R5 Swim platform/Gator Step

Tandjmei8
Commander
Commander

R5 Swim platform/Gator Step

Post by Tandjmei8 »

For a 2020 R5 swim platform (and anchor locker), they are both a little textured. I’m planning on adding Gator Step to both. Because of the texture, does anything need to be done prior to laying down the Gator Step (sanded, smoothed out)?

Thanks!
2020 Cobalt R5 - current
2012 Cobalt 242 - previous
2016 Malibu 23 LSV - previous
2014 Malibu 24 MXZ - previous
2013 Yamaha 242 - previous
2008 Cypress Cay Pontoon - previous
2006 Bayliner 185 - previous
RWM250
Commander
Commander

Re: R5 Swim platform/Gator Step

Post by RWM250 »

I placed GatorStep on my swim platform and boat floor. I cleaned it thoroughly with soap and water, then cleaned it with window cleaner with ammonia. Windex with ammonia worked well. Nothing else needs to be done before install. No sanding required. I installed it myself. GatorStep is a bit forgiving. The instructions state it can be peeled up once during install without issue. I had to peel up my swim deck piece once to realign. That was 3 yrs ago and I haven't had any problems with it. It has worn very well and in the water much of the time when on the water. I installed the GatorStep on the floor last spring and very happy with the results. I did get an air bubble that was discovered after it was in the heat of the sun. I used a sharp razor blade to pop the bubble and pressed it down. That work great. Follow their install directions and it isn't hard to do yourself. If you have any questions, just reach out. It really improves the look.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2004 Cobalt 250, 8.1 GI VP
Smithville, Mo.
Tandjmei8
Commander
Commander

Post by Tandjmei8 »

Thanks! Yeah, I had it put in m my current boat (242) and love it. Just looking at the swim deck on new boat and it has that texture grip, so I was wondering if that’s something to address. Yours turned out great.
IMG_1716.jpeg
IMG_1703.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2020 Cobalt R5 - current
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Boy that did turn out great T&J8!
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
RWM250
Commander
Commander

Post by RWM250 »

My swim deck had the factory textured finish. I cleaned and prepped as stated above and it has adhered to the deck with no issues. After 3 yrs, there hasn't been any edge peel at all. The flooring in your pics look great! I do like the color.
Smithville, Mo.
BillTompkins
Ensign
Ensign

Post by BillTompkins »

Great information, thanks for the feedback. I think I'm going to move forward with the GatorStep on the swim platform and the transom in early Spring.
2019 220S - Volvo 280HP, DP
'Why Not' (for now)
Beach Haven West, NJ
Tandjmei8
Commander
Commander

Post by Tandjmei8 »

Ok, so now that the new boat is purchased (viewtopic.php?t=7426), here is what I am thinking.
1) Marine Mat for the swim deck and anchor locker (keep Seagrass in boat)
2) Sand the texture down with my sander focusing on the outer edges primarily, but if it’s going ‘smoothly’, then I’ll hit it all
3) Using the color scheme below (Titanium color, Deep Blue etching) and same design layout as my old boat, but updating the name to ‘Our Last Boat’ w/7 slash marks (wife says I can’t use ‘Full Quiver’ for anymore boats)
IMG_0214.png
IMG_0247.jpeg
IMG_1703.jpeg
2020 Cobalt R5 - current
RWM250
Commander
Commander

Post by RWM250 »

That'll look great! Looks like it'll match the seagrass well. I don't think you'll regret having it on your swim deck. It helps one to be sure footed when it's wet. Good luck and send finished pics. I like the new name as well.
Smithville, Mo.
Tandjmei8
Commander
Commander

Post by Tandjmei8 »

RWM250 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:33 pm That'll look great! Looks like it'll match the seagrass well. I don't think you'll regret having it on your swim deck. It helps one to be sure footed when it's wet. Good luck and send finished pics. I like the new name as well.
Thanks!
2020 Cobalt R5 - current
IA_SD220S
Ensign
Ensign

Post by IA_SD220S »

Does anyone know how well Gator Step holds up vs. the stock mat on the swim deck? My dog scratched it up. Swim socks fell off her, and I may have her nails trimmed this summer. She loves swimming so it’s kind of a bummer not to include her.
RobL
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by RobL »

