How far is your main lake? Do you trailer or slip?

Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Re: How far is your main lake? Do you trailer or slip?

Post by Ytmsn »

Our lakehouse is two hours and 45 minutes, with a covered slip and lift. We used to go every weekend, and now at least twice a month, more if it works out.
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

Skiingstrongman wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 4:29 am Wet slip at the lake. It's a 35-40 minute drive up.

I actually live 5 minutes from Long Island Sound but the water isn't great for what we do. I also get more use on the lake. There are frequent small craft advisories and I have been able to go out on a beautiful day at the lake while the sound is a washing machine.
What lake?
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
ColinC
Captain
Captain

Post by ColinC »

Tuscany wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 9:57 am Ontario is very close. About an hour from my house. Maybe a trip across the lake and over to Toronto sometime. Only about 20 or so miles across the lake from Olcott, but down on the list because I don't know anything about the hot places to boat there. Can you share what you know and do on Ontario?
I'd like to move it up the list if I knew where to go.
Thanks.
Being Toronto-based, I'm happy to shed a bit of light on Lake Ontario on the Canadian side of the border.

To be blunt, Lake Ontario near Toronto isn't particularly scenic. If you like nightlife, shopping, sightseeing and baseball, make your way into Toronto Harbour. Just keep in mind that there's a lot of boat traffic and the harbour itself isn't all that scenic. Still, there is plenty to see and do, once you've tied up.

If it were me, and I had a great lakes sized boat, I'd head to the 1,000 Islands at the east end of Lake Ontario. Or, I'd head north from Lake Ontario up the Trent Canal (starting at Trenton) or the Rideau Canal (starting at Kingston). Taking the Trent Canal you can make your way through to Georgian Bay on Lake Huron. Lots of towns to visit along the way. The lift locks are an impressive feat of engineering and historically significant.

Georgian Bay and the North Channel are considered havens for fresh water cruising. But it's big water. If that's not your thing, I'd head to the Muskoka Lakes. Specifically the 'big three' -- Lake Rosseau, Lake Joseph and Lake Muskoka. These lakes are interconnected and each is very, very large. There is a tonne of great boating and you don't have to worry about the conditions you'd face on the great lakes. Muskoka is a lot like the Adirondacks and Lake Winnipesaukee. There's a lot of money in Muskoka and plenty of Cobalts!

Great boating, great beer and a favourable exchange rate make Ontario a perfect place to visit this summer!
2007 Cobalt 212 with 5.7L Volvo gi
Toronto, Canada
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

Tuscany wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 9:57 am Ontario is very close. About an hour from my house. Maybe a trip across the lake and over to Toronto sometime. Only about 20 or so miles across the lake from Olcott, but down on the list because I don't know anything about the hot places to boat there. Can you share what you know and do on Ontario?
Thanks.
From Rochester I'll usually pop into Irondequoit Bay and then depending on weather move out from there. There's plenty of sandy beaches and boats are everywhere anchored off them but it's big water and can change quickly. I've also seen people get stuck in sandbars and get thrashed pretty good. Respect the sea and know your water.

Sodus Bay is pretty incredible as well but in the opposite direction for you.

I've looked into crossing the border someday. My boat could certainly handle it but I'd need equipment - GPS, radio to be sure - It'd be foolish to consider in a 19ft boat without. That being said on a calm day it's 20 miles give or take across. You could rip across it in no time. Get caught in any kind of weather and you just might spend the rest of your life there.

What I wanted to do was kind of just plod along the edges heading up to Toronto and find places to stop and dock along the way - make a few days trip of it.

The other option for Ontario is the 1000 Islands which is incredible. There are some really cool spots all throughout the river. I have family up that way and have boated quite a bit - people know how to live up that way.

There are some BIG ships that run it though that push a lot of water - fun on a jet ski, not on a boat.

Depending on where you are Tuscany the FInger lakes are not far at all and definitely worth checking out. Conesus I believe is the closest to you and Canandaigua is where I spend the most time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

ColinC wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 11:21 am
Thanks.
Being Toronto-based, I'm happy to shed a bit of light on Lake Ontario on the Canadian side of the border.

To be blunt, Lake Ontario near Toronto isn't particularly scenic. If you like nightlife, shopping, sightseeing and baseball, make your way into Toronto Harbour. Just keep in mind that there's a lot of boat traffic and the harbour itself isn't all that scenic. Still, there is plenty to see and do, once you've tied up.

If it were me, and I had a great lakes sized boat, I'd head to the 1,000 Islands at the east end of Lake Ontario. Or, I'd head north from Lake Ontario up the Trent Canal (starting at Trenton) or the Rideau Canal (starting at Kingston). Taking the Trent Canal you can make your way through to Georgian Bay on Lake Huron. Lots of towns to visit along the way. The lift locks are an impressive feat of engineering and historically significant.

Georgian Bay and the North Channel are considered havens for fresh water cruising. But it's big water. If that's not your thing, I'd head to the Muskoka Lakes. Specifically the 'big three' -- Lake Rosseau, Lake Joseph and Lake Muskoka. These lakes are interconnected and each is very, very large. There is a tonne of great boating and you don't have to worry about the conditions you'd face on the great lakes. Muskoka is a lot like the Adirondacks and Lake Winnipesaukee. There's a lot of money in Muskoka and plenty of Cobalts!

Great boating, great beer and a favourable exchange rate make Ontario a perfect place to visit this summer!
This. Colin popped in while I was writing my dissertation - 1,000 islands: I concur
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
Skiingstrongman
Captain
Captain

Post by Skiingstrongman »

liquid wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 11:08 am
Skiingstrongman wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 4:29 am Wet slip at the lake. It's a 35-40 minute drive up.

I actually live 5 minutes from Long Island Sound but the water isn't great for what we do. I also get more use on the lake. There are frequent small craft advisories and I have been able to go out on a beautiful day at the lake while the sound is a washing machine.
What lake?
Candlewood Lake in Danbury, CT
TwoBurgers
Commander
Commander

Post by TwoBurgers »

I live in Richmond, VA, and Lake Anna is 65 minutes away. I trailer to the lake, but hope to be buying a vacation home at Smith Mountain Lake which is three hours away.
Chris
'13 Cobalt 232 - Merc 350 Mag MPI - B3 w/ Simrek drive shower
'17 Yamaha GP 1800 - Riva S/C Intake and Stage 1 plus re-flash
'07 Honda F-12X GPScape - MACSBoost module and IC
'13 Toyota 4Runner Limited - AirLift air bags
Southernboatman
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Southernboatman »

Where I boat. This is Alabama Point, Perdido Pass is the Gulf inlet here aswell as Mobile Bay a few miles to the west.
2014 R5, Black on Black & White Edge Stripe
Volvo Penta 380hp
Southernboatman
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

The pic. The bridge over the pass.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Volvo Penta 380hp
Southernboatman
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Behind me is Alabama on the left and Florida in the middle. Perdido Bay in between and split between AL and FL. Nice protected inland water with gulf access. Intercoastal waterway (ICW) runs right through here also.
Volvo Penta 380hp
Bfun220
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bfun220 »

I visited Perdido Key a few times but never got out on the water. The bay seemed like a great place to take a boat.
2018 r5
2003 220
Southernboatman
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Yes Pretty nice place to be. Next time down you havea ride out!
Volvo Penta 380hp
Southernboatman
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

The area here. Mobile Bay to,left and Pensacola Bay to right (not shown) with this AL and FL gulf coast all in between. Yes AL does have a gulf coast.
Volvo Penta 380hp
Southernboatman
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Pic too big...cut down and try again.
Volvo Penta 380hp
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Southern, when you are done boating for the day, what do you need to do to flush out the salt?
Do you flush every time?
Thanks.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine