Where did you put your WOOD COAST GUARD NUMBERS

LOTOHEAD
Commander
Commander

Where did you put your WOOD COAST GUARD NUMBERS

Post by LOTOHEAD »

So we registered our boat with the coast guard for tax reasons as many others have and I have to figure out where I can, and where I want to mount the large wooden plaque with our registration numbers on it. From the instructions it has to be permanently mounted but I have heard of others just putting it in the head and having it available? I'm thinking in the engine bay somewhere but not sure how to "permanently" mount it. I didn't get checked out by water patrol at all last year and we put over 100 hours on the boat so my time is surely coming.
2004 282 8.1 Volvo
“The Lake Effect”
akorcovelos
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Where did you put your WOOD COAST GUARD NUMBERS

Post by akorcovelos »

put it under the helm with some Sikaflex knife grade adhesive. It's 'permanent' but can be removed with a heat gun and a guitar string.
1996 252 Whipple tuned 454 Magnum MPI, 496 exhaust, Corsa Captains Call, B3 w/Simrek drive shower.
‘Direct Deposit Too
Antioch, IL
Fox Chain O' Lakes
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Post by cmattj »

I put mine here on the 282. And used Decal as I’ve done on my last Documented Boat. I’ve had 2 USCG inspections and they were fine with it.
Just insure the NO and height is correct .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON
sailor55330
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by sailor55330 »

First, a USCG documentation number stays with the boat for life. It doesn’t need to be removed. In fact, It specifically calls out thatbit should be mounted in a way that can’t be removed without visible damage. Back when I had an offshore sailboat, the preferred method was to epoxy a plaque somewhere on an inner hull so that any attempt to remove it would show visible signs of tampering. The other recommended practices was to engrave the number in the fiberglass in an out of the way location so that if the plaque was removed it could be verified in a second way. The other posts here are probably right regarding inspections. My guidelines where more based on international waters and theft. I’m sure every locale has their own tolerances. Heck last year my buddy got tagged for not having a state registration sticker on day one of getting the boat back from the body shop. He had it on board but that wasn’t good enough that day. You just never know. If it were me, I’d epoxy it on the inside of the transom wall aft of the engine
LOTOHEAD
Commander
Commander

Post by LOTOHEAD »

I like the idea of the decals cmattj! If I can get away with it I'll have some made. I need to see if any folks at the Lake of the Ozarks have been inspected before. I have been multiple times but never with a USCG registered boat so I don't want any hassles.
2004 282 8.1 Volvo
“The Lake Effect”
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Post by cmattj »

Sailor has great advice as it’s intent is and as I was told ...is for recovery long term in the event of salvaging. Geeze.

Some folks like a pink slip from DMV so it can go back to a CF number down the road to the next owner so they can demonstrate paying state registration. Me I’m just fine having title from USCG.

Sure in a maritime emergency they can take it for whatever national security reason.. but I’m doubtful we’ll see that any time soon. Or maybe?? Nevermind. Lol

I was worried also as I boat on a federal water way that is patrolled by Coast Guard, and Sherrif. My last inspection by the Coast Guard was me asking for a pre season inspection Decal. ( displayed in side window). See if they offer that by you.

The officer said they like the Doc number visible upon tying up so it would be less likely they’re boarding you. That’s a hint he gave me.
Tada.. high in the engine bay.

Only Federally patrolled water ways would enforce your type of signage, as long as it complies with size, Font, and layout. You shouldn’t have any issues.

Now your name and hailing port are tricky on the 282. Make sure you post up some pics!!
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON
lilhackster
Commander
Commander

Post by lilhackster »

IMG_5035.jpeg
this is what I did, glue it on with epoxy, and on the corners tamer proof fastners
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

I like that lilhackster!
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!