Travel/Mooring cover

MAP53
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Travel/Mooring cover

Post by MAP53 »

My 212 has the bow and cockpit covers. They are tired and thin and really need to be replaced, the yellow shows dirt easily and I'm thinking about going with black. However I have had boats in the past (Bryants) that had what they called a travel cover which is just one large cover that fits over the entire boat and cinches below the rail with ratchets to tighten it up. I believe Cobalt might call it a mooring cover. I trailered with this type of cover as well as used it in the garage. I'm not crazy about all those snaps that the bow and cockpit covers use and I don't want a cover that uses straps that go around the boat or attach to the trailer.

Where can I buy either a one piece travel/mooring cover or replacement bow and cockpit covers like I have now?

Once again, thanks in advance
Mark Potter
NautiGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Travel/Mooring cover

Post by NautiGirl »

We bought a Westland cover from iBoats.com last fall. Caught a 25% off sale so the price was right. It is a custom cover that is made for our boat. From what I understand Westland is the OEM supplier for Cobalt. Fits well no complaints.

I think BBP had a connection that could also get really good pricing on covers.
Last edited by NautiGirl on Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
CANDIED RED 2007 222 320hp 6.2L
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Look up baldmikes.com tell him I sent you. He sells westland covers. They make them for cobalt.
Bigblockus bought his 232 from him.
http://baldmikes.com/boats
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
ColinC
Captain
Captain

Post by ColinC »

I bought a Westland cover in Sunbrella last year for my 212. Fits great, but a few caveats...

- you will want 2 or 3 vent poles; I would suggest going with the heavy duty spin on vents
- the cover has two ratchets for cinching it down, one on each side at mid-ship; most of the ratchet hooks are bare metal and hard plastic. To protect my boat I plasti-dipped the hooks and bought the conch pockets. However, if you know anyone that is handy with a sewing machine, I’d recommend making your own with more padding
- the mooring cover needs to be tightened down when trailering a distance at highway speeds. The small rope when tight can rub at highway speeds and leave from be marks (that buff out) on the gelcoat. I may get an extra padded strip sewn into my cover to solve for this. Cobalt actually left Westland a few years back and now has covers made by a manufacturer that uses a wide belt and a ‘vortex’ or ‘vacuum’ technology to keep the cover tight on the highway.
- the cover is a bit of a process to put on. Having a helper makes a big difference.
- You can buy a version of the cover that goes over the swim platform. BBP gave me great advice to NOT buy that version. If the boat is in the water hooking that part up isn’t easy!

Overall the cover is well made and in Sunbrella it kept my boat nice and dry during a very wet summer last year.
2007 Cobalt 212 with 5.7L Volvo gi
Toronto, Canada
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

My boat only came with a mooring cover. What a pain in the arss to install if the boat is in the water. I hated it. I love my bow and cockpit covers. I had them added this last summer. If I kept my boat outside or on a lift yes then a mooring cover is the way to go. I trailered without a cover plenty of times. One summer it just wanted to rain everytime I went to the lake or came home. God had something on me for some reason.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
MAP53
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by MAP53 »

Big Block Power wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:20 pm My boat only came with a mooring cover. What a pain in the arss to install if the boat is in the water. I hated it. I love my bow and cockpit covers. I had them added this last summer. If I kept my boat outside or on a lift yes then a mooring cover is the way to go. I trailered without a cover plenty of times. One summer it just wanted to rain everytime I went to the lake or came home. God had something on me for some reason.
Where can you buy replacement bow and cockpit covers?
Since I already have them and the snaps installed should the new ones be made using the originals as a pattern to get the snap placement correct?
NautiGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by NautiGirl »

Yes a canvas place can make new using your existing ones. I know a place at Dale Hollow but not sure of anyone in the Louisville area.
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
KENTUCKY
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

NautiGirl wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:15 pm Yes a canvas place can make new using your existing ones. I know a place at Dale Hollow but not sure of anyone in the Louisville area.
Yep they can do that all day long. Just ask your local vocal
Cobalt dealer and see who they use.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
NautiGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by NautiGirl »

Big Block Power wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:24 pm
NautiGirl wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:15 pm Yes a canvas place can make new using your existing ones. I know a place at Dale Hollow but not sure of anyone in the Louisville area.
We don't have a local dealer anymore!

Map53... Bluegrass Canvas and Upholstery got good Google reviews!
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
KENTUCKY
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

NautiGirl wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:32 pm

How do the old ones fit? You can send them up here I'll bring them to the best here in Wisconsin. There has to be a bunch by you with the big lakes by you.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
ajcampen
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ajcampen »

I would always try and find who the oem was made by if the original covers were from cobalt. My sea ray (and many other boat companies) used Great Lakes boat top. Since they created the pattern it will be the cheapest place to get replacements. They also have a couple sales a year with the best 20-25% off in Jan
2016 R7 VP 380
2014 220S Merc 5.0L (sold)
Columbus, OH
Chautauqua, NY
vans
Captain
Captain

Post by vans »

I have a local guy who's made me covers for 30 years, all made of Aqualon, works for me,
The best trailering covers he's made for me had snaps with draw string, my 220 has ratchet strap with loops to tie off on trailer frame-I don't like this setup and have discussed altering cover and putting snaps in. Just hate drilling those holes
It could be just the hull design but cover has came loose going down highway, plus I'm concerned the tie off straps will rub on gelcoat, previous covers with snaps were never an issue.
MAP53
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by MAP53 »

Big Block Power wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:46 pm
NautiGirl wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:32 pm

How do the old ones fit? You can send them up here I'll bring them to the best here in Wisconsin. There has to be a bunch by you with the big lakes by you.
I'm sure I can get it done locally, just havn't done any research yet, another winter project. I'ii get on that soon.
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I have a buddy with a 26ft formula and he has the full cover but the snaps are on there under side of the rub rail. I think it's brilliant. Can't see them. Not sure how much room you have there for that.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Driller
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Driller »

My mooring cover has ratchet straps built into the cover. One on both Port and Starboard on the bow. They really pull the mooring cover tight and when tight, there is no way the cover is coming off.

In later years Cobalt moved them from the bow to the stern. It makes them a little easier to get to, and they will pull directly at the straps when they turn the corner at the transom which is the area where the straps don't want to pull evenly.

You can see the pockets on each side just at the apex of the bow, and in the other photos just to the left of the post with the mooring line attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2011 242 Volvo Penta 8.1 Gi
"DIGGIN' IT"