One of those "what do you do" threads...

jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: One of those "what do you do" threads...

Post by jhnmdahl »

Strongman, yep, J.D. from the hometown school University of Minnesota. Cosmetic science is pretty interesting - I bumped up on some cosmetics work when I was at my first firm. Lots more science in it than you would think, and lots more money if you can build a decent brand name.
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

I graduated high school.🧠🧠🧠
Applause please..🤣

I went one year to Ohio State, and as a freshman, I ended up being placed in the football players dormitory...long before NCAA rules kept them in line...
I still have a headache from those days... those inner city guys took this small town white boy under their wing and taught me....”things”....
Best time of my life👳‍♂️

Bottom line, I was a little too free of a spirit (ADD) to sit in a seat and work for a company, and I knew it then..and knew I better get busy figuring it out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Table Rockin
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Table Rockin »

Entrepreneurial american spirit. Creating jobs and supporting a family.
2017 R7 WSS Volvo 6.0L 430 HP
"The Mistress"
Table Rock Lake, MO (Indian Point Area)
Skiingstrongman
Captain
Captain

Post by Skiingstrongman »

jhnmdahl wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:29 pm Strongman, yep, J.D. from the hometown school University of Minnesota. Cosmetic science is pretty interesting - I bumped up on some cosmetics work when I was at my first firm. Lots more science in it than you would think, and lots more money if you can build a decent brand name.
That’s pretty much how I got into it. I took a tech spot at Unilever out of school and ended up really taking to it. Plenty of science for me and a lot of cross functional support so I am not locked away in a lab all day. Nowhere near the volatility of biopharma which is what I thought I would be graduating school at first.
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Table Rockin wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:23 pm Entrepreneurial american spirit. Creating jobs and supporting a family.
I think I look at it this way, where we are all discovering and developing our own particular talent and live the dream.
When I discover mine, I’ll let everyone know. I’m still figuring out what I want to be when I grow up.🤣
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Driller
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Driller »

Same here. Never really had a "plan". Started out roughnecking on rigs during the summers while going to high school, but I knew it wasn't for me. Tried some college, but I was a little too young and too free spirited, didn't know what the game was let alone how to play it. Caught a few lucky breaks along the way and was working for independent oil companies by the age of 20 as an Engineering Tech. Found out I was a pretty good problem solver and that thinking outside of the box has it advantages. Caught a few more lucky breaks working for some really great bosses along the way.

Ended up in middle management in a job that suits me to a tee. I like to mentor, train, and help the youngsters. Retired after 32 years with the same company, have my one-man consulting company, and currently I am consulting at the same company I retired from, in the same job, and working with the same bunch of guys.
2011 242 Volvo Penta 8.1 Gi
"DIGGIN' IT"
hoghead54
Captain
Captain

Post by hoghead54 »

Driller, I know kind of what your saying about the oil patch, when I was in Alaska I went to a BBQ at the welding supervisors house one night(he was dating my mother in law) I went in the house to say hi and there were pistols,rifles,shotguns everywhere and some of the biggest steaks I'd ever seen for dinner. He told me IF the shooting starts and I see you anywhere but on the floor under the table I'll have you on the first plane home in the morning.I was like WHAT?!?!.....Come to find out he...the company....had offered the welders a very lucrative cash bonus to weld out early and the 798'ers didn't like that so they had put out a contract on him. What an eye opener for naive little me and then there was the enforcer the 798 brought in....WOW.
ajcampen
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ajcampen »

Bump for new members
2016 R7 VP 380
2014 220S Merc 5.0L (sold)
Columbus, OH
Chautauqua, NY
TinCupp
Commander
Commander

Post by TinCupp »

Nice bump AJ. I’ve missed this one as a newbie. I’m an architect turned Technologist for a general contractor/builder. A few of our better known projects are:
This : https://goo.gl/images/Z6XVsf
and
This : https://goo.gl/images/J87juW

We’re currently building this one too : https://goo.gl/images/ugYkDP

As a technologist, I help our teams figure out what emerging forms of tech can be embraced to make building these crazy complex projects safe, efficient and a success for our customers.
2004 226
496 Mag HO
Lake Minnetonka, MN
Table Rockin
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Table Rockin »

Technologist sounds like the appropriate term. Very cool.
2017 R7 WSS Volvo 6.0L 430 HP
"The Mistress"
Table Rock Lake, MO (Indian Point Area)
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Very cool. Tc. We might have to watch a viking/packer game there one time. Lol
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
TinCupp
Commander
Commander

Post by TinCupp »

Big Block Power wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:01 pm Very cool. Tc. We might have to watch a viking/packer game there one time. Lol
Come on over. I won’t be so bold as to wear yellow and green but I’ll yell bad things at both sides :-)
2004 226
496 Mag HO
Lake Minnetonka, MN
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

TinCupp wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:14 pm
Big Block Power wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:01 pm Very cool. Tc. We might have to watch a viking/packer game there one time. Lol
Come on over. I won’t be so bold as to wear yellow and green but I’ll yell bad things at both sides :-)
Actually I really do want to see a game there. Maybe a CC tailgate party. John you in? Mlb? We have plenty of members that might be able to do this.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
mtwbldr
Commander
Commander

Post by mtwbldr »

Good thread I never saw this
I’m a custom home builder and developer. Did a bit of remodeling for people here after Harvey, but now mostly stick to new construction.
‘11 A25
Merc 8.2 mag 380HP
Bravo III
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Geez TinCup, what a boring job🤣.
Seriously, building projects like that, and the architectural drawing talent involved just amazes..
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine