My New 2016 Cobalt 210

(200, 210, 220, CS series)
BobRae99
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: My New 2016 Cobalt 210

Post by BobRae99 »

jhnmdahl wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:32 am Bob,

That's exactly the story - the V8 225 and V8 300 have the same torque (and horsepower) up to over 4000 rpm, where the V8 225 is simply computer-limited to not rev as high or put out as much peak HP as the 300. Honestly, I like the big torquey motor and duo prop - I can get on plane in just over three seconds.

That said, it's a great boat to put the bimini up and swim, grab a beer, and get some sun too, which is how we spend most of our boat time.

John
According to the information published by Cobalt, the 5th Gen V6/280 gets up on plane in 2.9 seconds and the V8/300 gets up on plane in 2.3 seconds. Of course, that is with one person on the boat and half a tank of gas. Clearly the V8 would have an advantage on a loaded boat, but that will be because of the torque. So, I just made the decision for the first boat that given my use, as long as I can get a skier out of the water easily with 4 adults on board, I'll be fine.

I'm afraid to go to the boat show in March - the dealer will be displaying an R3. That is my dream boat with tower, bimini upgraded sound system and a Volvo Penta V8/380. :)
2019 Cobalt R3 - V8/350 - Ebony Hull w/ Knock Out Red Edge Stripe
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

Bob we got by for over 10 years with a V6 in a 23' cuddy cabin, pulling tubes, kneeboards, skiers and boatloads of kids and people. It was like a suburban on the water. We didn't go anyplace fast because wasn't fast and it rode like a beet wagon anyway.

You will be fine and love your boat! It will have plenty of power to do what you want and still run plenty fast all while ride like a flying carpet. Because it's a Cobalt! Looking forward to seeing your new boat out on the lake!

Even if summer will be about over by the time you get there.😊😊
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

BobRae99 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:38 am According to the information published by Cobalt, the 5th Gen V6/280 gets up on plane in 2.9 seconds and the V8/300 gets up on plane in 2.3 seconds. Of course, that is with one person on the boat and half a tank of gas.
Good point, but my wife would be pissed if I left her, her fiends, or all the stuff she packs on the dock :)
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
BobRae99
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by BobRae99 »

jhnmdahl wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:27 pm
BobRae99 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:38 am According to the information published by Cobalt, the 5th Gen V6/280 gets up on plane in 2.9 seconds and the V8/300 gets up on plane in 2.3 seconds. Of course, that is with one person on the boat and half a tank of gas.
Good point, but my wife would be pissed if I left her, her fiends, or all the stuff she packs on the dock :)
Oddly, my wife will be happy to be left on the dock (or rather dry land) - she gets motion sickness in a bath tub, so without meds, no boating for her. Just me and the kids and some friends, while my wife reads a book in the cottage.
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

BobRae99 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:05 am
jhnmdahl wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:19 am I've got a 210 as well and love it - a great size for towing around but not feeling out of place on a bigger lake. I got the old V8 with Volvo duo-prop (probably the lowest HP engine on this board, but torquey), and I find I rarely run it wide open - usually cruise around 3000-3500 rpm, with a pretty comfortable ride and nice gas mileage. The big lake near me technically has a 40mph speed limit, and mine tops out just shy of 50mph.

John
I spent a lot of time considering the power option, but in the end I decided to follow the advice of the local dealer that the new V6/280 will be more than adequate for my needs. When it comes to cars, I have always leaned towards the more powerful engines, but with my last BMW purchase, I found for my driving style the Inline 6 cylinder 535 was more than adequate and the V8 550 (455HP) was just not necessary. Sure, the 550 is faster, but there are few places around here to use it.

I think the public gets a bit confused with the numbers too (I know I did). While new new V8/300 only has 20 more HP than the V6/280, there is a significant difference in the torque outputs. I'm starting to thing that when you compare old generation Volvo Penta engines, you might be better off with a V8/225 than a V6 engine boasting more HP.

Based on what I've read and researched, with 4 adults in the boat and pulling up my 11 year old weighing 60 lbs, I doubt I'll have much trouble. I won't be the quickest (to accelerate) or the fastest boat (top speed) in the marina, but I think I'll have the best and most solid hull for the lake and from what I'm hearing, I'll have a quieter riding boat than most others.

