2017 R7 WSS Volvo 6.0L 430 HP
"The Mistress"
Table Rock Lake, MO (Indian Point Area)
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Cobalt 282 with twin 8.1 L Volvos

Post by cmattj »

Markus wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:34 pm Hi everyone, attached is a picture of the boat being purchased. Consequences of early posting before ownership be damned! The other two attachments are the Samson Sports Blade tower. Asking for advice on aesthetics. Going with blade tower with custom Cobalt logo'd base shown in picture in matching Cobalt blue bad or good idea? I am not going to do panel insert with "COBALT". Will have matching Bimini.

Sorry I can't add anything on scorpions. All ours have frozen.

Markus.
Awesome Markus..

That's is going to be so much fun for you and your family.! No worries on Jinxing the deal. Understandable that it is hard to share your total excitement until you can "lick the door handles" so to speak. but we have all been there.!!

I like your tower Ideas and look forward to seeing how it pans out. Nice to see that add and I may follow you as well since your getting the groundwork done. ( I'm going to vote White with the logo only as you mentioned).

You're going to have a blast with her!! :D :D
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON
Driller
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Driller »

Ytmsn wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:50 pm Ha a! Someone told Driller "Texas sage is good scents" and he thought he said "sense"😊

That's okay old buddy, we still love you
That's a good one YT
2011 242 Volvo Penta 8.1 Gi
"DIGGIN' IT"
Driller
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Driller »

Markus..I'm also interested in the tower install. I've been wanting to put one on my boat, but I'm afraid of the hassle.

Step-by-step photos are required for any project.
2011 242 Volvo Penta 8.1 Gi
"DIGGIN' IT"
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Great look Markus!

Yes, I think I would prefer just the Cobalt logo symbols (vs both logo symbol and Name) on the tower inserts. Either way looks sweet though. I like Cobalt matched blue color. C

Cool tinted windshield too.....actually...very James Bondish! 8-)
Last edited by AsLan7 on Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Ok so I'm a little lost. Where did you get pictures of the Cobalts with those towers already on them?
Does the gunnel need to be flat.
I like the looks of them! I see Yt spending some cash soon!
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Markus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Markus »

They are in the "gallery" of the Samson towers website. Samson has them listed by boat brand which is super helpful. Yes the gunnel needs to be flat - at least for Blade series. They can tell you the requirements once you select a tower model. LMK if you can't find website.
Markus
Cobalt 282 Twin 8.1 Volvos
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Do you just like the looks of the tower or are you going be using it for wake boarding? Just wondering why you want to add one. If my boat didn't come with one , well it kind of Doesn't now, I don't think I would add one.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

Ewwww. I like It! A7 will probably tell me my 2001wasn't designed to have a tower,, but maybe I can beef up the mounting location with backing plates? I see towers on '01s all the time, so I wonder what they did, if they did anything?

I absolutely like it Markus. I'm with the other guys, I don't think I'd go with the plates and name, just the logo. Without the plates it'll really make a difference in how it looks. And your blue boat with a yellow stripe really looks good!
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Post by cmattj »

Ytmsn wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:21 am Ewwww. I like It! A7 will probably tell me my 2001wasn't designed to have a tower,, but maybe I can beef up the mounting location with backing plates? I see towers on '01s all the time, so I wonder what they did, if they did anything?

I absolutely like it Markus. I'm with the other guys, I don't think I'd go with the plates and name, just the logo. Without the plates it'll really make a difference in how it looks. And your blue boat with a yellow stripe really looks good!
I'm interested on the angle it winds up being..(In relation to the deck as it has a upward slope)
I think the 260 and 280 have that wide flat back that will work good. Now depending on how far forward you go with it could get tricky as the OEM seems further back on the deck. Thats why I was wonder if the Bimini will still have a purpose.

Im sure your 2001 would be fine. Plates could be added to the under side to help strengthen it. Cobalt probably added some layers in the next years for the tower.

I'm all in after Markus takes the bullet..
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

Yeah Matt Cobalt told me in 2002 they strengthened the design on the gunal and added the bimini arch. I never tow anything but I'd worry about stress cracks forming in the gelcoat if I added one (the aluminum bimini arch is not designed to tow either)

Samson has this reverse arch design too. It doesn't fold but I'm okay with that. Looking at the bowlights, this picture is from a 2001 262 (or 282?)
Screenshot_20180216-062719.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Black Boats Matter"
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Post by cmattj »

Ytmsn wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:08 am Yeah Matt Cobalt told me in 2002 they strengthened the design on the gunal and added the bimini arch. I never tow anything but I'd worry about stress cracks forming in the gelcoat if I added one (the aluminum bimini arch is not designed to tow either)

Samson has this reverse arch design too. It doesn't fold but I'm okay with that. Looking at the bowlights, this picture is from a 2001 262 (or 282?)
Not a 282.could even be a 240 series . and those side mounted arches are probably just easier to get to the hardware and more flexible for a lot more boats (that pic looks dis proportionate. (is that a word?)

Ahhhhh Cobalt 10k Stainless towers is Just for Looks then.. sneaky..cant tow?? Just a grab rail with a Bimini.. Now Im a Sampson Blade Fan

Look at the Blade Tower from sampson....It mirrors the newer Cobalt Forward design and it mounts downward next to our fold up seat compartments along the wide area. I see the mold on mine where the hardware would go through and I assume Markus is going the same area.. or maybe a little forward if there is room..

Cmon Markus.. your tower followers are waiting!!
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

cmattj wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:18 am
Ytmsn wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:08 am Yeah Matt Cobalt told me in 2002 they strengthened the design on the gunal and added the bimini arch. I never tow anything but I'd worry about stress cracks forming in the gelcoat if I added one (the aluminum bimini arch is not designed to tow either)

Not a 282.could even be a 240 series . and those side mounted arches are probably just easier to get to the hardware and more flexible for a lot more boats (that pic looks dis proportionate. (is that a word?)

Ahhhhh Cobalt 10k Stainless towers is Just for Looks then.. sneaky..cant tow?? Just a grab rail with a Bimini.. Now Im a Sampson Blade Fan

Look at the Blade Tower from sampson....It mirrors the newer Cobalt Forward design and it mounts downward next to our fold up seat compartments along the wide area. I see the mold on mine where the hardware would go through and I assume Markus is going the same area.. or maybe a little forward if there is room..

Looks more like a 252 to me.

There are three arch options on later 262/263 models.
The fiberglass and aluminum arches are not usable for towing

Only the $10,000 stainless arch upgrade is usable for towing.

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

Well, yeah, for $10,000 I'd just carry a picture of A7's boat to show and tell them "maybe one of these days!"
"Black Boats Matter"
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Post by cmattj »

AsLan7 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:31 am
cmattj wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:18 am

Looks more like a 252 to me.

There are three arch options on later 262/263 models.
The fiberglass and aluminum arches are not usable for towing

Only the $10,000 stainless arch upgrade is usable for towing.

Ok.. that makes sence!! Thanks for clarifying that pal.. mmmmmm good luck on finding a used one ?

The fold down version of the Blade looks like there newer Cobalt design with the box mount.

I like the version Markus posted and the cost he stated seems reasonable..
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON