Lake Erie second week of July

(IL, IN, MI, MN, OH, WI)
2ridgebacks
Captain
Captain

Lake Erie second week of July

Post by 2ridgebacks »

The condo is booked. I'll be attending the National Pistol Matches at Camp Perry in Port Clinton, OH the second week of July. The shooting only takes a few hours per day, so I'm planning to take the boat. We are staying in Port Clinton and likely docking on the Portage River. Boating destinations would include Sandusky Bay, Cedar Point, Put-in-Bay, Kellys Island, and anything else interesting. At this time we are arriving for breakfast on Monday and leaving on Friday after the last match. Arrival and departure are subject to change.
Does anyone have any info regarding navigation, safety, things to see (especially on the water), marinas for dockage, and any other good info?
I've been to the are a couple of times. I stayed in Marblehead the first time and stayed on the base two other times. I'm not opposed to trailering to other destinations either.
Thanks in advance.
2012 A25
Volvo 8.1 400hp
MichaelG
Ensign
Ensign

Re: Lake Erie second week of July

Post by MichaelG »

Never been there with a boat myself but that whole area is very nice. I'm sure you won't have issues with docking. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful with specifics. Man, I'd love to attend National Pistol Matches event too. Hope you have a blast, brother!
Here's the best VPN for everyday users on the market.
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

MichaelG wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:58 am Never been there with a boat myself but that whole area is very nice. I'm sure you won't have issues with docking. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful with specifics. Man, I'd love to attend National Pistol Matches event too. Hope you have a blast, brother!

Hey MichaelG. Great to have you here as well. Any pics of your Cobalt? Feel free to post in a new thread if you desire.

...and welcome aboard mate!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
2ridgebacks
Captain
Captain

Post by 2ridgebacks »

MichaelG wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:58 am Never been there with a boat myself but that whole area is very nice. I'm sure you won't have issues with docking. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful with specifics. Man, I'd love to attend National Pistol Matches event too. Hope you have a blast, brother!
Come on! The more the merrier!
2012 A25
Volvo 8.1 400hp
2ridgebacks
Captain
Captain

Post by 2ridgebacks »

Well..... I couldn't get any love in this thread, so I'll chronicle the trip for anyone that cares to read.
The oil is changed in the Expy, tires aired up, and the truck is washed.
Air is checked on the trailer tires. I clocked the props. Does it matter? It can't hurt. I get a vibration when tubing (turning), so I'll see if that helps. Can't hurt.
Everyone is packed. 'Cept me. I'll do that shortly. I have 500 rds or so of ammo to load. I've been procrastinating. Two guns, plus magazines to clean.
Then a nap. Rolling out around 0200. That should put us there for breakfast Sunday. I have a slip at Brand's Marina waiting on us. Check in at the marina at 10. We may run over to Camp Perry to see if there are any early bird specials. Most of the day will be on the lake. Still undecided between Kelly's Island and Put in Bay.
We are still open to suggestions for entertainment and food as well as boating destinations. There should be plenty of pics. Feel free to follow along for the next week!
2012 A25
Volvo 8.1 400hp
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Have fun. Be safe.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

Man I never saw this post or I certainly would have given you some love!

What are you shooting? What caliber? How does the competition work? Range? Time? Accuracy? What level do you shoot at? Is it like amateur, marksman, expert or what?

I've never shot competitively but I've shot a ton. I have a range at my house and go through quite a bit of ammo. Mainly pistols, from .22 up to .45, wheel guns, striker fire and 1911's, and some suppressed.

Now I've gotten into long guns with the AR platform, bolt action suppressed and Saiga 12's for hog hunting. I'm not much of a hunter but I freakin love to shoot.

Lets hear more about your competition!
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Post by cmattj »

I'm subscribed. Fun adventures await
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON
Southernboatman
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Southernboatman »

Good luck 2ridgebacks! Used to do some of that too!
2014 R5, Black on Black & White Edge Stripe
Volvo Penta 380hp
2ridgebacks
Captain
Captain

Post by 2ridgebacks »

Cruising Kelly’s Island now. Big water, big boats. I’ll post boat pics later.
2012 A25
Volvo 8.1 400hp