CS23 Boat with CS22 Trailer?

(200, 210, 220, CS series)
crustyfeet
Ensign
Ensign

CS23 Boat with CS22 Trailer?

Post by crustyfeet »

Recently purchased a new 2023 CS23 but the dealer gave me a trailer for a CS22. This is a custom trailer from Heritage. I'm worried about the trailer length difference. The CS23 is about 12+ inches longer than the bunks of the trailer. To me, a good portion of the boat weight is unsupported this way.
Also, the transom straps will rub against the bottom/rear of the hull. Should I be concerned? Dealer says it's no issue.. they will just change the stickers on the trailer to say CS23.
IMG_2017.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dustinm
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: CS23 Boat with CS22 Trailer?

Post by dustinm »

Not acceptable.... this is how it should look.

Well I had a side shot with straps on showing them not touching the hull and the transom should be on the trailer frame
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CS23
crustyfeet
Ensign
Ensign

Post by crustyfeet »

Thanks for the reply and pics. That's exactly what I'm thinking... not acceptable.
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

So glad you found us cf.

Post a pic of the entire boat if you have time.

And welcome aboard mate.

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
crustyfeet
Ensign
Ensign

Post by crustyfeet »

Pic of whole boat. Unfortunately, I can't take any different ones right now since I dropped it off for numerous other things to get fixed.
IMG_2015.jpg
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

Transom strap connected to the swim platform doesn't feel right to me either - it should be mostly vertical (i.e., perpendicular to the bolt holding it on to the trailer) and connected to something pretty secure like the U-bolt on a metal backing plate near the top of DustinMN's picture.

I wonder if making the bunks a foot longer would be sufficient, or if the boat would still be too far back on the trailer given all the engine weight right at the back of the boat? I'd keep an eye on the tongue weight and make sure it's at least 8-10% of the total trailer weight when loaded.
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
DEcosse
Commander
Commander

Post by DEcosse »

I definitely agree the tongue weight should be your starting point and check to see what that is - It must surely be 'light' you would expect with the heavy end hanging off the back as it is.
2006 Cobalt 232
Volvo Penta 8.1L OSi
Key Pensinsula, Washington
Matts19
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Matts19 »

You should be able to make that trailer work. As others have said, get the bow stop adjusted so the tongue weight is good and then get longer bunks if needed. I would primarily worry about the two center bunks and have them stop at the notch on the transom where the outdrive mounts. The outboard mounted bunks don't really need to be longer. The swim platform bracket is the correct place to connect the tie-downs on the CS23.
2022 CS23 Volvo 280/DP
dustinm
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by dustinm »

With the amount these trailers cost and being brand new off the lot, the trailer should be the correct one. Period.

While I dont have a pic of my strap hooked up, like mentioned it should be near vertical and straight line to be of any function. With the trailer being too short this is not allowing that to happen, plus its going to create rub marks. The rear straps holding crustys boat down are completely useless.

Yes that swim platform hole is the correct location on CS because the swim platform ext is in the way of the conventional eyelet.

With any boat/trailer the transom needs to be supported and with the extended running surface hanging off the trailer would be ok, you are not even ok in that aspect. Look where those center bunks end up in regards to the center. My trailer has the post welded in front so moving it ahead wont be 5 min change... hence dealer make it right

EDIT my trailer is folding tongue and now I see crusty can move his, but I will put money on it that doing that will ruin T weight %
CS23