Trim Tabs

(200, 210, 220, CS series)
MnSeabalt
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Trim Tabs

Post by MnSeabalt »

Hi guys. First time out on the new 23' CS22 last week! Took her on Lake Washington. I was humbled quickly with the chop out there. A big part of it is i'm a rookie boater and I have no idea what my or the boats limits are or how to drive efficiently in chop. With that said I am looking for all the mechanical help I can get, which my research led me to: Trim Tabs.

I've done a fair bit of research but haven't gotten a conclusion. Looks like there are a couple options...

- Bennet or Lenco Factory trim tabs, wired up to the helm for controls.

- Nauticus automatic / "smart" trim tabs. Non operable. Just kind of set in a fixed position on the transom.

To be clear, I am looking to be able to handle rough water better, smooth out the ride when crossing wakes, and of secondary desire is to be able to trim Port and Starboard when needed.

If the NAUTICUS Smart/auto tabs provided 90% of the function of the Lenco's, that would be a considerable option at I assume a fraction the price.

I definitely want Electric if I go Bennet or Lenco. Don't want to mess with Hydraulics.
Are these Installs DIY friendly? If no, any expectation on shop labor time for install? I imagine I need cables, harnesses, gauges, controls, and the tabs themselves.

Thanks in advance friends.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kate
Captain
Captain

Re: Trim Tabs

Post by Kate »

". . . drive efficiently in chop."

The technique I was taught (for chop, not waves):

Trim outdrive up and increase speed to the point just before spray comes over the bow. If you try to go down and slow, you get buffeted by the chop.

There are different techniques for dealing with waves and wakes, depending on whether you're going into them or with them.
MnSeabalt
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by MnSeabalt »

Thanks for that tip. Do you use trim tabs though?
Stagdad
Commander
Commander

Post by Stagdad »

I had a 19' Stingray that was almost undrivable in anything but flat water and oscillated(porpoising) at anything other than full trim down. I installed the Nauticus trim tabs and was astounded at the difference they made. Handled rough water much better and the porpoising was eliminated. I have recommended them on the Stingray forum as have others. Will they work the same magic on a Cobalt? They are a fraction of the price of the other brands but you don't get the ability to correct for uneven side to side loading. I was very happy with them on that hull.
Stagdad(Brian & Linda)
220s V8 300VP
Home Port Northern KY
Away Port Lake Cumberland / Dale Hollow
Kate
Captain
Captain

Post by Kate »

"Do you use trim tabs though?"

Not in chop. Too many other things to monitor. I understand, though, that they can be helpful.
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

I'm not sure that the Nauticus tabs, which seem to "retract" on their own once moving, will work as well as adjustable trim tabs when underway in choppy water. The whole "shock absorber" concept seems interesting though, and I've heard they can be significant step up over no trim tabs if you don't need to correct a tilt to one side, don't need to put the nose down to take on waves at low speed, or do a few other things that non-adjustable tabs simply can't do. May be worth a try if that's what's in the budget (installation time and/or cost).

Note Bennett makes self-adjusting trim tabs too, with the same advantages and limitations - check out https://bennetttrimtabs.com/product/self-leveling-tabs/ for example.
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
MnSeabalt
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by MnSeabalt »

jhnmdahl wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 8:08 am I'm not sure that the Nauticus tabs, which seem to "retract" on their own once moving, will work as well as adjustable trim tabs when underway in choppy water. The whole "shock absorber" concept seems interesting though, and I've heard they can be significant step up over no trim tabs if you don't need to correct a tilt to one side, don't need to put the nose up to take on waves at low speed, or do a few other things that non-adjustable tabs simply can't do. May be worth a try if that's what's in the budget (installation time and/or cost).

Note Bennett makes self-adjusting trim tabs too, with the same advantages and limitations - check out https://bennetttrimtabs.com/product/self-leveling-tabs/ for example.

Good to know, thanks! Im a little worried about drilling into the transom to mount the Nauticus smart tabs. Like what If they dont work out and I either decide to do the helm controlled tabs or no tabs at all?
MnSeabalt
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by MnSeabalt »

ok I just watched this video and am pretty much sold... https://nauticusinc.com/smart-tabs-work/

Can anyone tell me if by some chance they don't work out, what on earth am I to do with the drill pattern/holes in the transom?

Also, since Im slipped at the Rack n Stack, wondering if they will be an issue for the forklift as I get lifted in and out of the water...

Thanks!
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

Keep in mind that Nauticus tabs won't correct a tilt to one side, won't put the nose down to take on waves at low speed, and generally give you no control over what's deployed when. I'd call Bennett, who makes both self-leveling tabs and relatively easy kits for their opinion on the difference between their products. Check out https://www.five-oceans.com/products/bo ... 21-fo-4321 as an example all-in-one kit that's easy to install.

As for screw holes, they're not all that difficult to fill with something like Marine-Tex, but getting a color match on the gelcoat if you want it to look is a bit harder. There are a few places around that stock matches to Cobalt standard colors, which can get you pretty close.
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)