Thinking of converting from Surge to EOH

bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Thinking of converting from Surge to EOH

Post by bruceb58 »

Jdflyer wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:01 pm
That’s a great way to do it.

My question is how long is the run from the plug to trailer junction box? If you ran 6ga to just behind the pin and then 16g wire from that point forward with a 30a inline fuse it would be just shy of 10% voltage drop. I understand 3% is a whole lot better. Trying to keep it simple.

Thoughts
Why would you want to run 30A through a 16 AWG wire when you can just go through another connector? It's simple! We won't even talk about the fact that 16 AWG wire has a max ampacity of around 22A which is why the Ford fuse for that line is 20A.
2017 R5 350HP Mercruiser Bravo III
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
Jdflyer
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jdflyer »

Misunderstanding… I meant that you could wire the 6g into the back of the 7 pin connector on the truck side. The recommended wire for power and ground for the SAE J2863 connector is 12g and I think I saw some cables advertising they were using 10g.

Saying a 16g wire was not thought out at all on my part and was an off the cuff comment. (See honey. I can admit when I am wrong). Really a doh! moment. :lol:
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

Jdflyer wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:45 am Misunderstanding… I meant that you could wire the 6g into the back of the 7 pin connector on the truck side. The recommended wire for power and ground for the SAE J2863 connector is 12g and I think I saw some cables advertising they were using 10g.

Saying a 16g wire was not thought out at all on my part and was an off the cuff comment. (See honey. I can admit when I am wrong). Really a doh! moment. :lol:
That would be good if you could but the connector can't handle that size of wire.
2017 R5 350HP Mercruiser Bravo III
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA