Wendy finally made up her mind..

(non-boating; no politics!)
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Wendy finally made up her mind..

Post by Tuscany »

Does your wife not know what she wants to drive?
Shopping for months?
HATES car shopping with a passion?
So we’re off to Buffalo to pick up my daughter at the airport, and we get the call that she’s delayed for 2 hours. What to do..🤔.

My wife has been all over the place when it came to replacing the Yukon. She wants to downsize, but she doesn’t. She wants something fun/sporty but still wants to be able to carry stuff. We narrowed it down to either a s#itbox XT5 or a Nautalis which I might be able to stomach with some Rolaids (I’m a Ford guy)..
Knowing I’ll hate something that small, she tried out a 2020 Explorer which is a very VERY nice vehicle. Almost perfect except for that small engine buzz. She thinks she wants it.. asks me what I think... we’ve got about a half hour left to burn and I have to be careful to let her make up her own mind... I asked my friend/salesman to fire up that Expedition just to make sure.. she sits in it, and before we leave, she asks “who am I kidding here”, let’s get this...you sure? Yep, this is it.👏🏻🍻
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Tuscany on Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:26 am, edited 4 times in total.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Wendy finally made up her mind..

Post by Big Block Power »

Nice. Congrats I think 🤔
The good thing is the buzz will never go away. Welcome to direct fuel injection pump noise.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Try one BB. Take a shot to the dark side...🤣.
There is a lot more 2nd/3rd seat leg room than in a GM Tahoe/Yukon. Max will thank you and you can thank me later..
It has a V-6, but makes 400/480.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Post by cmattj »

Congrats ! I’m glad you went with the larger Expedition.(Platinum Edition whaaaat?!?!) You... uhhhhh The wifey will enjoy staying with something comparable to the Yukon. ( see how I carefully plugged GM :lol: )
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Yes, looks like a perfect vehicle for you and Wendy,T. 👌🏻 Now put a silver pin stripe down the side and fill those cup holders while you enjoy your new found Ford. ‘Merica. 🇺🇸
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Tuscany wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:19 am Try one BB. Take a shot to the dark side...🤣.
There is a lot more 2nd/3rd seat leg room than in a GM Tahoe/Yukon. Max will thank you and you can thank me later..
It has a V-6, but makes 400/480.
I'm in the dark side now and it's not good. Wife misses the suburban room. Did I say I hear that every time I get in it. Then I floor it and I get a smile on my face till next time 😁
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
kas232ca
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by kas232ca »

Very nice! I still miss our 1999 Expedition. Wish I had kept it for the kids instead of trading it in for the F-250.

The new Explorer looks really nice also.
2006 Cobalt 232 8.1 420hp.
Lake Havasu, AZ
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

I think she’s thrilled with the truck. The ride difference between this and the Denali is very noticeable. In all fairness, the Denali was 4 years old with 46K, and was a great truck. Tons of power and fun to drive.

The Explorer Plat was very nice, but IMO it did have a lot of annoying interior engine noise where the Expedition has very little. It had a large upright tablet on the dash similar to the new Navigator, which seems to be the next styling cue. I found it weird to use going down the road. I kind of like fixed buttons that don’t require special attention for an app change for each mode.
Isn’t there enough distracted driving using touch screens? Let’s add more distraction, shall we.🥴
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

Congratulations Tuscany! My daughter just bought an Explorer and it seems like a nice vehicle, but I've only walked around and looked at it. And I never liked the body style of the old Expeditions, but these new ones they have now are pretty Sharp!
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

The old ones were definitely ugly. 😝

Never really considered an Expedition for some reason. I didn’t think she would want another big truck, but I’m glad we looked and they had the right one in stock.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
NautiGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by NautiGirl »

Tuscany wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:57 pm The old ones were definitely ugly. 😝

Never really considered an Expedition for some reason. I didn’t think she would want another big truck, but I’m glad we looked and they had the right one in stock.
Congrats! Let me know how the the EcoBoost handles the R7!
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
CANDIED RED 2007 222 320hp 6.2L - Sold
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Sorry Nauti, I doubt we will ever use it to tow the boat. My friend tows his 31’ Fastech with one and says it tows very well.