RWM250 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:03 pm I placed GatorStep on my swim platform and boat floor. I cleaned it thoroughly with soap and water, then cleaned it with window cleaner with ammonia. Windex with ammonia worked well. Nothing else needs to be done before install. No sanding required. I installed it myself. GatorStep is a bit forgiving. The instructions state it can be peeled up once during install without issue. I had to peel up my swim deck piece once to realign. That was 3 yrs ago and I haven't had any problems with it. It has worn very well and in the water much of the time when on the water. I installed the GatorStep on the floor last spring and very happy with the results. I did get an air bubble that was discovered after it was in the heat of the sun. I used a sharp razor blade to pop the bubble and pressed it down. That work great. Follow their install directions and it isn't hard to do yourself. If you have any questions, just reach out. It really improves the look.
That really turned out well. What colors did you end up going with? I'm looking at similar, looks like you have "silver cloud", with "navy" bottom color. I wasn't going to do the laser etching, but it looks great on your boat.
2014 Cobalt R5 with VP 380hp
2014 Chaparral H2019 previous
1991 Wellcraft 186 Eclipse previous
Home: Tyme N Tyde Marina, Woodbridge, Virginia (Potomac River)
Home away from home: Beech Hill Pond, Maine
RWM250
Commander
Commander

Post by RWM250 »

RobL wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:52 am
RWM250 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:03 pm I placed GatorStep on my swim platform and boat floor. I cleaned it thoroughly with soap and water, then cleaned it with window cleaner with ammonia. Windex with ammonia worked well. Nothing else needs to be done before install. No sanding required. I installed it myself. GatorStep is a bit forgiving. The instructions state it can be peeled up once during install without issue. I had to peel up my swim deck piece once to realign. That was 3 yrs ago and I haven't had any problems with it. It has worn very well and in the water much of the time when on the water. I installed the GatorStep on the floor last spring and very happy with the results. I did get an air bubble that was discovered after it was in the heat of the sun. I used a sharp razor blade to pop the bubble and pressed it down. That work great. Follow their install directions and it isn't hard to do yourself. If you have any questions, just reach out. It really improves the look.
That really turned out well. What colors did you end up going with? I'm looking at similar, looks like you have "silver cloud", with "navy" bottom color. I wasn't going to do the laser etching, but it looks great on your boat.
Thank you, RobL. My colors are driftwood over black. The laser etching was an extra $50 when I had it done. We are glad we installed it. It is wearing well and I haven't had problems keeping it clean.
Smithville, Mo.
RobL
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by RobL »

Tandjmei8 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:42 am Ok, so now that the new boat is purchased (viewtopic.php?t=7426), here is what I am thinking.
2) Sand the texture down with my sander focusing on the outer edges primarily, but if it’s going ‘smoothly’, then I’ll hit it all
3) Using the color scheme below (Titanium color, Deep Blue etching) and same design layout as my old boat, but updating the name to ‘Our Last Boat’ w/7 slash marks (wife says I can’t use ‘Full Quiver’ for anymore boats)

IMG_0214.pngIMG_0247.jpegIMG_1703.jpeg
Pics? Looking to replace the swim platform on our R5 as well. Interested to see your thoughts on Marine Mat vs. Gator Step/Sea Dek. Did you have to pre-measure or did they already have the templates?
2014 Cobalt R5 with VP 380hp
2014 Chaparral H2019 previous
1991 Wellcraft 186 Eclipse previous
Home: Tyme N Tyde Marina, Woodbridge, Virginia (Potomac River)
Home away from home: Beech Hill Pond, Maine
Tandjmei8
Commander
Commander

Post by Tandjmei8 »

RobL wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:22 am
Tandjmei8 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:42 am Ok, so now that the new boat is purchased (viewtopic.php?t=7426), here is what I am thinking.

IMG_0214.pngIMG_0247.jpegIMG_1703.jpeg
Pics? Looking to replace the swim platform on our R5 as well. Interested to see your thoughts on Marine Mat vs. Gator Step/Sea Dek. Did you have to pre-measure or did they already have the templates?
I ended up going thru a local dealer for the Gator Step, because I wasn’t happy with the templates from another company (fit was inconsistent) and I didn’t want to create a template myself. So, I just approved the fit and the logo and paid for it, so I’m hoping the Gator Step will arrive at the dealer this week or next, then schedule install a week after it arrives. Super excited (loved it on my old boat - the 242 up above in this thread).

I went with Silver Cloud top and Navy bottom and it matches my boat well (at least the swatches did). Swim platform, anchor locker, and the walkthrough (so I don’t have to unsnap the seagrass that is in the cockpit of the boat.
IMG_0464.jpeg
2020 Cobalt R5 - current
painkiller
Ensign
Ensign

Post by painkiller »

Generally, it's a good idea to make sure the surface is clean and free of any debris or loose material before applying it. Depending on the texture, a light sanding might help ensure a smoother finish.