Electric over hydraulic brake actuator install

DFWdude
Commander
Commander

Electric over hydraulic brake actuator install

Post by DFWdude »

Looking to dump my trailer’s surge brake actuator and replace it with an EOH actuator, and have a few questions;

1) can i somehow lock my current coupler from moving when I stop/go? Is this achieved via welding the coupler in place?

2) would an hydrastar H5381-8067 be suitable for tandem axle disc brakes?
https://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Actuator ... -8067.html

I am aware of the need for a brake controller, mounting the actuator where it wont get dipped in the lake, needing a breakway kit etc etc. just asking the above questions.

Thanks
2005 272 w/ 8.1 VP GXi
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Electric over hydraulic brake actuator install

Post by jhnmdahl »

DFWdude wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:44 pm Looking to dump my trailer’s surge brake actuator and replace it with an EOH actuator, and have a few questions;

1) can i somehow lock my current coupler from moving when I stop/go? Is this achieved via welding the coupler in place?

2) would an hydrastar H5381-8067 be suitable for tandem axle disc brakes?
https://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Actuator ... -8067.html

I am aware of the need for a brake controller, mounting the actuator where it wont get dipped in the lake, needing a breakway kit etc etc. just asking the above questions.

Thanks
This should work fine for up to three axles. As for the current coupler, sometimes you can lock them with a bolt or pin, and sometimes you can remove the coupler from the tongue and bolt on a new one (e.g. https://www.etrailer.com/Straight-Tongu ... 00301.html) - it all depends on your current setup. Post a photo of your current surge coupler and the width of your tongue beam and people will be able to chime in with more info,

John
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
DFWdude
Commander
Commander

Post by DFWdude »

Thanks John.

I cant easily remove my current coupler as its fully welded, so the bolt sounds like the best approach.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2005 272 w/ 8.1 VP GXi
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

Yeah, I'm not familiar with that tongue. A lot of times they'll have a way to lock them so you can back up the trailer without having the seven-pin wiring harness attached, but I couldn't tell you from the photo whether yours has something like that or not, unless you can find a make/model somewhere on the tongue or in your trailer documents.

Another option might be to not weld it, but just plug the hydraulic chamber (with brake fluid in it) and use it as-is, but I like the idea of the tongue and hitch being solid.

You might want to check out this thread for another member who did something similar: viewtopic.php?t=4854
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
DFWdude
Commander
Commander

Post by DFWdude »

Mine trailer only has a 5 flat harness on it now. The coupler does have a reverse lockout, but ive never used it. When i do this install, i will do a grade 8 bolt through the moving parts, or just weld it.

I’ll get a better pic of the coupler soon.

Thx
2005 272 w/ 8.1 VP GXi
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

I just ran a large 5/8" Grade 8 bolt through mine. I took out all the "guts" first.
491b9b50a8d9520b4afdca12f261e4f7.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2017 R5 350HP Mercruiser Bravo III
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
DFWdude
Commander
Commander

Post by DFWdude »

Nice!

Thanks
2005 272 w/ 8.1 VP GXi