Cobalt 25 SC

(23SC, 25SC, 30SC, 24SD, 26SD)
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Cobalt 25 SC

Post by AsLan7 »

Iriedon wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:06 am Bill, I am having the same issue with the bow filler cushion, did the repair work performed fix it. I agree my older cobalt had a lip to slide the filler cushion and a push lock.
Love the OB for saltwater so much better than an IO in regards to maintenance.
Hey IrD. Welcome to the Cobaltchat forum. Glad you found us as well.

Any pics of your OB? We don’t have too many on the site. It would be cool to have a few more.

Even a cushion pic or general boat pic of yours would be awesome.

Again, welcome aboard mate!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
billchips
Ensign
Ensign

Post by billchips »

Hi, Here is a photo of my 2019 Cobalt SC 25. Heavily optioned boat. Love it except the issues we are having with the top, as well as the bow cushions falling to the deck as we drive.
Thanks, Bill
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

That's very sharp Bill. So why did you go with merc over Yamaha? Don't get me wrong I'm a Merc guy. How does it perform?
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
billchips
Ensign
Ensign

Post by billchips »

We saw the boat as the dealer displayed it at the Bonita Springs Boat Show. The Merc 300Hp , Verado was on the boat. It was the new 8-cyl. model which suppose to get around 20% better Gallon Per Hr. usage. Also they told us it did not need service until 100 hours, where the 300 Yam. needed it's first service at 20 hours. Since it only has about 25 hours, I have not pushed it, but suppose to do around 50mph. We loved the look, and we were looking for a boat to trailer from Florida to the NH lake and then back again in the fall. We had a 2007 SeaRay 270 SLX I/O and wanted to go outboard as it seems to be on every boat in SW Florida.
I will say, Cobalt is not shy on their option prices. This one stickered for $145,5K.
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Very cool. How everything gets worked out. It seems like you really enjoy it otherwise. How's it work out for the family. I don't think any manufacturer are light on their prices right now actually.
I guess even in 2003 my Bimini sits pretty level on the tower and it holds water. I guess unless you lean it towards the rear or the frt then the water would always drip on someone if you're caught in the rain. I remember getting under mine after a rain shower and pushing the water off of it.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

billchips wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:47 pm Hi, Here is a photo of my 2019 Cobalt SC 25. Heavily optioned boat. Love it except the issues we are having with the top, as well as the bow cushions falling to the deck as we drive.
Thanks, Bill
Nice shot bc! Great color combo too. 8-)
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
billchips
Ensign
Ensign

Post by billchips »

Hello to all, I just seem to be short of time to look at this site and participate. Not really, just getting older and forget to do it.....

I wanted to mention that my 2019 25 SC is now back in Florida with me after having it up north for the summer on Lake Winnipesaukee. My problems still exist. For those of you that may not be aware of the issues I'm experiencing with this over priced boat, I'll list them. I have the boat back at the selling dealer so they can see just what they plan to do. I, along with the dealer, have been in contact with Cobalt. Hopefully they will step up and figure out something. My 2 big problems are as follows. I have the large tower roof with the slide out rear sunshade. After a rain the Sunbrella collects water and has now stretched out the canvas and needs replacing. I have to take a push broom, and lift up from the underside of the top to dump off about 10 gallons of rain water. Of course I get soaked in doing this each time. Last week after talking to a factory person, ( customer service mgr) he told me they were going to make a little seal that will go around the 6" running light and that should stop the build up of water. REALLY!!!! He has no clue as to what I'm describing I guess. Something else the engineers never thought of. The rear canvas has one side where a pice of plastic is sewed to the fabric and is suppose to slide into a slot. Problem is the plastic is the same size as the slot. After the factory powder coated the tower, the slot became a lot smaller. I had to lube the plastic, lube the slot with Vaseoline, use visegrips on the plastic and hammer the side of the visegrips to get the plastic to slide in about 1/2" at a time. The dealer, The Boat House of Cape Coral Florida has the boat now and looking into what type of repair or redesign needs to happen to cure this problem.
The other major problem is the bow filler cushions continue to fall to the floor while underway. With someone on them or without. It appears the plastic base is too short and does not sit on any moulded fiberglass sill. The dealer installed screwed on little pieces of the plastic, but the problem still exist.
Following are a list of other issues.
** Seagrass type "carpets" had the foam backing cracked form day one. Need to replace them all.
^^ The optional cockpit light controller never worked from day one.
** Rear Stereo controller mounted near the stern had already been replaced as it had standing water inside the unit.
** Mini light mounted on tower had stopped working about a month out.
** Drains mounted in floor do not drain. I washed the deck when the boat was about one week old, and the water just sits there. It took over one hour for it to disappear. *** We caught a 4 ft wave after a large cruisers wake went buy and we took it direct over the bow as we were in a no wake zone on the lake. 4" of water on the deck, everbody was soaked, floating items everywhere on the deck, and it took about 15 minutes of driving before the deck water finally went out of the drains. Why, who knows. Maybe they bent the drain lines during assembly.
I must say, this boat stickered for a touch over $145K with the $35+K of options...... Sorry I ever bought it. After a recent retirement this was my first and only new boat after some 45 years of boating. Not what I expected from a Cobalt.
Maybe this story can help others BEFORE they consider this model Cobalt.
Happy and Safe boating, Bill
AlexV
Commander
Commander

