Lake Tahoe Cobalts

(AK, CA, HI, OR, WA)
Lifelongbtr
Commander
Commander

Re: Lake Tahoe Cobalts

Post by Lifelongbtr »

shredX wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 5:25 pm
Lifelongbtr wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:50 pm Very nice shred, I once owned a 202br, it was a really great boat while we owned it. What motor do you have in the 220?
Thanks! My 202 had a 5.0 Merc. The 220 has the 6.2 Merc. I guess it is propped for top speed vs hole shot. I don't have much historically to compare to, but man the power feels good. Ha!

When we took it out, the engine did run a little rough, and sputtered or cut out just a little at WOT. It was the first time on the water after being winterized, and the previous owner only had a tiny bit of fuel in the tank. We just added some fresh gas and plan to take it out tomorrow for a sunset cruise to see how she does. Fingers crossed I don't have to deal with a fuel filter or pump.
Not 100% if it makes a difference, but it seems to make sense, if the tank is empty it will accumulate more moisture, and that can cause issues. They sell a few products that will get rid of it, Heet I believe is one and you can buy at any auto parts store. May be worth it. With all the ethanol they put in our gas where I live I’ve always hated leaving gas in the tank. Now I do leave it full and use stabil to begin and heet before starting the season…

My 202 was carbureted and since then I’ve had injected boats, seems to make a difference especially @ 6000’.
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

Lifelongbtr wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:50 pm
shredX wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 5:25 pm
Lifelongbtr wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:50 pm Very nice shred, I once owned a 202br, it was a really great boat while we owned it. What motor do you have in the 220?
Thanks! My 202 had a 5.0 Merc. The 220 has the 6.2 Merc. I guess it is propped for top speed vs hole shot. I don't have much historically to compare to, but man the power feels good. Ha!

When we took it out, the engine did run a little rough, and sputtered or cut out just a little at WOT. It was the first time on the water after being winterized, and the previous owner only had a tiny bit of fuel in the tank. We just added some fresh gas and plan to take it out tomorrow for a sunset cruise to see how she does. Fingers crossed I don't have to deal with a fuel filter or pump.
Not 100% if it makes a difference, but it seems to make sense, if the tank is empty it will accumulate more moisture, and that can cause issues. They sell a few products that will get rid of it, Heet I believe is one and you can buy at any auto parts store. May be worth it. With all the ethanol they put in our gas where I live I’ve always hated leaving gas in the tank. Now I do leave it full and use stabil to begin and heet before starting the season…

My 202 was carbureted and since then I’ve had injected boats, seems to make a difference especially @ 6000’.
Not enough moisture at all to worry about. If the gas has ethanol, it would soak up any moisture anyway.

I always store my boat with as little gas in it as possible.
2017 R5 350HP Mercruiser Bravo III
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

shredX wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 5:25 pmWhen we took it out, the engine did run a little rough, and sputtered or cut out just a little at WOT. It was the first time on the water after being winterized, and the previous owner only had a tiny bit of fuel in the tank. We just added some fresh gas and plan to take it out tomorrow for a sunset cruise to see how she does. Fingers crossed I don't have to deal with a fuel filter or pump.
I replace my fuel filters every season. Filters are cheap.

Out of curiosity, did you change props for the high altitude? If not, you likely need to. My boat has a 3" lower pitch prop that n it would have at sea level. See what your WOT RPMs are when you go out again.
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
Lifelongbtr
Commander
Commander

Post by Lifelongbtr »

Agreed, the prop should be checked.

If you're coming out of Reno, not sure what gas you're getting and if ethanol is a concern, below is worth a read going forward, keep the tank full and stabilized off season is what every boat mechanic has always told me.

https://www.boatus.com/expert-advice/ex ... k%20walls.
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

Lifelongbtr wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:14 pm Agreed, the prop should be checked.

If you're coming out of Reno, not sure what gas you're getting and if ethanol is a concern, below is worth a read going forward, keep the tank full and stabilized off season is what every boat mechanic has always told me.

https://www.boatus.com/expert-advice/ex ... k%20walls.
This is what the Mercury srvice manual says for my 2017 6.2L

Since I am in Tahoe, I only can get gasoline with ethanol in it.
FueltankE10 (1).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
shredX
Ensign
Ensign

Post by shredX »

Thank you for the input from everyone.

The prior owner had us drop the boat at the shop they have used the last 5 or 6 years. Whatever the issue, they are taking care of it. Great family who just want the next family to enjoy their old boat. I hope to do the same when we sell our Crownline.

I am not sure how the boat is prop'd, but a random on the ramp commented that it looked like it is more for top end vs hole shot. I'll have to check it out. The prior owner's son is in his mid 20's. He said he and his friends had zero issues wakeboarding last summer.

I know we need all the rain we can get, but we are super excited for it to dry up and warm up to get out on the water!
2005 220 6.2L
Verdi, NV
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

shredX wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:41 am Thank you for the input from everyone.

The prior owner had us drop the boat at the shop they have used the last 5 or 6 years. Whatever the issue, they are taking care of it. Great family who just want the next family to enjoy their old boat. I hope to do the same when we sell our Crownline.

I am not sure how the boat is prop'd, but a random on the ramp commented that it looked like it is more for top end vs hole shot. I'll have to check it out. The prior owner's son is in his mid 20's. He said he and his friends had zero issues wakeboarding last summer.

I know we need all the rain we can get, but we are super excited for it to dry up and warm up to get out on the water!
Hey ShredX...so glad you found us my friend. Thanks for the pics too. The memories you're going to make on that 220 will be priceless.

Welcome aboard mate.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Krob1114 »

shredX wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:41 am
Central Arkansas where we boat hasn't had measurable rain since May 12th. Send some our way if you can spare it.
In my perfect world, it would rain Tuesday thru Thursday and sun would shine all weekend.

Welcome. We like photos here. Post some of your new to you Cobalt.
2019 Cobalt R3 @ Greers Ferry Lake, AR
Home in Hernando, MS
shredX
Ensign
Ensign

Post by shredX »

Krob1114 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:34 am
shredX wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:41 am
Central Arkansas where we boat hasn't had measurable rain since May 12th. Send some our way if you can spare it.
In my perfect world, it would rain Tuesday thru Thursday and sun would shine all weekend.

Welcome. We like photos here. Post some of your new to you Cobalt.
This is the only other pic of the boat. Had it a few days, then dropped it off at the shop.
I'll post some pics in the water for sure!
2005 220 6.2L
Verdi, NV
carrera
Commander
Commander

Post by carrera »

Just got up here for the summer...boat put on buoy (west shore between TC and Sunnyside) a few days ago. Looking forward to a full lake! Can finally pick up and drop off at our pier! Have a great summer everyone!
2021 R6 Surf
VP 380
Bull0080
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Bull0080 »

Howdy all.

Hoping to have a 243, 255 or 263 in the near future on Lake Tahoe. What is the preferred props or prop pitch for the 8.1 big block dual props boats? Preferably seeking a 263 with the GXI or Mag HO. Thank you!