Winterization Question

Land_Locked
Ensign
Ensign

Winterization Question

Post by Land_Locked »

Fairly new to Cobalt (May) and fairly new to boats unless of course you count my jet skis I've had for a couple years. First let me start off saying no I didn't really search the forum for an answer but my question is also fairly specific. I was reading another thread on winterization and I've seen videos where people will use the EZ Drain feature and then flush the engine with antifreeze to coat the internals and get rid of any residual water. My question is this:

Rather than flush the system with antifreze, what if you just filled it with antifreeze and left it? Has anyone done that? Would there be any harm in it? Just a thought. Still have a couple months here in Texas before I even need to really worry about that since we really don't get freezing temperatures until December into January. Our freeze season is really January-February and maybe the first week in March. But in the 40+ years I've lived here I've only seen single digit temps 2-3 times and teens a handful.

So what say you peanut gallery?
2022 CS22 Volvo 250/DP Family Truckster
Norris_Boating
Captain
Captain

Re: Winterization Question

Post by Norris_Boating »

Starting last year I just took out the batteries and used the EZ Drain system. Temps got Very cold this past winter, I had no problems. I used to run antifreeze through the eigne but decided to give the EZ drain a try and happy I did.
2016 220
2019 R7 Surf
White and Red V8-380CE EVC DP (FWD) - 380 hp
Land_Locked
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Land_Locked »

Oh batteries will be left connected since it has a tender and it's stored in dry storage w/ a power outlet. Was just curious if anyone has tried to store with antifreeze left in the system
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

What engine/drive do you have?
2017 R5 350HP Mercruiser Bravo III
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Krob1114 »

When we leave our boat on a covered lift with the mooring cover on it at the end of the season, all I do is use the EZ drain and turn the batteries off. I don't use antifreeze. I usually put in fresh oil at the end of the season. We've never had a problem.
2019 Cobalt R3 @ Greers Ferry Lake, AR
Home in Hernando, MS
Matts19
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Matts19 »

Assuming you have a Volvo in your CS22, your engine always has antifreeze in it as they have a closed loop cooling system. Lake water gets cycled through a heat exchanger to cool the antifreeze (like air through a car radiator) but does not go through the block. No reason to do anything other than use the ez drain and call it good. Fog if you want……I don’t since we have a short layup in East TN.
2022 CS23 Volvo 280/DP
Land_Locked
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Land_Locked »

bruceb58 wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:50 pm What engine/drive do you have?
Yep I should've speficied that. It's the Penta 250 DP
Land_Locked
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Land_Locked »

Matts19 wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:10 am Assuming you have a Volvo in your CS22, your engine always has antifreeze in it as they have a closed loop cooling system. Lake water gets cycled through a heat exchanger to cool the antifreeze (like air through a car radiator) but does not go through the block. No reason to do anything other than use the ez drain and call it good. Fog if you want……I don’t since we have a short layup in East TN.
Yes it's got a Vovlo Penta, which is why I posted in this forum. But if there's antifreeze in the system, then yeah that makes more sense so thanks for that. I guess come December when it finally starts getting cold, I'll pull the pin, hit the plunger to drain it and call it good.

Thank you all for the info!
Matts19
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Matts19 »

Yes, that is all we do. I would make sure you drain the bilge afterwards and at least put some gas stabilizer in the tank.
2022 CS23 Volvo 280/DP
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

Land_Locked wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:06 am
bruceb58 wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:50 pm What engine/drive do you have?
Yep I should've speficied that. It's the Penta 250 DP
Put that info in your signature. It will be useful for later when you ask questions.
2017 R5 350HP Mercruiser Bravo III
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA