Anyone watching Undercover Billionaire?

(non-boating; no politics!)
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Anyone watching Undercover Billionaire?

Post by AsLan7 »

Season finale next week on Discovery Channel. The Erie PA scenes were the draw for me. Enjoyed his business advice throughout the series. 8-)

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Anyone watching Undercover Billionaire?

Post by cmattj »

I’ll have to catch up as that promo video was great!
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON
NautiGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by NautiGirl »

I will admit when I saw the previews I was excited. I wanted to like this show, the premise is great, but in the end it was just too obviously fake for me. I made it two or three episodes. I mean lets think about this for a few:

He is driving around a truck that gets 12 mpg and only puts $8 in gas one time in it?

Someone pays him $1,500 for tires that he "finds" on someone else's property?

He is able to purchase a 2005 Honda Civic for $700 and sell it a day later for $3,900? All he does is run it thru a car wash and vacuum it. That doesn't happen.

He gets an apartment lease with NO background check , NO credit check, NO rental history check, NO proof of stable income, NO assets (not even furniture), from someone already asking about stiffing them on the security deposit?

He is able to buy a house and obtain a construction loan, again /w no proof of income or assets?

All these people just agree to help him for free /w no promise of a salary?

I like that they are promoting the idea that you can start with very little and with hard work can be successful, but I feel the message is lost behind all the obvious lies.

He does give a few good business tips, but then again his investment firm filed for Chapter 11 a few weeks ago, so perhaps take them with a grain of salt.
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
Ebony Black 2017 R5 8.2 Merc Big Block
CANDIED RED 2007 222 320hp 6.2L - Sold
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

NautiGirl wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:13 pm I will admit when I saw the previews I was excited. I wanted to like this show, the premise is great, but in the end it was just too obviously fake for me. I made it two or three episodes. I mean lets think about this for a few:

He is driving around a truck that gets 12 mpg and only puts $8 in gas one time in it?

He is able to purchase a 2005 Honda Civic for $700 and sell it a day later for $3,900? All he does is run it thru a car wash and vacuum it. That doesn't happen.

He gets an apartment lease with NO background check , NO credit check, NO rental history check, NO proof of stable income, NO assets (not even furniture), from someone already asking about stiffing them on the security deposit?

He is able to buy a house and obtain a construction loan, again /w no proof of income or assets?

I like that they are promoting the idea that you can start with very little and with hard work can be successful, but I feel the message is lost behind all the obvious lies.

He does give a few good business tips, but then again his investment firm filed for Chapter 11 a few weeks ago, so perhaps take them with a grain of salt.
Couldn’t agree more. In fact Stearns may not even be a Billionaire. Although to be fair, his company was sold to Blackstone for probably under 500 million with Glenn keeping a 29% stake before it filed for bankruptcy after the Feds raised rates.

Regardless, ALL the “reality” shows you see on TV have elements of truth with drama injected for viewership ratings. As my wife would say it’s Soap Opera for guys. :lol: It’s called entertainment ...and Hollywood (& news agencies) have been stretching the truth for some time at the expense of the public.

Again for me, the Erie slant was the hook as are his business principles. The rest is fun for water cooler talk.
Now if they could just come up with a show about a fiberglass slide maker who pivoted his business (to avoid slide lawsuits) into copying another certain high speed boat manufacturer’s mold so he can eventually produce quality boats. 🤔. Of course I’m sure the media would untruthfully add that they were an accomplice to drug running to spice things up. :lol:

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

AsLan7 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:15 pm
NautiGirl wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:13 pm I will admit when I saw the previews I was excited. I wanted to like this show, the premise is great, but in the end it was just too obviously fake for me. I made it two or three episodes. I mean lets think about this for a few:

Couldn’t agree more. In fact Stearns may not even be a Billionaire. Although to be fair, his company was sold to Blackstone for probably under a half million with Glenn keeping a 29% stake before it filed for bankruptcy after the Feds raised rates.

Regardless, ALL the “reality” shows you see on TV have elements of truth with drama injected for viewership ratings. As my wife would say it’s Soap Opera for guys. :lol: It’s called entertainment ...and Hollywood (& news agencies) have been stretching the truth for some time at the expense of the public.

Again for me, the Erie slant was the hook as are his business principles. The rest is fun for water cooler talk.
Now if they could just come up with a show about a fiberglass slide maker who pivoted his business (to avoid slide lawsuits) into copying another certain high speed boat manufacturer’s mold so he can eventually produce quality boats. 🤔. Of course I’m sure the media would untruthfully add that they were an accomplice to drug running to spice things up. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
sailor55330
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by sailor55330 »

Saw the preview and pegged the same as you guys. Way to fake
kas232ca
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by kas232ca »

I've watched so far. Rib-Fest looks like fun. It is OK entertainment, but there is no way in real life. 90 days to open a business valued at 1m - no.

We are currently expanding our facility into an adjoining space. Got the new lease on July 1st, just submitted plans to the city last Friday. City plan check alone will be a minimum of 5 weeks. Add Fire Dept., Health Dept., CAL-EPA, etc. and we will be lucky if we can start construction in early December. It's only 1800 sq. ft.
2006 Cobalt 232 8.1 420hp.
Lake Havasu, AZ
Kate
Captain
Captain

Post by Kate »

Some people miss the deeper lesson of that show, and seem to be looking for clay feet.

Might this or that permit lengthen the process? Maybe. Might a return be 2x vs 5x? Perhaps. But that's not the point. What the show wonderfully dramatizes, and Stearns embodies, is the value of certain character traits -- in particular resourcefulness and persistence.

Is his net worth "only" $500 million? That is a remarkable achievement, especially considering that he came from nothing, built the company from scratch, and that his financial company survived the 2008 collapse.

Incidentally, there are people familiar with start-ups. They realize that they're trading a short-term salary for the possibility of a long-term payoff.
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Glenn did miss his 1 million dollar business valuation mark (came in at $750k) but it was entertaining nonetheless and I did enjoy his business acumen.

We are going to try his Underdog BBQ restaurant and compare it to Federal BBQ from which he spring boarded. It’s certainly no easy task opening and running a successful restaurant. If it survives I’ll tip my hat to the man. 8-)

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)