In the end, the quality is what sold me on Cobalt and if I was wrong about the engine choice (and Big Block was right), the dealer has said they'll get me out of the boat without "murdering me", after the first season.

So, with that, I wait for the boating season .... :)
It's all relative. Your expectations are totally different then mine. You may think it's great and I would get in it and say no way. Did you know why Cobalt has the cleats that they have and not the pop up ones. It's because Cobalt doesn't want you to hear rattles, the pop up cleats can rattle. I complain about my bb. Ok no I don't.lol I complain more that my hull is so slow. But ill give that up for the ride this boat has. So yes I'm sure you made the right choice for now and when you get the two footies you will go bigger. We all do :-)
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Did you know why Cobalt has the cleats that they have and not the pop up ones. It's because Cobalt doesn't want you to hear rattles, the pop up cleats can rattle. I

I asked the same question at the Annapolis Boat show.

The Cobalt rep said that salt water & sand corrode those pop up cleats. Sounds true...but have never been able to verify this. :|

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

AsLan7 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:30 pm
Did you know why Cobalt has the cleats that they have and not the pop up ones. It's because Cobalt doesn't want you to hear rattles, the pop up cleats can rattle. I

I asked the same question at the Annapolis Boat show.

The Cobalt rep said that salt water & sand corrode those pop up cleats. Sounds true...but have never been able to verify this. :|

I personally would rather have pop up cleats. I had then on Clifford loved them. Nothing gets caught on them. Never had a issues with rattles from them either. I've thought about switching them over. There goes the drilling again. Nope. There good. I don't have salt issues either.lol
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Bob
I just thought I would dig up this old thread of your first boat.
Man that was a sharp boat.
I saw this sign and thought about first time boat owners. Did your dealer have anything like this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

ajcampen wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:55 pm As long as it isn’t considered a Steelers boat....then u r good. Those r army colors son! Or Iowa hockey’s!
Rotated your boat picture on page one for ya' AJC so we can see those Steeler colors in all their glory. :D
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
BobRae99
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by BobRae99 »

Big Block Power wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:49 pm Bob
I just thought I would dig up this old thread of your first boat.
Man that was a sharp boat.
I saw this sign and thought about first time boat owners. Did your dealer have anything like this.
Not really. He dropped the boat in the water and we went for a ride on the lake and the back to the slip for a thorough going through. After that I was on my own. In 2011 I took a boat safety course, required in Canada to get a Pleasure Craft Operators Card, which is required to operate boats. Most people just read the material and write a honour system online course but I did a 3 month course which was comprised of a 3 hour class once a week. Lots of useful information for the power boater and sailor alike. At the time I was spending summers sailing a keelboat on Lake of the Woods and didn’t know one bout from the next and who had right of way, etc.

The boating course didn’t take no luxe any practical time on the water though so Inwas plenty nervous the first half a dozen times I took my 210 out. I’m sure it will be the same with my R3, but I have a longer and wider slip this year so maybe that will lower the anxiety level. I should have the boat in the water a week this Tuesday. I’ll be doing a pre purchase inspection as soon as the dealer has the PDI done. I want to talk to them about making sure the Garmins are updated and I’ve already told them I’d like the fuel sensor calibrated according to the Volvo Penta procedure to make sure the range to empty is functioning correctly.
ajcampen
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ajcampen »

AsLan7 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:52 pm
ajcampen wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:55 pm As long as it isn’t considered a Steelers boat....then u r good. Those r army colors son! Or Iowa hockey’s!
Rotated your boat picture on page one for ya' AJC so we can see those Steeler colors in all their glory. :D
Come on A7...it’s a army boat mr airforce
2016 R7 VP 380
2014 220S Merc 5.0L (sold)
Columbus, OH
Chautauqua, NY
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

ajcampen wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:53 pm
AsLan7 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:52 pm
Come on A7...it’s a army boat mr airforce
Roger that my friend. In Ohio it’s an Army boat...in PA it converts to Steeler colors. ;)

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Bob
We have the same course's here as well. Diff states diff rules. But here some course's are online some are class room like you did a few hours at night for a few months. when my oldest went we also went on the water with all diff types of boats that volunteers let the youngsters drive, paddle and row. It was awesome. We had to drive a hour for that one. Well worth it.
Were this sign was I believe if you rent a boat you have to be certain age and have a permit. If not you have to take a class.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!