Cobalt introduces new CS3 for 2016

(200, 210, 220, CS series)
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Cobalt introduces new CS3 for 2016

Post by jhnmdahl »

An almost-24' bowrider with reversible-bench seating for the co-captain and walkarounds on either side of an engine compartment that provides additional seating, it's another bowrider in Cobalt's entry line. The published length includes a swim platform, which incorporates trim that extends well up either side of the hull. Other features of note are a forward arch with a notch in the base, prominent cobalt logos inset in the cushion backrests on either side of the interior, and a new dash design in etched stainless that just doesn't quite do it for me but that includes a nice space to mount a chartplotter/depth finder that is difficult to fit in the rest of the 10 series.

On a curious note, it's actually lighter than a Cobalt 210 (which is about a foot shorter) and provides only 45lbs greater certified capacity, while its specs are very similar to the existing Cobalt 220. Cobalt says the CS3 is architected to appeal to younger boaters, but the $68k base price and existence of WSS options for less expensive boats make me wonder for whom the boat is actually the best choice in Cobalt's lineup. I fall into the target demographic, and when considering whether I would trade my 210 for one, straight-up, I can't see anything that would compel me to say "yes".

Still, it's good to see a new Cobalt boat for sale, and to see them at the forefront of what seems to be a new trend.

http://www.cobaltboats.com/our_boats/CS3/
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
'SotaBota
Ensign
Ensign

Re: Cobalt introduces new CS3 for 2016

Post by 'SotaBota »

Couldn't agree more. I really don't like that boat.

I'm not a huge transom walk-through guy as I hate losing rear bench seating space but dual walkthroughs surrounding engine with "island" sun pad couldn't be less appealing personally.

I just don't see it at all, I'm kinda shocked this even made it to market.

SB
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

I would never have guessed that you could sell a Dodge Challenger or Charger for $60k+ either when an M3 is about the same price, but I saw one (hellcat trim) on the road last week too. It will be interesting to see if there's a similar market out there for these that I just don't get.
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

I was able to check out a CS3 courtesy of the Cobalt Boats booth sponsored by Erickson Marine at the local boat show last night, and now sort of get what they are trying to do. The lines have just a hint of the classic wooden runabouts, but the materials look like they are straight out of a Malibu or Ski Nautique. The ski boat booths definitely attracted a certain segment of the market (including a lot of people who probably won't ski or wakeboard), and I suspect Cobalt wants to figure out how to get some of that business that the WSS boats aren't grabbing.

I now sort of see it as a PT Cruiser of Cobalt Boats.

John
cobalter
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by cobalter »

Interesting, model for the young but over 60K?? I will stay with my 210. But I do have a Charger SRT 392, but only for 52K. Back from Bondurant a couple of weeks ago using the school 392 for 2 day high performance. It's a monster even on the track so can't figure the Hellcat for 64K unless one is going to drag it. I must say the 392 it is one great road car and that's coming from a MB E550. Too bad I can't tow the 210 with it.
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Um something like this! :-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

I'm also a little put off by renaming the "10 Series" the "Gateway Series," as though the only reason somebody would buy one is as an introduction to their larger boats. I doubt I would somehow be happier with an A28 that I can't tow anywhere, is cumbersome for watersports, and chews through gas at double the rate of my 210...
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

So I had nothing to do today but to go too the dealership and spend money and they had a 2017 CS3 on the showroom floor. Black side and then white. It wasn't too bad. Not for me but better than I thought. The new wider inside that cobalt is doing I don't care too much for. It just looks like they forgot something on the side of the boat and the cup holders on the floor? But they had a 2016 r3 and if I was in the market it prob would have been in my garage. I like the 2016 better than the 2017. The vinyl just looks nicer I think.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

I'm Liking that R3 WSS personally, although I hate the branding.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Yes I would go wss also. I love the graphics.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

I bought a 210 not too many years ago, and added options until it was equipped comparably to a WSS but didn't get the true WSS with the graphics. You can really customize the Cobalt boats pretty well - I wish some car manufacturers were so flexible.
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I will say the new dashes in these boats are cool. No more guages. My brother and I were talking that mercury and Volvo are missing the boat on diagnoses though. They should be building in diagnoses into the dash now. Then the techs won't need laptops and stuff. Kind of like the old Cadillac days for me. Push some buttons and password and you are in diagnostic mode.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

Bigblock, then you don't have to go to the dealer for service, though, and the engine manufacturers can't sell a service computer to every dealership. Even OBD-II is hobbled on a lot of vehicles to prevent enterprising end users from getting at stuff they only want paying techs to get into.
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

The codes to get into it would never get out. Right? With all the GPS and wifi stuff out there it could be done in a secure way I think.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

There's always a way to find what you're looking for.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL