Volvo Bellows Change

AdamIPS
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Volvo Bellows Change

Post by AdamIPS »

Has anyone changed their own bellows on a Volvo DPS-A/SX? I have yet to find a good video on YouTube that describes the process with this drive. I have the Volvo manual, but I assume there are many extra steps that don't necessarily need to take place and I'm more of a visual learner with this type of thing. I've also found a couple of spotty write-ups on various forums, but steps appear to be missing. Last year I changed them on a Merc Alpha, which wasn't horribly difficult, but there are videos galore with those! Thanks in advance.
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Volvo Bellows Change

Post by AsLan7 »

Hey AdamIPS, good to hear from you again.

I have not personally changed the bellows on a VP DP. I’m sure someone here has and they’ll chime in shortly.

Btw, did you ever get your black carpet?
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

I've never done it but if I was going to the trouble of changing the bellows I'd probably do an engine alignment as well. And of course service the gimbal.
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
lilhackster
Commander
Commander

Post by lilhackster »

Hi real easy to do, I have dp-sm drives but basically the same, I pull them every year, check bearing, alignment and bellows, replaced bellows this year, takes about 1/2 hour to pull drive and another hour to replace bellows, total 1 1/2 to 2 hours with greasing nimble bearing and alignment check. a good link with pictures is go to Iboats.com, click on forums, scroll down to I/O volvo penta, go to sticky adults only, click on volvo pent information then post 4 will be what you want, good luck
lilhackster
Commander
Commander

Post by lilhackster »

damn spell check, gimble not nimble
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

lilhackster wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:51 pm damn spell check, gimble not nimble
Oh your just nimble and sticky at the same time.lol
Thanks for the lead.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
AdamIPS
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by AdamIPS »

Thank you everyone for your replies. I wasn't the one looking for black carpet (that sounds hot!), but I would like to replace my original carpet because the backing is coming off. Same goes for replacing my bimini and boot... they're getting tired.

Anyway, I did see that write up on iBoats regarding the bellows. That is one that appeared to be missing a couple of steps and not all the pictures seemed to be attached. When I take this project on, I may video it to help others. I also do plan to change the gimbal bearing and do an alignment since I'm tearing into it. There seems to be plenty of how-tos on that!
slideruleracer
Captain
Captain

Post by slideruleracer »

Well, I'm in the process of doing mine now, but with all of the pieces in my garage. I pressed out the gimbal with my 20ton press, so it's probably not very useful to you. Good luck!
2004 250
502 Gxi
Order your Umbrella Adapters, no drill TigTech flagpole kits and seat repair kits from:
http://www.slideruleracing.com