Upholstery Stain Removal

JimGilly
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Upholstery Stain Removal

Post by JimGilly »

Any suggestions how to remove stain, I believe from my canvas, where it touches the seat and cushion tops? Being covered over winter months, the forward seat tops and stern pad, where the canvas has been in contact, is stained. Normal efforts, such as Mr Clean pads and 3M vinyl stain remover have accomplished little.
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Upholstery Stain Removal

Post by jhnmdahl »

If you can post a photo people might be able to provide better advice. I've had decent luck with 303 products like their Marine Cleaner, but others prefer the star brite vinyl cleaner or similar products like vinyl sauce by bling sauce. Lots of good marine vinyl-specific cleaners out there, but it seems a few names keep being repeated as the most useful.
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
Kate
Captain
Captain

Post by Kate »

I've had great success with "OxiClean Total Care Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner."
billk2632
Captain
Captain

Post by billk2632 »

First - stay away from magic eraser, soft scrub etc. These will ruin your vinyl - you won't see it immediately and they will appear to clean it, but over time you will see the damage. They are basically like using sandpaper on your vinuyl.

I like Star Brite Ultimate Vinyl Cleaner and / or Spray 9. After cleaning, treat with 303 Protectant.
If the above does not work, a white towel soaked in beach - lay the towel over the stain for about 5min, then rinse well with water. Keep the bleach away from stitching. What happens when people use a bleach based cleaner, it cleans the vinyl great, but the bleach deteriorates the stitching and eventually the seams start to fail.
After cleaning above, the best thing that will fade any remaining stain away is sunlight.
1979 Correct Craft Ski-Tique - Previous
1948 Chris Craft Custom Runabout - Oh man to have that one back!