26SD...should I steer clear?

cmchild
Ensign
Ensign

26SD...should I steer clear?

Post by cmchild »

I’m new to the forum, and seriously thinking about buying a cobalt very soon. My local dealer has several R5 models (new and used) and several 26SD (new and used as well), and I like both of them. I’m noticing not a lot of traffic on cobalchat around 26SD boats, and not a lot of used 26SDs on the market....should I reconsider buying a 26SD? I will likely own the boat for 5 years or more, but will definitely end up selling it....is selling a 26SD down the line going to be an issue? What are the thoughts on the forum...and from current and former 26SD owners. Should I focus on an R5 instead? Thanks! In advance.
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: 26SD...should I steer clear?

Post by Big Block Power »

Hi and welcome. I would say resale will be much better on a R5 boat. Not sure why the SD is not a hit. The ones that have them on her have no issues with them. I think it really comes down to what fits your needs.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Hey welcome to the Cobaltchat forum cmchild. So glad you found us!

The 26SD does not seem to be as popular as the R series. It is a nice product but just hasn’t caught on as much. I’ll let other owner’s chime in on the advantages and disadvantages of that model.

Again, welcome aboard mate!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
willyswagon
Captain
Captain

Post by willyswagon »

So far I'm more than happy with our 26SD. First Cobalt product I've owned. Love the way it handles. Keeps everyone aboard dry even in choppy waters. We run on the Northumblerland Strait and in the Gulf of St Lawrence(both big bodies of water). Lots of room for adults to settle into the comfortable seating. The Volvo 380 has plenty of tourque. There is no dealer for 1000 miles of me and I still get people saying they want first offer if I ever go to sell it. It feels like there is more room in the bow of the SD, but i was only in the R5 once and that was in the showroom.
I do some work for my buddys Marine shop that rep other brands. We looked at a Sea Ray 270 Sun Deck, a Monterey 268 SS, and the 26 SD. The Cobalt had a better layout( especially the bow), higher freeboard, and more power.

I think you'd be safe with either model, but you should take a look at the used pricing of each model at your dealer to get the best idea of the market in your area.
2014 26 SD
6.0L 380 Volvo
"STRAIT SHOTS"
Bear
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Bear »

We have a 24SD and I agree with you that there doesn’t seem to be much chat about the SD series in general. Very rarely do you ever see one which actually appeals to me.
I love the added width in the bow and the ride is great.
My thoughts are that the reason they aren’t as popular as the R series is because they don’t have that traditional Cobalt look from the front. Those beautiful docking lights are replaced with a strip of leds. Just enough different to throw some people off.
The Sea Ray sport decks are extremely popular. Maybe that’s the answer??
If you find one that you like and it fits your needs then I say jump on it! After all it is a Cobalt, you can’t go wrong!!
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

SD boats are more about outboard/salt. The hull was the original design for the cobalt version of a deck boat which was discontinued, and now reused as Cobalt’s 26’ outboard.
Cobalt’s bread and butter have been lake boats which makes stern drive models more popular than outboards which is why you may not see the same amount of chatter on this site. We are mostly lake boaters. That is for the exception of BB who boats on the nations largest mud puddle.🤣

But...Times are a changin'
If I were looking ahead, I would look at the growing popularity of outboard boats, and my guess is that the current 26' hull will be discontinued very soon and will be replaced by an all new hull with various sizes.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Dropped Anchor
Captain
Captain

Post by Dropped Anchor »

Saw one this weekend. Looks like a great boat. Very spacious bow as well.
2019 CS22
240 DP

Lake Martin, AL
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

Tuscany wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:25 am SD boats are more about outboard/salt. The hull was the original design for the cobalt version of a deck boat which was discontinued, and now reused as Cobalt’s 26’ outboard.
Cobalt’s bread and butter have been lake boats which makes stern drive models more popular than outboards which is why you may not see the same amount of chatter on this site. We are mostly lake boaters. That is for the exception of BB who boats on the nations largest mud puddle.🤣

But...Times are a changin'
If I were looking ahead, I would look at the growing popularity of outboard boats, and my guess is that the current 26' hull will be discontinued very soon and will be replaced by an all new hull with various sizes.
HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :lol:
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
no_rulz25
Captain
Captain

Post by no_rulz25 »

I also have a 24SD and love the layout. The bow is very roomy and I love that you can access the boat from the rear swim platform or the ladder from the bow. You will rarely see another SD on the water and I like that, they're different looking than the traditional hulls.
2013 24SD
Volvo Penta 300
"Nautical Nonsense"
willyswagon
Captain
Captain

Post by willyswagon »

As you look at the totally practical bow, remember Huey Lewis and the News said it best....

"It's Hip to Be Square"!!
2014 26 SD
6.0L 380 Volvo
"STRAIT SHOTS"
cmchild
Ensign
Ensign

Post by cmchild »

Well, maybe I should change the tag line. Just so you know how much Cobalt coolaid I’ve been drinking, i think I’m going to pull the trigger on an R7... wish me luck...looking forward to joining the crowd.
willyswagon
Captain
Captain

Post by willyswagon »

cmchild wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:34 pm Well, maybe I should change the tag line. Just so you know how much Cobalt coolaid I’ve been drinking, i think I’m going to pull the trigger on an R7... wish me luck...looking forward to joining the crowd.
Kool-Aid is good!
2014 26 SD
6.0L 380 Volvo
"STRAIT SHOTS"
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Krob1114 »

We were looking to buy late model 24SD. Each one sold before we could see it. That tells me people wanted it. So few are on the market, I'm guessing owners love them...after all, it's a Cobalt.
2019 Cobalt R3 @ Greers Ferry Lake, AR
Home in Hernando, MS
no_rulz25
Captain
Captain

Post by no_rulz25 »

Krob1114 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:17 am We were looking to buy late model 24SD. Each one sold before we could see it. That tells me people wanted it. So few are on the market, I'm guessing owners love them...after all, it's a Cobalt.
Hope it works out. It'll be nice having another SD on the forum.
2013 24SD
Volvo Penta 300
"Nautical Nonsense"
willyswagon
Captain
Captain

Post by willyswagon »

Krob1114 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:17 am We were looking to buy late model 24SD. Each one sold before we could see it. That tells me people wanted it. So few are on the market, I'm guessing owners love them...after all, it's a Cobalt.

Ours was at the dealership for 15 min when we drove in a saw it. It was still hooked up to the truck that picked it up on trade. The rest is history.
2014 26 SD
6.0L 380 Volvo
"STRAIT SHOTS"