How do you all tie your swim pad to the boat when towing or under power?

JTinMO
Captain
Captain

How do you all tie your swim pad to the boat when towing or under power?

Post by JTinMO »

We have a new swim pad (sams club Memorial Day special), and we haven’t taken it out yet. I’m wondering what you all use to tie the big bastard to your boat when trailering it to the lake or once on the lake simply going to your cove out spot.

The mat came with a bungee cable with carabiner clips but not sure I should trust it on the interstate.

What’s the best solution here?
2010 Cobalt 232 8.1Gi
tgrace98
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: How do you all tie your swim pad to the boat when towing or under power?

Post by tgrace98 »

I have an aqua stack mat and I tie it to the swim platform for when I’m driving the boat can’t talk about towing the boat with it because mine is kept in a slip. But I just use 2 bungee cables and the carabeeners like what you have and it doesn’t move in the slightest bit. Even doing 50mph.
2019 Cobalt R7 VP 6.2 380hp
“Smooth Operator”

Lake St. Louis, MO
Table Rock Lake
akorcovelos
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by akorcovelos »

If I had to tow it on the highway I’d put it in the boat and put the cover on.
1996 252 Whipple tuned 454 Magnum MPI, 496 exhaust, Corsa Captains Call, B3 w/Simrek drive shower.
‘Direct Deposit Too
Antioch, IL
Fox Chain O' Lakes
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Post by cmattj »

Maybe inside when towing? We strap out to the pull handles on out model using the Velcro strap only. No issues
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON
JTinMO
Captain
Captain

Post by JTinMO »

cmattj wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:18 pm Maybe inside when towing? We strap out to the pull handles on out model using the Velcro strap only. No issues
Cmatt - That's one of the better setups I've seen for tying it down. Most are some convoluted rope setup.

I've got a 3 hr tow each way in 1.5 weeks. It will ride inside the boat under cover for that trip. More so trying to figure out how to strap it to the rear swim deck for the short 30 minute trips to the local lake when I don't trailer it covered. I obsess over these things, that's my way of life.
2010 Cobalt 232 8.1Gi
sailor55330
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by sailor55330 »

I would agree when towing, in the boat, under the cover. I don't have a mat, but have carried my friends. Roll it up, velcro around the roll to keep it rolled. It rests on the swim platform then run a line through the mat (in the middle tunnel formed from rolling) from one side to the other and tie it off on the rear cleats. It holds tight and haven't had an issue. Only way it breaks loose is either a bad cleat hitch, the cleats pull out or the mat itself explodes.
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

tgrace98 wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:47 pm I have an aqua stack mat and I tie it to the swim platform for when I’m driving the boat can’t talk about towing the boat with it because mine is kept in a slip. But I just use 2 bungee cables and the carabeeners like what you have and it doesn’t move in the slightest bit. Even doing 50mph.
+1

Can’t really see it here but two caribeeners clip to the swim platform railing and pull handles.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)