5.7 GXI just shut off and wont turn over

Birdanski
Commander
Commander

5.7 GXI just shut off and wont turn over

Post by Birdanski »

I hope everyone is enjoying the start of summer. I was out in by 2007 cobalt 212 yesterday and was going about 15mph when the engine just shut off and then beeped one time. When I tried to restart it the engine cranks but wont turn over. There is power (battery charge is fine), spark plugs are new, and the gauges look normal but it just wont start. has anyone had this happen? Any ideas on where to start? Its a Volvo Penta 5.7GXI

Any ideas are very much appreciated!
Birdanski
Commander
Commander

Re: 5.7 GXI just shut off and wont turn over

Post by Birdanski »

Update...I switched relays and the fuel pump is running. But there is no spark before the distributor cap so it looks like the problem is there is no power to the primary coil and not sure what else. I would appreciate any ideas anyone has, haha.
kas232ca
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by kas232ca »

Sounds like the safety switch
2006 Cobalt 232 8.1 420hp.
Lake Havasu, AZ
Birdanski
Commander
Commander

Post by Birdanski »

Yea I checked the kill switch right away. It is pushed all the way back so it was straight up and down under the dash (attached pic). I was hoping it was that, ha!
Birdanski
Commander
Commander

Post by Birdanski »

To close this out in case anyone else has this issue after a month of troubleshooting....unfortunately the computer chip in the engine went out. And of course Volvo has that part overpriced at $2200 right now. The engine only has 300 hours on it. I hope this doesnt happen to anyone else!
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Birdanski wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:37 pm To close this out in case anyone else has this issue after a month of troubleshooting....unfortunately the computer chip in the engine went out. And of course Volvo has that part overpriced at $2200 right now. The engine only has 300 hours on it. I hope this doesnt happen to anyone else!
Thanks for the follow up birdanski.
Sorry that's the case for you. :cry:
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Birdanski
Commander
Commander

Post by Birdanski »

Soooo, the final chapter to the saga above took a little twist and thought I would post in case anyone else ever has this issue. After purchasing the new ECU from Volvo penta for $2,200 it turns it out that wasnt the issue. The ECU had been shutting down...however, it was shutting down due to a short in the trim gauge wire that for some reason triggers the ECU to shut off if it isnt working correctly. So the good news is that was a simple fix (unplug the trim gauge wire from the ECU)...the bad news is that the local Volvo dealer wouldlnt take the ECU back even 15min after I bought it. SOOOOOO, if anyone is looking for a brand new ECU for a Volvo Penta GXI 5.7 im your guy :) Just DM if you are interested...it is for a sale at a good price :)

Hope no one else has to go through this similar ordeal...but wanted to post in case it helps someone or if anyone is looking for a replacement ECU for a good price.

happy 4th everyone!
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Wow.
Thanks for the follow up Birdanski.
Maybe someone here will take you up on that offer. Give it some time.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Krob1114 »

Birdanski wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 1:11 pm Soooo, the final chapter to the saga above took a little twist and thought I would post in case anyone else ever has this issue. After purchasing the new ECU from Volvo penta for $2,200 it turns it out that wasnt the issue. The ECU had been shutting down...however, it was shutting down due to a short in the trim gauge wire that for some reason triggers the ECU to shut off if it isnt working correctly. So the good news is that was a simple fix (unplug the trim gauge wire from the ECU)...the bad news is that the local Volvo dealer wouldlnt take the ECU back even 15min after I bought it. SOOOOOO, if anyone is looking for a brand new ECU for a Volvo Penta GXI 5.7 im your guy :) Just DM if you are interested...it is for a sale at a good price :)

Hope no one else has to go through this similar ordeal...but wanted to post in case it helps someone or if anyone is looking for a replacement ECU for a good price.

happy 4th everyone!
You might want to put your ECU on a new thread where people will see exactly what you have. It could be missed hidden here.
2019 Cobalt R3 @ Greers Ferry Lake, AR
Home in Hernando, MS