Post by AlexV »

billchips wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:04 pm Hello to all, I just seem to be short of time to look at this site and participate. Not really, just getting older and forget to do it.....

I wanted to mention that my 2019 25 SC is now back in Florida with me after having it up north for the summer on Lake Winnipesaukee. My problems still exist. For those of you that may not be aware of the issues I'm experiencing with this over priced boat, I'll list them. I have the boat back at the selling dealer so they can see just what they plan to do. I, along with the dealer, have been in contact with Cobalt. Hopefully they will step up and figure out something. My 2 big problems are as follows. I have the large tower roof with the slide out rear sunshade. After a rain the Sunbrella collects water and has now stretched out the canvas and needs replacing. I have to take a push broom, and lift up from the underside of the top to dump off about 10 gallons of rain water. Of course I get soaked in doing this each time. Last week after talking to a factory person, ( customer service mgr) he told me they were going to make a little seal that will go around the 6" running light and that should stop the build up of water. REALLY!!!! He has no clue as to what I'm describing I guess. Something else the engineers never thought of. The rear canvas has one side where a pice of plastic is sewed to the fabric and is suppose to slide into a slot. Problem is the plastic is the same size as the slot. After the factory powder coated the tower, the slot became a lot smaller. I had to lube the plastic, lube the slot with Vaseoline, use visegrips on the plastic and hammer the side of the visegrips to get the plastic to slide in about 1/2" at a time. The dealer, The Boat House of Cape Coral Florida has the boat now and looking into what type of repair or redesign needs to happen to cure this problem.
The other major problem is the bow filler cushions continue to fall to the floor while underway. With someone on them or without. It appears the plastic base is too short and does not sit on any moulded fiberglass sill. The dealer installed screwed on little pieces of the plastic, but the problem still exist.
** Seagrass type "carpets" had the foam backing cracked form day one. Need to replace them all.
** Rear Stereo controller mounted near the stern had already been replaced as it had standing water inside the unit.
** Drains mounted in floor do not drain. I washed the deck when the boat was about one week old, and the water just sits there. It took over one hour for it to disappear. *** We caught a 4 ft wave after a large cruisers wake went buy and we took it direct over the bow as we were in a no wake zone on the lake. 4" of water on the deck, everbody was soaked, floating items everywhere on the deck, and it took about 15 minutes of driving before the deck water finally went out of the drains. Why, who knows. Maybe they bent the drain lines during assembly.
I must say, this boat stickered for a touch over $145K with the $35+K of options...... Sorry I ever bought it. After a recent retirement this was my first and only new boat after some 45 years of boating. Not what I expected from a Cobalt.
Bill I put a deposit down on a 25SC at the boat show. Same tower with all the options. I have a sea trial set for next week in Cape Coral. Are they helping with your problems? I'm a little worried now about going through with the purchase now. Its A lot of money for sure.
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I would just make notes of his issues and double check them on the boat you are looking at. The tower I can't see them Changing anything on that.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
billchips
Ensign
Ensign

Post by billchips »

AlexV wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:51 pm
billchips wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:04 pm Hello to all, I just seem to be short of time to look at this site and participate. Not really, just getting older and forget to do it.....

Bill I put a deposit down on a 25SC at the boat show. Same tower with all the options. I have a sea trial set for next week in Cape Coral. Are they helping with your problems? I'm a little worried now about going through with the purchase now. Its A lot of money for sure.
Hi Alex, Just seeing your message today. I assume you are dealing with The Boat House of Cape Coral? If so, they are great people to deal with and all about customer satisfaction. They got and replaced the new Seagrass floor mats, replaced the rear stereo controller. Replaced the cockpit light controller. As far as the drains not draining, they say Cobalt says there is nothing that can be done to improve that issue.
The Boat House staff and I have been in constant communication with the factory rep at Cobalt. The factory told me just the other day they came up with a "fix" for the water collecting on the main top, and something is being sent to The Boat House for them to install for me. They just say it's some type of a support system to not allow water to collect on the main top. I'm told they may have installed "drain grommets" into the small slide out rear sunshade in case water does seep thru the main top into the smaller one when it's not extended out.
I'm in Cape Coral and if you would like to connect feel free to let me know.
Bill
AlexV
Commander
Commander

Post by AlexV »

billchips wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:23 am
AlexV wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:51 pm

Hi Alex, Just seeing your message today. I assume you are dealing with The Boat House of Cape Coral? If so, they are great people to deal with and all about customer satisfaction. They got and replaced the new Seagrass floor mats, replaced the rear stereo controller. Replaced the cockpit light controller. As far as the drains not draining, they say Cobalt says there is nothing that can be done to improve that issue.
The Boat House staff and I have been in constant communication with the factory rep at Cobalt. The factory told me just the other day they came up with a "fix" for the water collecting on the main top, and something is being sent to The Boat House for them to install for me. They just say it's some type of a support system to not allow water to collect on the main top. I'm told they may have installed "drain grommets" into the small slide out rear sunshade in case water does seep thru the main top into the smaller one when it's not extended out.
I'm in Cape Coral and if you would like to connect feel free to let me know.
Bill
Thank you Bill. my salesman is Tim Kendell at the Boat house in Cape Coral. He went out yesterday and measured an unmarked bridge up in the NW I need to get under to get home. Tim has it marked at 9'.0 I thought that was very nice of him to go out and do that while I'm in NJ for Thanksgiving You bought a beautiful color. Glad to hear the Boat House stepped up. That makes me feel better. I was stuck between a Crownline and a Cobalt. Than I went to the boat show and compared them side by side. The Cobalt just seemed better built. Everything was much heaver duty on the Cobalt. The Crownline had a lot of plastic and even the head compartment door felt very thin. The Cobalt head compartment door closed like a vault. The Vinyl on the dash and the seats on the Cobalt felt superior to Crownline. Here's the link to the one I have a deposit on. https://www.boathouseh2o.com/inventory/ ... balt-25-sc
billchips
Ensign
Ensign

Post by billchips »

I dealt with a gal named Ana. She, along with Josh in the Service Dept. all have been good. Looks like we both have similar options. My 2019 stickered for $143K with what it had, but I have the 300HP new Mercury V8 Verado.
You may have to unscrew the 6" light on top of the tower to be sure you have clearance. I trailer my boat from Florida back to NH and I use a overall height of 11'-6" to feel safe on the overall height when sitting on my trailer. If you need to buy a trailer, I'd highly recommend LoadMaster Trailers in Tampa. I bought direct from them, as they will sell direct. Bought the 8900lb model with electric brakes . Tows Great. Paid about $7k or a little under with all options I put on it.
Bill
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

On let's get that 300 Yamaha broke in and let's line these boats up and see which one is faster. We need to know 😂😂
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
AlexV
Commander
Commander

Post by AlexV »

billchips wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:20 am I dealt with a gal named Ana. She, along with Josh in the Service Dept. all have been good. Looks like we both have similar options. My 2019 stickered for $143K with what it had, but I have the 300HP new Mercury V8 Verado.
You may have to unscrew the 6" light on top of the tower to be sure you have clearance. I trailer my boat from Florida back to NH and I use a overall height of 11'-6" to feel safe on the overall height when sitting on my trailer. If you need to buy a trailer, I'd highly recommend LoadMaster Trailers in Tampa. I bought direct from them, as they will sell direct. Bought the 8900lb model with electric brakes . Tows Great. Paid about $7k or a little under with all options I put on it.
Bill
I thought about bringing it up to NJ for the summer but I don't have a boat lift up here and I would hate to paint the bottom. We plan on moving down to the Cape full time in a few more years. Have you had any issues with going under any of the bridges around the cape? I see most are in the 8'5" range and up. My home is located on the top of the NW Spreader. I have 1 bridge at Calossa Pkwy to get under that's 9'0 at high tide. I saw on the Cobalt web page that put the specs at 8'1 height with the tower. Does the light on top of the tower come off easy? When I go to sea trial I'm going to ask about the factory mod fix for the Tower. Also on the windless can it also be operated from the front compartment? I forgot to look. I know I saw one switch for it at the helm. Sorry for all the questions
billchips
Ensign
Ensign

Post by billchips »

I have direct access ( no bridges) which is nice. I'm in the SE cape near the Veterans Bridge. I have not gone under and C/C bridges yet. The light just unscrews and would hang on it's wire. I know that 8'-1" is correct.
No issues with any questions. We are spending big bucks for these boats. I drove the 270 SDX SeaRay before buying the Cobalt. The Cobalt was superior in it's ride quality. This comes from someone who has owned about 5 SeaRays in my days!!
The one thing I would say is to test drive before you finalize. I have the 300HP and goes along good. My concern may be the 250HP could be too little in the power department. Bill