Floating pads/mats

thunder550
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Floating pads/mats

Post by thunder550 »

Wife is interested in getting one of these floating mats for next season. They look pretty cool, seen quite a few people using them out on the water. I don't know anything about them though...are there any brands that are better than any others? Recommendations on size?

They look pretty bulky and like they would be in the way when not in use, that's my only hesitation. With inflatable toys you can deflate and stuff in a compartment, but everyone I've seen with one of these has them strapped to the swim deck, which seems like it would make the swim deck unusable. Do any of you have one of these? Is it worth it?
aqualilypad-baseball-049.jpg
aqua-lily-pad-on-boat-beach-toyz_large.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1995 Cobalt 252 - 502 Mag EFI - Bravo 1 - 21" Revolution 4
NautiGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Floating pads/mats

Post by NautiGirl »

I don't have one because I'm like you..seems like a PITA. we already carry a tube around on the back when underway and we just unhook that and use that to float on when at anchor.
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
CANDIED RED 2007 222 320hp 6.2L
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

For us we could drop it off at my brothers after using it. What I heard if you can't touch the bottom of the lake rolling it back up is a bitch. If you have a swim platform at least it's easy to haul around. Plus with the factory platform you have the stainless around the edge to strap it too. I just can't see spending $500 for them.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Post by cmattj »

We use ours off the dock and take it with us a lot....fun city!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

I like these Lily pads but not enough to buy one. We just hangout on everyone else's!
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
thunder550
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by thunder550 »

Ytmsn wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:59 pm I like these Lily pads but not enough to buy one. We just hangout on everyone else's!
We need to make more lake friends I guess :lol:

cmattj, does your pad get in the way when rolled up on the swim deck? How hard is it to deploy and roll up?
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

I have helped my buddies roll theirs up lots of times and it's not too bad once you kinda get a system down. What I have learned though... They both bave the thin version and both have split. Kids tend to jump from the boat on it and adults (maybe after a beverage or 4) tend to challenge each other to try and run to the other end without falling. Great fun but it's hard on them. Especially when we tie them end to end...

Of course if you buy the thick version I'm sure it would REally a bitch to roll up. And then when it's strapped on the swimdeck basically closes off the back. But a good enough trade-off if you want to just hang in the water. Or make new friends!
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Post by cmattj »

thunder550 wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:22 pm
Ytmsn wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:59 pm I like these Lily pads but not enough to buy one. We just hangout on everyone else's!
We need to make more lake friends I guess :lol:

cmattj, does your pad get in the way when rolled up on the swim deck? How hard is it to deploy and roll up?
We take it mostly when we anchor in deeper water if we know we are tying off with a couple more boats..

folding it we stand on the swim deck and poster fold it ( yes 2 people)

Shallow water it's easy and it has Velcro straps that suck it in plus act as tie off to the rear grab handles when under way. Docking .. just loosen one side and off you go.

It stays on our dock mostly.. kids love it

What stays on our boat is the noodles from "Sportstuff "

Fold up easy.. thick. Most important.. cup holders!!
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON
thunder550
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by thunder550 »

We already have 2 tubes and those SportStuff noodles look awesome, maybe I'll get a couple and we'll just stick with that for the time being. I'm not convinced I wouldn't get frustrated with the mats, plus the price tag is pretty hard to swallow. Thanks all :)
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Hey, now that we have the extended swim platform on our 263, we may just try one of those Aqua-Lily Mats!

With all the jumping off the boat we do, thick would be our preference. However, I see they go as high as $999 on amazon--and Christmas is over. Birthday maybe?? :P

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Table Rockin
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Table Rockin »

We have a version of this called the "chillraft". Supposedly is better quality than the lilypad but I could say for sure. I can tell you the damn dog chewed up one side pretty good from his nails. Its not like it hurts the performance of it but still. We haul it on the back swim platform and yes once its there it makes getting in and out of the boat that way impossible. Since we boat at table rock touching bottom is never an option so when we roll it up my wife gets on it and does most of the rolling while I'm floating in the water holding it from the side to keep it from unraveling until we get the straps wrapped around it. There is no way to do any water sports towing unless you have a tower and use it. Usually we either boat relatively close to the dock so that we can drop off/pick up as desired or just make a decision before we go out no water sports. Or conversely, no pad play for the day.

And yes they're F'n expensive. The kids love it though :/
2017 R7 WSS Volvo 6.0L 430 HP
"The Mistress"
Table Rock Lake, MO (Indian Point Area)
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Post by cmattj »

If you guys have a Costco come spring they where $299.95. ( Neptunes island)

The grandkids love it as we leave on the dock mostly just tied off by the bungy.
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON
thunder550
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by thunder550 »

Slip at the lake is in our 3-4 year plan. Probably will look at one of these at that point, we can do like you guys and either leave it on the dock or bring with us depending on what we want. Would also be able to swap it out during the day as desired.
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

If you guys have a Costco come spring they where $299.95.

Wow!
Thx for the heads up, Matt.
We shall keep an eye out for this.

Kids look like they are having a blast too! Great pic. 👍🏻
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
tgrace98
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by tgrace98 »

I saw these at the Sam's Club by me last spring too. I remember seeing them and thinking wow 300 bucks for a foam pad is ridiculous. Now pricing these out I realize how cheap that was. I was boat-less in 2017 (worst year of my life btw :) ) so I wasn't in the market at the time. However if I see any this year I plan to snag one
2019 Cobalt R7 VP 6.2 380hp
“Smooth Operator”

Lake St. Louis, MO
Table Rock Lake