Electric trailer brakes

hoghead54
Captain
Captain

Electric trailer brakes

Post by hoghead54 »

Has anyone or do you know anyone that has put electric trailer brakes on their boat trailer? I really want to get rid of the surge brakes I don't feel like i'm in control with them. I've seen where a lot of guys are using them with good results but wanted to see if anyone here has done it. I'd really rather not spend the big bucks for the electric/hyd. setups.
thunder550
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Electric trailer brakes

Post by thunder550 »

For the most part, boat trailers don't use electric brakes. Did a quick search and here's an article from West Marine:

https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/ ... ler-Brakes
However, few boat trailers are equipped with electric brakes, but they’re used on many RV and utility trailers. RV-grade systems, with painted automotive-grade components, are not intended for submersion, especially in salt water. Submerging a pair of electromagnet actuators and their wiring is generally regarded with the suspicion that occurs whenever you mix water with electricity. One of our suppliers (Cequent Performance Products) does make marine-grade electric brakes. Tie Down Engineering does not recommend their electric brakes for marine applications.
Here's another one from etrailer, sounds like electric may be a possibility:
https://www.etrailer.com/question-4626.html
Traditionally, trailer manufacturers did not use electric brakes on boat trailers because the brake magnet wiring and trailer wiring did not always have the best insulation or water protection.

These days, more and more manufacturers are using electric brakes on boat trailers due to improvements in wiring insulation and heat shrink connectors. If you are going to use electric brakes, I strongly recommend using heat shrink butt connectors, like part # DW05745-10, when splicing the wires together.

I have attached links to all of our electric brake assemblies. The easiest way to choose the correct brake assemblies for your trailer is to find the weight capacity of your axle. If you can tell me the weight capacity of your axle, I would be happy to find a set of brakes that will work for you. I have also attached a shoppers guide on how to add electric brakes to a trailer.
I do believe that if you want pure electric, you will be stuck with drum brakes. I have never seen a set of electric disc brakes, but I guess that doesn't mean they don't exist. Personally I'd either stick with surge brakes or convert to electric over hydraulic. I have surge disc brakes now but converting to EoH is on my "someday" upgrade list.
1995 Cobalt 252 - 502 Mag EFI - Bravo 1 - 21" Revolution 4
NautiGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by NautiGirl »

Still on the fence but think we may go that way next time we have to do a break overhaul. Electric over Hydro are the way to go, but be careful not all truck brake controllers play nice /w EoH. Here is a thread
where we discussed it.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=710&sid=70db977a7c ... 6b0abdd363

/Mr.NautiOut
Last edited by NautiGirl on Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
CANDIED RED 2007 222 320hp 6.2L
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

HH54,

Just to make sure we are all on the same page, you are asking about eliminating the hydraulic components completely on a boat trailer and using only electric components to activate the drums or discs, correct? (ie electric activation coupled with electric actuation)

vs

Using an electric controller to control the hydraulic brake components (ie electric activation with hydraulic actuation).
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
hoghead54
Captain
Captain

Post by hoghead54 »

AsLan7 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:53 am .
HH54,

Just to make sure we are all on the same page, you are asking about eliminating the hydraulic components completely on a boat trailer and using only electric components to activate the drums or discs, correct? (ie electric activation coupled with electric actuation)

vs

Using an electric controller to control the hydraulic brake components (ie electric activation with hydraulic actuation).
Yes, Like a car trailer.
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

The questions I have are how heavy is your boat? What are you using to tow, and fresh or salt?
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
hoghead54
Captain
Captain

Post by hoghead54 »

Tuscany wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:28 pm The questions I have are how heavy is your boat? What are you using to tow, and fresh or salt?
Cobalt's owner manual says 2850 lbs. plus the trailer/fuel so what about 4500 +/-
Dodge 3500 Cummins SRW
No salt
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Post by cmattj »

My new to me 2017 EZ Loader is "all electric" 6 wheel fully submersible drum brakes. Yep leave them plugged in when under. I must say as I've said before I was skeptical about the sealing ability of weather pack etc but so far no problems. As the company told me.. No Worries.... :lol:

It is the best-stopping trailer I've had and with a "curve gain controller from tekonsha P3" it slows with all pedal efforts.

I would do it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

hoghead54 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:47 am
Tuscany wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:28 pm The questions I have are how heavy is your boat? What are you using to tow, and fresh or salt?
Cobalt's owner manual says 2850 lbs. plus the trailer/fuel so what about 4500 +/-
Dodge 3500 Cummins SRW
No salt
Light boat. Light trailer. Very capable tow vehicle with plenty of braking power...
If you were towing something in the range of 8k, I would say spend the money. Your truck could probably handle that load with zero trailer brakes.

For reference, the trailer I had built for my boat comes standard with electric drum brakes. Loadmaster claims that they have had great success and longevity as long as the use is fresh water. Most of the trailers they build are built with electric drums.
I’m not a drum brake guy because I’m not into the maintenance of adjusting the drums. Just being honest.🙃

Stainless disc/surge upgrade for salt water ran about $400.

Electric over hydraulic Kodiak disc brakes run an extra $1,200. Flawless, perfect braking.
IMO, electric/hydraulic is the only way to go, but are expensive.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
hoghead54
Captain
Captain

Post by hoghead54 »

Drum brakes can be flaming pain in the....But 1200$ is almost what I paid for the boat but you never know. On the way home from picking up the boat the brake shot brake fluid on the side of the boat, I knew they weren't working because the guy I bought it from said they weren't so I'll need to do something different if I want brakes.

That trailer of yours is almost too nice to use. Do you use rock tamers on your tow rig?
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Thanks.
Our tow is relatively short, 20 miles to Chautauqua, and 45 miles to Buffalo. All good roads
If you do convert, the system runs 1,500 PSI of pressure. Make sure your lines are good.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
thunder550
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by thunder550 »

HH, depending on what's wrong it would likely be cheaper and easier to repair the brakes on yours than to replace. Speaking from experience, you can buy an entire disc brake kit including the calipers, hubs/rotors, brake lines, and actuator for around $500-550 from etrailer. Individual components are even cheaper.
1995 Cobalt 252 - 502 Mag EFI - Bravo 1 - 21" Revolution 4
NautiGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by NautiGirl »

Dodge 3500 Cummins SRW
No salt
So i know I'm the only female on this site ( I take pride in that) and I know my limits when it comes to all things mechanical but after our summer last year I've learned a lot about brakes and towing capacity.

Rest easy HH...that 3500 can stop your boat with zero brakes...how do I know?!?!? I've done it! Pulled our 222 down the hill with NO brakes behind a 2500 and had no issues...now I was slow and didnt' push it...I didn't feel unsafe....also wouldn't try it on the interstate...we have 2 miles between boat storage and the marina.

Pictured is our old 190 being towed behind my brother's Ford Edge one weekend. Hell, even brought the 222 home behind my Colorado and that pushed the limits of the 7000 lbs towing capacity....the Colorado did it but it didn't like it.

The 3500 doesn't even know there's a boat behind you...its laughing and saying "you could have bought a bigger boat" .
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
CANDIED RED 2007 222 320hp 6.2L
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
hoghead54
Captain
Captain

Post by hoghead54 »

NautiGirl wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:56 pm
Dodge 3500 Cummins SRW
No salt
So i know I'm the only female on this site ( I take pride in that) and I know my limits when it comes to all things mechanical but after our summer last year I've learned a lot about brakes and towing capacity.

Rest easy HH...that 3500 can stop your boat with zero brakes...how do I know?!?!? I've done it! Pulled our 222 down the hill with NO brakes behind a 2500 and had no issues...now I was slow and didnt' push it...I didn't feel unsafe....also wouldn't try it on the interstate...we have 2 miles between boat storage and the marina.

Pictured is our old 190 being towed behind my brother's Ford Edge one weekend. Hell, even brought the 222 home behind my Colorado and that pushed the limits of the 7000 lbs towing capacity....the Colorado did it but it didn't like it.

The 3500 doesn't even know there's a boat behind you...its laughing and saying "you could have bought a bigger boat" .
:)
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

hoghead54 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:35 pm Drum brakes can be flaming pain in the....But 1200$ is almost what I paid for the boat but you never know. On the way home from picking up the boat the brake shot brake fluid on the side of the boat, I knew they weren't working because the guy I bought it from said they weren't so I'll need to do something different if I want brakes.

That trailer of yours is almost too nice to use. Do you use rock tamers on your tow rig?
Aside from my prior comments....
Definitely fix them. At least repair the problem on the current set up. Things can go wrong in a hurry on wet pavement, and if they do, you don't want to have to answer in court.
Personally, I tow with HD trucks because their brakes are huge. We never use my wife's Yukon because it may be rated to tow our boat, it doesn't handle as effortlessly as my truck.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine