2015 A28 limp mode

(A25, A28, A36, A40)
Amilecz
Ensign
Ensign

2015 A28 limp mode

Post by Amilecz »

Hello guys,

I’m hoping someone smarter than me can help me out. Recently the boat developed a big problem and unfortunately, I can not find anyone in a 2 hour drive that could fix the boat before the summer.

After about 5-15 minutes of ride (engine runs perfect, all data on screen looks great) the boat just goes into limp mode without any warning. I did end up buying a Rinda Techmate Pro to diagnose the problem myself. I have the codes and I called Cobalt, however they aren’t telling me what the error codes mean. This is what I have:
3 Active faults:
First: SPN:698 Count:126 Failure mode 5 - current below normal or open circuit
Second: SPN:699 Count:126 Failure mode 5
Third: SPN:926 Count:126 Failure mode 5

All three has a description of aux output issues or aux power driver issues.

Anyone knows what sensors could cause this? Thanks
Titaniumboy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: 2015 A28 limp mode

Post by Titaniumboy »

These are Volvo Penta fault codes.

SPN-698 FMi 5 (Oil pressure gauge driver voltage low)

SPN 699-FMi-5 (Trim gauge driver voltage low)

I’m not sure what SPN 926 code is for.

Do you have analog or digital gauges? If you have analog gauges then the SPN 698 and 699 alarm codes might be normal and have nothing to do with your problem.
2007 Cobalt 240 with Merc 496 MAG Bravo 3
1977 18’ Beachcraft with Ford 302 V8 OMC 190
Whiskey Slough Marina
Holt, CA
Amilecz
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Amilecz »

Really appreciate your response. We have a partially digital/analog gauges, same as this picture
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

So glad you found us amilecz.

Not sure about your codes and limp mode without being there.

Cobalt won’t help with that. A Volvo tech is the key. Any Volvo technicians near you or are they two hours away too? A phone call to them may be the best way to proceed.

And welcome aboard mate.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

Ae your gauges working properly...measuring oil pressure..?

Look at the back of your gauges and make sure no plugs have come out/loose.
2017 R5 350HP Mercruiser Bravo III
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

If voltages on multiple gauges are low, I'd be looking at wiring as well, and at the battery age/condition and alternator/rectifier. You should see the voltage spike up well above 12v (13.7v is fairly typical if I recall) when the boat is running.

John
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Krob1114 »

I was getting a low voltage message on our radar detector when used in my 2013 Mercedes. No message in my wife's vehicle. I put a new battery in and now there's no codes.
2019 Cobalt R3 @ Greers Ferry Lake, AR
Home in Hernando, MS
stifflkd
Captain
Captain

Post by stifflkd »

Titaniumboy wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:05 pm These are Volvo Penta fault codes.

SPN-698 FMi 5 (Oil pressure gauge driver voltage low)

SPN 699-FMi-5 (Trim gauge driver voltage low)

I’m not sure what SPN 926 code is for.

Do you have analog or digital gauges? If you have analog gauges then the SPN 698 and 699 alarm codes might be normal and have nothing to do with your problem.
Titaniumboy, do you have a list of VP codes. Looking to purchase a Rinda TechMate but if it only provides the code without some more detail it may not be worth it.
2021 R5 Shale/Ebony
VP 5.3L 350
"$TSLA"
Titaniumboy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Titaniumboy »

Sorry, I do not. I don’t even have a Volvo Penta. I had gleaned that information off of the web with my google-fu. There is an amazing lack of information regarding VP codes on the internet.
2007 Cobalt 240 with Merc 496 MAG Bravo 3
1977 18’ Beachcraft with Ford 302 V8 OMC 190
Whiskey Slough Marina
Holt, CA
nickmaute
Ensign
Ensign

Post by nickmaute »

I’d like to chime in as we’re having a similar issue.

2015 Cobalt 220S / Volvo Penta V8 270hp / 120 hours

End of last season, we started getting an intermittent alarm, “check engine” flashing across the small digital portion of our speedometer (only at about 30mph or more). No engine performance issues, no limp mode, starts and restarts just fine. We have all analog meters, speedometer has small LCD screen where you can toggle through a few readings. Determined the batteries were going (had never been replaced in almost 8 years). Replaced both. No change in performance, still drives great, starts fine, etc.

After battery replacement, Alarms still fire when north of 3300rpms, 29+mph.

Hooked to computer and codes firing are SPN 697/698/699, FMI 5 on all. All related to low voltage on trim, temp, oil. gauges. All readings in normal range. Battery voltage about 14.2 on the lcd screen.

Took it to boat dealer. They seemed to think it’s the ECM. Spoke to several other Volvo dealers around the country and all say they’ve not seen ECMs go bad like this. Also hear if ECM is bad, it won’t start and problems are worse than this. Dealer attempted to manually clear the codes with computer but they came back.

Having another mechanic check the ground connections, alternator belt tension (a Volvo mechanic in WI recommended this), change spark plugs.

Will advise if these fix anything. Hopeful additional context to a similar problem helps everyone with a solution.
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

nickmaute wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:13 pm I’d like to chime in as we’re having a similar issue.

End of last season, we started getting an intermittent alarm, “check engine” flashing across the small digital portion of our speedometer (only at about 30mph or more). No engine performance issues, no limp mode, starts and restarts just fine. We have all analog meters, speedometer has small LCD screen where you can toggle through a few readings. Determined the batteries were going (had never been replaced in almost 8 years). Replaced both. No change in performance, still drives great, starts fine, etc.

Hooked to computer and codes firing are SPN 697/698/699, FMI 5 on all. All related to low voltage on trim, temp, oil. gauges. All readings in normal range. Battery voltage about 14.2 on the lcd screen.

Took it to boat dealer. They seemed to think it’s the ECM. Spoke to several other Volvo dealers around the country and all say they’ve not seen ECMs go bad like this. Also hear if ECM is bad, it won’t start and problems are worse than this. Dealer attempted to manually clear the codes with computer but they came back.

Having another mechanic check the ground connections, alternator belt tension (a Volvo mechanic in WI recommended this), change spark plugs.

Will advise if these fix anything. Hopeful additional context to a similar problem helps everyone with a solution.
So glad you found us nm.

Thanks for posting and keep us advised. Hopefully your tech can narrow it down.

And welcome aboard mate.

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
CobaltDeadHead
Captain
Captain

Post by CobaltDeadHead »

It's situations like this that caused Massachusetts to pass the right to repair law recently. The law is designed to prevent dealers and manufacturers from holding repair codes hostage and forcing people to use their service departments vs any mechanic you want or yourself. IMO this should be the law nationwide.
2005 Cobalt 24SX 350Mag
2010 Key West 186 DC - retired
Lake Winnipesaukee
creggree
Ensign
Ensign

Post by creggree »

nickmaute wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:13 pm I’d like to chime in as we’re having a similar issue.

Hello - I have a 2013 Cobalt 262 / Volvo Penta V* 380hp / 320 hours
I just started getting the same codes. My boat was running great, the local marina reset the codes and they came back. Did you have any luck resolving the issue?

Thanks
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

CobaltDeadHead wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:20 am It's situations like this that caused Massachusetts to pass the right to repair law recently. The law is designed to prevent dealers and manufacturers from holding repair codes hostage and forcing people to use their service departments vs any mechanic you want or yourself. IMO this should be the law nationwide.
Cobaltchat approves of this message
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)