White Vinyl Discoloration / Stain?

IMALLYNN
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

White Vinyl Discoloration / Stain?

Post by IMALLYNN »

I just recently found this site while looking for stereo info on my 2013 R5. Found what I was looking for, which is a whole other story I'll post later. I bought my boat new in June of 2013. Typically, it's just my wife and I on the boat, with our young adult kids once in a while. That said, the boat is always pretty clean. I decided to pull it out yesterday and give it a good detail.

I scrubbed the interior vinyl with Star Brite vinyl cleaner with a soft bristle brush, followed by mild soap and water. While the boat was relatively clean to begin with, the interior really popped after cleaning. Literally looked better than when we bought it new. Once completely dry, I applied a light coat of Star Brite vinyl protectant and that's when the proverbial crap hit the fan. My white vinyl turned brownish is areas that folks usually sit at. I'm sure it's related to spray on sunscreen (never again on my boats!) and the protectant must have had a reaction to residue, I suppose.

I tried cleaning it off and it's not coming off. Anybody else ever had this happened? Any tips for solution? It's much worse than the picture shows. Looks like my seats got a spray tan!

Steve
Vestavia Hills, AL
2013 R5 VP 380
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: White Vinyl Discoloration / Stain?

Post by Big Block Power »

Oh yea that's sunscreen spray. Yes it reacted with it. I had good luck with bio kleen amazing cleaner and conditioner. The cleaner has little bacteria monsters in it. Spray it on and let the boat sit in the sun for at least 24 hours and cross your fingers. I had blueberry bird poop stain mine and blue new towel stain mine and it came out.
Otherwise call your dealer and order new viynl before you can't get it anymore. 7 year rule.

Oh and welcome and we like pictures but not that kind on your first post. Look forward to seeing you and your boat in the new member section.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
TruckerTim
Commander
Commander

Post by TruckerTim »

Ok, so now the question is is it all sunscreen that can stain the vinyl or just some of the spray on type? Also, is this unique to Cobalt vinyl?? Wife, kids then grand kids used spry type for the 13 years I had my Malibu and never had any staining.
2019 R7
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

No it can happen to any boat manufacturer. I'm sure each brand is diff too. From what I know only spray on. Skiingstrongmsn is our local chemist on here so we will have to see if he sees this. He kind of makes this stuff. It's not used on my boat or within 100 feet of it.
Last edited by Big Block Power on Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
NautiGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by NautiGirl »

Stupid spray sunscreen gets on everything except your skin! Our friend this weekend used it and was RED...she said I sprayed myself down. Ummm....hate to tell ya...you missed!
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
Currently Not a Boat Owner
CANDIED RED 2007 222 320hp 6.2L - Sold
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
Driller
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Driller »

Banned on my boat. No spray on.
2011 242 Volvo Penta 8.1 Gi
"DIGGIN' IT"
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

Me too. If they use sunscreen they have to put it on before we leave the house. Banned from the boat.
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Post by cmattj »

The more the vinyl is kept moisturized .. the less prone it will be to absorbing other oils and stains.
I too won’t allow spraying lotion once underway ( Hey put a shirt on🤣🤣)
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON
mtwbldr
Commander
Commander

Post by mtwbldr »

Im interested if theres a certain spray sunscreen that causes this? Ive used spray sunscreen since we first got the boat in 2011 and have yet to have any staining on the seats due to using it. While I encourage and enforce not spraying standing in the middle of the boat, throughout the day people need to re apply to which I tell them to use the swim platform.
I guess I can chalk up my no staining to the use of Vinyl Sauce and Condition Sauce, which is amazing stuff. My seats still look the same as they did in 2011!
‘11 A25
Merc 8.2 mag 380HP
Bravo III
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

mtwbldr wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:57 am Im interested if theres a certain spray sunscreen that causes this? Ive used spray sunscreen since we first got the boat in 2011 and have yet to have any staining on the seats due to using it. While I encourage and enforce not spraying standing in the middle of the boat, throughout the day people need to re apply to which I tell them to use the swim platform.
I guess I can chalk up my no staining to the use of Vinyl Sauce and Condition Sauce, which is amazing stuff. My seats still look the same as they did in 2011!
Boat Bling is awesome.

Spray on will also eat your sunglasses and glass. Banned.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

liquid wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:47 am
mtwbldr wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:57 am Im interested if theres a certain spray sunscreen that causes this? Ive used spray sunscreen since we first got the boat in 2011 and have yet to have any staining on the seats due to using it. While I encourage and enforce not spraying standing in the middle of the boat, throughout the day people need to re apply to which I tell them to use the swim platform.
Boat Bling is awesome.

Spray on will also eat your sunglasses and glass. Banned.
And it will stain the fiberglass with little orange spots. That stuff is definitely of the devil...
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
gdane
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by gdane »

Just a heads up the Cobalt factory uses scrubbing bubbles, magic eraser pads and Vinyl sauce
2016 R7
Volvo 380
" ONE MORE DAY II"
"Liquid Lounge" on
Table Rock Lake
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

gdane wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:39 pm Just a heads up the Cobalt factory uses scrubbing bubbles, magic eraser pads and Vinyl sauce
Yup. Rick was all in on Scrubbing Bubbles.

They used to use 303 but I def snapped a picture of some Sauce on the factory tour.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
mtwbldr
Commander
Commander

Post by mtwbldr »

hmm I guess I'm lucky then? Glass is still clear (again no spraying on the boat only the swim platform) and fiberglass clean as well. Scrubbing bubbles is part of my annual deep interior clean and its amazing the shine it brings out every year.
‘11 A25
Merc 8.2 mag 380HP
Bravo III
gdane
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by gdane »

Don't know and prolly don't want to know what is in those magic eraser pads but they sure work !
2016 R7
Volvo 380
" ONE MORE DAY II"
"Liquid Lounge" on
Table Rock Lake