I haven’t driven it much, but with the 10 speed, it’s super smooth and very responsive. The truck feels light to the gas pedal, which It’s not, and also feels like everything the 6.2L GM had, which was a LOT, but we will see when we take it on a road trip through the PA mountains.
The difference I noticed immediately was the room. Definitely more leg room all around.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
NautiGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by NautiGirl »

Tuscany wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:59 pm Sorry Nauti, I doubt we will ever use it to tow the boat.

I haven’t driven it much, but with the 10 speed, it’s super smooth and very responsive. The truck feels super light, also feels like everything the 6.2L GM had, which was a LOT, but we will see when we take it on a road trip through the PA mountains.
The difference I noticed immediately was the room. Definitely more leg room all around.
I'm sure you know, but I was joking about putting the R7 behind it. The EcoBoost would tow it, but the rear suspension would be on the ground with that much tongue weight.

I think you will be please with how it handles the mountains. The Gen II 3.5 V6 and the 10 speed is an awesome combo. The truck will actually boost quite a bit before downshifting, but even when it does down shift its nothing dramatic. Buddy has one with the six speed, it sits at 2,100RPM at 80mph and it takes a pretty good hill to make it leave 6th gear.

The only negative I have heard is that the 10 speed can sometimes can shift a bit hard when cold, I think there was a TSB for it in the F150 and if I am not mistaken its the same transmission in the Expedition so double check that. Some people also say the 10 speed skips lower gears quite a bit and its annoying. Like 1st to 3rd shifts when you are not accelerating hard. You most likely wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't said anything lol.

Enjoy the new car and congrats. Oh and don't know if you are an extended warranty guy, I am not, but I got one on the F150 and have used it three times so far. If you do buy one know that any Ford dealership can sell them even if they did not sell you the car new. Creates some pretty good competition on them. There are several dealerships that will sell them online for a really good price. PM me if you want details.
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
CANDIED RED 2007 222 320hp 6.2L - Sold
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

NautiGirl wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:14 pm
Tuscany wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:59 pm Sorry Nauti, I doubt we will ever use it to tow the boat.

I haven’t driven it much, but with the 10 speed, it’s super smooth and very responsive. The truck feels super light, also feels like everything the 6.2L GM had, which was a LOT, but we will see when we take it on a road trip through the PA mountains.
I'm sure you know, but I was joking about putting the R7 behind it. The EcoBoost would tow it, but the rear suspension would be on the ground with that much tongue weight.

I think you will be please with how it handles the mountains. The Gen II 3.5 V6 and the 10 speed is an awesome combo. The truck will actually boost quite a bit before downshifting, but even when it does down shift its nothing dramatic. Buddy has one with the six speed, it sits at 2,100RPM at 80mph and it takes a pretty good hill to make it leave 6th gear.

The only negative I have heard is that the 10 speed can sometimes can shift a bit hard when cold, I think there was a TSB for it in the F150 and if I am not mistaken its the same transmission in the Expedition so double check that. Some people also say the 10 speed skips lower gears quite a bit and its annoying. Like 1st to 3rd shifts when you are not accelerating hard. You most likely wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't said anything lol.

Enjoy the new car and congrats. Oh and don't know if you are an extended warranty guy, I am not, but I got one on the F150 and have used it three times so far. If you do buy one know that any Ford dealership can sell them even if they did not sell you the car new. Creates some pretty good competition on them. There are several dealerships that will sell them online for a really good price. PM me if you want details.
Nauti, We trade like every 3-4 years and we’re low mileage. I’ve never bought one and really never had an issue out of warranty.
I haven’t noticed gear kips. Seems to shift like butter. I know somewhere in the settings it will show what gear it’s in, so I’ll check that out.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

Filthy truck. Congrats Mrs. T. I doubt Mrs. Liquid will ever drive anything smaller than a Suburban from now on.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL