Ski Pylon on 2019 R3

(R3, R5, R7, R30, R35)
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Ski Pylon on 2019 R3

Post by Krob1114 »

We're not on the lake for this weekend and next weekend.
Weather, football, and family got in the way.
I'm looking to try something and meant to bring the ski pylon home but forgot.
Anyone know the thread diameter and type of threads?
2019 Cobalt R3 @ Greers Ferry Lake, AR
Home in Hernando, MS
Driller
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Ski Pylon on 2019 R3

Post by Driller »

PM Slideruler. I believe he has the info.
2011 242 Volvo Penta 8.1 Gi
"DIGGIN' IT"
Norris_Boating
Captain
Captain

Post by Norris_Boating »

Here is some info/a pole holder you can buy.
https://www.slideruleracing.com/Shop/rs ... pter/#wbs1

Here is a thread with pics/measurements
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=1399&start=135
2016 220
2019 R7 Surf
White and Red V8-380CE EVC DP (FWD) - 380 hp
slideruleracer
Captain
Captain

Post by slideruleracer »

Hey folks, just a heads up. At the moment, I am no longer selling the umbrella adapters. I was made aware of a patent that it appears I may have been infringing upon so I have discontinued all sales of umbrella adapters. I am in talks with the patent owner (he was the one who made me aware of it) but it only just started. Sorry I can't help.
2004 250
502 Gxi
Order your Umbrella Adapters, no drill TigTech flagpole kits and seat repair kits from:
http://www.slideruleracing.com
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Post by cmattj »

slideruleracer wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:51 am Hey folks, just a heads up. At the moment, I am no longer selling the umbrella adapters. I was made aware of a patent that it appears I may have been infringing upon so I have discontinued all sales of umbrella adapters. I am in talks with the patent owner (he was the one who made me aware of it) but it only just started. Sorry I can't help.
Just saw you removed all versions from your site. Sorry to hear about the hiccup but I’m sure your getting resolved.
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON
ajcampen
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ajcampen »

I was wondering when someone was going to call on this. Thought it would be cobalt. Sorry to hear about it
2016 R7 VP 380
2014 220S Merc 5.0L (sold)
Columbus, OH
Chautauqua, NY
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

ajcampen wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:49 am I was wondering when someone was going to call on this. Thought it would be cobalt. Sorry to hear about it
It's the internet. Everything out there is only 1 click away.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Big Block Power wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:22 pm
ajcampen wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:49 am I was wondering when someone was going to call on this. Thought it would be cobalt. Sorry to hear about it
It's the internet. Everything out there is only 1 click away.
I don’t know, I think it’s Malibu’s fault. ;)
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
slideruleracer
Captain
Captain

Post by slideruleracer »

Just in case people find this thread in the future, I figured I'd update it to say that we are back in business for umbrella adapters as previously mentioned elsewhere.

Carry on. ;-)
2004 250
502 Gxi
Order your Umbrella Adapters, no drill TigTech flagpole kits and seat repair kits from:
ajcampen
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ajcampen »

slideruleracer wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:30 pm Just in case people find this thread in the future, I figured I'd update it to say that we are back in business for umbrella adapters as previously mentioned elsewhere.

Carry on. ;-)
since we have been with you since the beginning on your boat build and they your foray into this new venture....take us through it a little bit. After the cease letter from Cobalt, how did it go to convince them to let you mfg them for them? High level please.
2016 R7 VP 380
Columbus, OH
Chautauqua, NY
slideruleracer
Captain
Captain

Post by slideruleracer »

Well, Cobalt isn't the one with the patent. It's a fellow in TN who came up with the idea after buying his R7 and went ahead and patented the idea and then pitched it to Cobalt. Frankly, I was surprised that he was able to patent it, but I don't want to get into the merits of the patent here at all, please.

As it turned out, when he reached out to me and informed me of the patent (he called me directly after having one of his employees purchase one of my units - there was never a C&D letter), he was looking for a partner of sorts. He was disappointed in the lack of advertising that Cobalt was doing around trying to sell these and thought he could do better without them. It took a lot of going back and forth - because this umbrella side gig was always more about a fun thing for me to give back to the Cobalt community and pay for my boat gas. After 1 year in, I hadn't broken even with all the equipment and business setup expenses, so at first I told him that I would just bow out of the product line, but in the end we came up with some numbers and a process that I was willing to give a go.

Unfortunately, with COVID-19 impacting families' disposable income and the increased pricing to cover royalties, it's been a slow start, but we'll give it a shot. As of right now, he has told me that he has informed Cobalt that they no longer have rights to make and sell these, so I'm supposed to be the only 'official' outlet for the adapters.
2004 250
502 Gxi
ajcampen
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ajcampen »

slideruleracer wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:06 pm Well, Cobalt isn't the one with the patent. It's a fellow in TN who came up with the idea after buying his R7 and went ahead and patented the idea and then pitched it to Cobalt. Frankly, I was surprised that he was able to patent it, but I don't want to get into the merits of the patent here at all, please.

As it turned out, when he reached out to me and informed me of the patent (he called me directly after having one of his employees purchase one of my units - there was never a C&D letter), he was looking for a partner of sorts. He was disappointed in the lack of advertising that Cobalt was doing around trying to sell these and thought he could do better without them. It took a lot of going back and forth - because this umbrella side gig was always more about a fun thing for me to give back to the Cobalt community and pay for my boat gas. After 1 year in, I hadn't broken even with all the equipment and business setup expenses, so at first I told him that I would just bow out of the product line, but in the end we came up with some numbers and a process that I was willing to give a go.

Unfortunately, with COVID-19 impacting families' disposable income and the increased pricing to cover royalties, it's been a slow start, but we'll give it a shot. As of right now, he has told me that he has informed Cobalt that they no longer have rights to make and sell these, so I'm supposed to be the only 'official' outlet for the adapters.
Thanks for the story. That is way different that I though when you first informed us that you were shut down. You guys will have to start reaching out to dealers! it really iis a clever idea and I wonder if other boat mfg have the same twist ski pylon.
2016 R7 VP 380
Columbus, OH
Chautauqua, NY
slideruleracer
Captain
Captain

Post by slideruleracer »

I want to be clear - I was never 'shut down'. The way the patent was filed or written, for some reason it didn't come up in the search I did around boat umbrellas. Further, there were no patent markings on the units sold by Cobalt or in any packaging from the dealers, so by the way I understand patent guidelines, I wasn't in violation of anything so long as I didn't sell them after I knew about the patent - which I was perfectly fine with - and even in our initial discussion, he never asked me to stop selling these. I did that on my own to protect myself.
2004 250
502 Gxi
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Thanks slide. If we can help seek these for you will! Maybe John will make a sticky on here for you?
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
slideruleracer
Captain
Captain

Post by slideruleracer »

Thanks BB! I think my best advertising is just all you guys reminding folks of me when the topics come up. I believe my 'fan base' and adapter quality was why the patent owner reached out to me. Lately, I've been soooo busy that getting on here or on FB is a luxury... I have so little free time these days. I'm not complaining, mind you - I'm quite grateful to be working amidst the pandemic - but if folks here felt like pointing my website out when appropriate if I failed to notice the threads, I certainly wouldn't complain!
2004 250
502 Gxi