feature. i used to have a little plug in bt adapter but this is better.
I was happy to see that even in my 210 there appears to be speaker wiring for the tower preinstalled. It’s maybe 16 gauge, but way better than having to figure it out from scratch. We don’t really have a present need to project sound out of the boat, but if Jack is wakeboarding in ten years and we don’t have an R3 or R5 yet, who knows.
ajcampen
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ajcampen »

jhnmdahl wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:54 pm
ajcampen wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:48 am looks great so far John. I just added M6 7.7 tower speakers and love it. I plan on upgrading my speakers at some point in the future and will follow this post. The speakers look great so far. I'll have to go into the cavity and see what I am playing with.

I was happy to see that even in my 210 there appears to be speaker wiring for the tower preinstalled. It’s maybe 16 gauge, but way better than having to figure it out from scratch. We don’t really have a present need to project sound out of the boat, but if Jack is wakeboarding in ten years and we don’t have an R3 or R5 yet, who knows.
That’s not why I did it. I wanted transom speakers so when I was in the water I could listen to music. My wife would be in the boat and always turning it down so she could chat as I floated behind it. I decided instead of cutting holes in the transom to try tower speakers. It totally solved that problem, sound amazing and have the benefit of projecting to tubers or skiers

The pre run wires work to run the JL M6 7.7 tower speakers. Last year I had 8 inch Rockford speakers but they broke and I switched to JL which were designed better. Thankfully got a full credit by my car audio company
2016 R7 VP 380
2014 220S Merc 5.0L (sold)
Columbus, OH
Chautauqua, NY
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

Good to know, AJ. We have an inflatable tie behind, but I’m sure when Jack gets older we will end up with a lily pad or similar and spend more time floating behind the boat. I suspect this is only the first stage of upgrades for our boat, but it should lay a good foundation for future improvements.
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

Upgrade, version 2.0 is underway. James Taylor at CreativeAudio.net put together a nice deal on a Rockford Fosgate PMX-5CAN to go in my glove box in place of my old Sony head unit, and a PMX-1R remote to fill the 3" hole in the dash by the steering wheel. I'll need a special cable to connect the remote to the head unit once I've looked at the boat to know whether I'm routing it around the bow under the gunwale, or going under the center (the cables are available in several different lengths).

https://creativeaudio.net/pmx-5can/

https://creativeaudio.net/pmx-1r/

One of the biggest reasons for the upgrade is the clear display and controls on the Rockford Fosgate relative to the Sony that came stock. When listening to albums off a flash drive last summer full of different directories (one for each album, named with artist and album name), Sony simply numbered each directory sequentially on the user interface. So, to find Jimmy Buffet, you had to see that there were about 400 albums in total, guess maybe album 170 or so, and see how close you were. It sucked.

Only quirk so far with the Rockford Fosgate unit is that it only recognizes files and directories on a flash drive formatted FAT or FAT32 (not NTFS). The GUI formatter built in to Windows will only format flash drives 32gig or smaller as FAT32, so flash drives larger than 32gig have to be formatted using command line commands or with an aftermarket program.

EDIT:
I got a couple bad units in a row from Rockford Fosgate, and the flash drive limitation is worse than I knew - you can only have 999 files on a single drive, which makes it a poor choice for the way I use my boat stereo. After a conversation with James Taylor at Creative Audio, I ended up upgrading to a Fusion RA670 with ERX400 remote. I'll start a new thread on that install here: viewtopic.php?p=113535
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Nice Jmd!
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO