No Oil Pressure(?)

(190 through 360)
groberts4
Commander
Commander

Re: No Oil Pressure(?)

Post by groberts4 »

Update: My Cobalt's been in the shop since February 15th, so over a month. They've eliminated simple fixes like the sender, the oil pump, or other things. Their current analysis says it's a bearing that's preventing the pump from pumping. So the engine has to go out to a marine engine rebuilder to be taken apart and see how much damage this shot bearing has caused, and repair, rebuild, or replace all parts affected. No estimate on cost or timing, just "this will take some time and it's a major job". This engine was rebuilt by Jasper Marine just three years ago, probably hasn't got more than 20-30 hours on it.
2006 262 w/ Volvo Penta 8.1L @ 375hp
Lake Conroe, Texas
billk2632
Captain
Captain

Post by billk2632 »

Hate to hear, was hoping it would be an easier fix. Will Jasper help?
1979 Correct Craft Ski-Tique - Previous
1948 Chris Craft Custom Runabout - Oh man to have that one back!
groberts4
Commander
Commander

Post by groberts4 »

Update: after one month in the shop I finally heard from the service manager that they had exhausted all options, and realized they needed a special tool to test the pump system (suspect somewhere in the drive system for the pump). They then came back and said probably a bearing, will need to send out to machine shop, hope engine is not ruined. The next day (today) I got a call saying they'd called all around, no one could even look at it for at least a month, so you have to replace the entire engine. $13,000 estimate P&L. I approved it because I've been 33 days without a boat during the most beautiful weather of the year and I have gone insane. Also, I have no choice.
PS: The engine that failed was a recently rebuilt engine from Jasper Marine ($14,000 P&L). It was installed in March 2021 following our hard freeze, so it was right at three years old and had maybe 25 hours on it. Jasper's warranty is two years. So now I'll have another rebuilt Jasper engine. However, this time I will drive it til I run out of gas money. If this new engine's as weak as the last one, at least it's going to fail during the warranty period.
2006 262 w/ Volvo Penta 8.1L @ 375hp
Lake Conroe, Texas
billk2632
Captain
Captain

Post by billk2632 »

I would run the pi$$ out of it as it sounds like the failure in the other engine was likely a rebuild issue, just didn't show up in the warranty. Maybe you already have, but I would talk to Jasper about some consideration -- you are buying your second engine from them in what 3yrs? Maybe at least give you something for the old one - which they would likely fix and sell again.
I think you said insurance covered the first one - freeze damage - any help there with this one?
Honestly it would hurt me to dump that kind of $$ in an engine -- but if I had your boat with an 8.1 I probably would do it. they are not making those things anymore! Sure a new Cobalt you can get a 430hp 6.2, but it's not a big block like yours.

Hopefully a few nice days on the water will leave the sting of this your wake!
1979 Correct Craft Ski-Tique - Previous
1948 Chris Craft Custom Runabout - Oh man to have that one back!