New Loadmaster Trailer & 2014 R5

Chrispval
Commander
Commander

Re: New Loadmaster Trailer & 2014 R5

Post by Chrispval »

Not to answer my own question, but I believe boat buckle is only designed for bow and transom to avoid “bounce”. It is not intended to prevent the boat from becoming a projectile in the event of hard braking, an accident, or jackknifing/rolling. I will likely install it as they recomend, vertically directly below eye. But I want to install my heavy duty ratchet strap to prevent it from moving forward over the winch in an accident.
One more question - why do we all rely on a winch. I installed a new FULTON f2, and the bolts arent evem grade 8.
2018 Cobalt R3WSS 350 Volvo
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Chrispval wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 10:12 pm Not to answer my own question, but I believe boat buckle is only designed for bow and transom to avoid “bounce”. It is not intended to prevent the boat from becoming a projectile in the event of hard braking, an accident, or jackknifing/rolling. I will likely install it as they recomend, vertically directly below eye. But I want to install my heavy duty ratchet strap to prevent it from moving forward over the winch in an accident.
One more question - why do we all rely on a winch. I installed a new FULTON f2, and the bolts arent evem grade 8.

In reference to Boat Buckle tie downs, the below quote is from etrailer:

“When choosing tie-down straps like the BoatBuckle G2 Retractable Tie-Down Strap, # IMF14220, you will want to keep a few things in mind. Boat tie-downs are designed for normal highway driving. The purpose of most boat tie-downs is to strap the lightest object to the heaviest object, meaning you will want to choose a tie-down with a break strength that exceeds the weight of the lightest object.

For example, if your boat weighs 4,000 lbs and your trailer weighs 2,000 lbs, you will want to choose a tie-down strap with a break strength that exceeds the weight of the trailer. This ensures that the boat does not jump off of the trailer if you run over bumps or potholes. You could always go with straps that have greater break strengths, but if you are in a severe accident, very few straps could handle the forces that are created when the boat tries to leave the trailer, especially with bigger and heavier boats.

The G2 tie-down, # IMF14221, has a break strength of 2,500 lbs. I spoke with my contact at BoatBuckle and he said they frequently use G2 Bow, # IMF14221, and G2 Stern Tie-Downs, # IMF08893, on boats up to 26ft long. He also said the working load limit (WLL) is a spec that most strap manufacturers must list, but in this situation, the break strength is what you will want to use. “

We also had a good trailer discussion on the forum here.

Boat US info on tie downs and winch strap purpose here.

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Chrispval
Commander
Commander

Post by Chrispval »

This is the part I am looking for, if anyone has a link of where I can buy it
8FA20B2C-7F3B-49A6-B279-B8DC566C8B36.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Loadmaster fabs that piece in house.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

AsLan7 wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 10:31 pm
Chrispval wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 10:12 pm Not to answer my own question, but I believe boat buckle is only designed for bow and transom to avoid “bounce”. It is not intended to prevent the boat from becoming a projectile in the event of hard braking, an accident, or jackknifing/rolling. I will likely install it as they recomend, vertically directly below eye. But I want to install my heavy duty ratchet strap to prevent it from moving forward over the winch in an accident.

“When choosing tie-down straps like the BoatBuckle G2 Retractable Tie-Down Strap, # IMF14220, you will want to keep a few things in mind. Boat tie-downs are designed for normal highway driving. The purpose of most boat tie-downs is to strap the lightest object to the heaviest object, meaning you will want to choose a tie-down with a break strength that exceeds the weight of the lightest object.

For example, if your boat weighs 4,000 lbs and your trailer weighs 2,000 lbs, you will want to choose a tie-down strap with a break strength that exceeds the weight of the trailer. This ensures that the boat does not jump off of the trailer if you run over bumps or potholes. You could always go with straps that have greater break strengths, but if you are in a severe accident, very few straps could handle the forces that are created when the boat tries to leave the trailer, especially with bigger and heavier boats.

The G2 tie-down, # IMF14221, has a break strength of 2,500 lbs. I spoke with my contact at BoatBuckle and he said they frequently use G2 Bow, # IMF14221, and G2 Stern Tie-Downs, # IMF08893, on boats up to 26ft long. He also said the working load limit (WLL) is a spec that most strap manufacturers must list, but in this situation, the break strength is what you will want to use. “

They are meant as a tie down to secure the boat from moving during normal transportation.
If I get into an accident powerful enough to snap the Belt Buckle straps, then fine. I would not want the added boat weight kinetic energy driving/adding to the impact of the tow vehicle.. Let it snap off and dissipate (hopefully) to the side.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Chrispval
Commander
Commander

Post by Chrispval »

Tuscany wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 12:45 pm
AsLan7 wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 10:31 pm

They are meant as a tie down to secure the boat from moving during normal transportation.
If I get into an accident powerful enough to snap the Belt Buckle straps, then fine. I would not want the added boat weight kinetic energy driving/adding to the impact of the tow vehicle.. Let it snap off and dissipate (hopefully) to the side.
Yes! I want that ubolt/plate/eye hook so I can set up my trailer same way
Snowman8
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Snowman8 »

Chrispval wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 9:47 pm Quick question,
i totally understand and agree with a boat buckle installed pulling down and back, from the eye. But why is it that boag buckle does not recommend this, and insists it should be directly down. Is it purely because their design is not tested to withstand the break strength at any angle other than 0 degress and dead vertical?
Also anyone have a link to somewhere where i can order the metal plate/ubolts/with eye for me to attach my ratchet strap.
My plates came with the trailer but I would guess that any welding shop could make you one.
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Might want to add a safety chain. I’m not sure why Loadmaster doesn’t include one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Snowman8
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Snowman8 »

Tuscany wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 8:22 pm Might want to add a safety chain. I’m not sure why Loadmaster doesn’t include one.
I’ve never really thought about adding a safety chain. My last 2 trailers haven’t had one so I’m kind of used to not having one. I have 3 3300lb (10,000lb break strength) tie down straps plus a 3300lb (same 10,000lb break strength) winch strap on this trailer. I had all of the straps custom made in black 2” tie down strap webbing. The pictures above are show my old straps from my old trailer so I finally was able get rid of that ugly yellow one. I’m not really sure what a little 5/16” chain will do, plus I’ve never really liked the way they just bang against the paint after the boat is launched and the chain is just hanging there.

If I get into an accident and that boat decides to break 40,000lbs worth of straps I guess it’s free to go where it wants... I’m pretty sure my R5 is held down better than most any other boat out there. Most of the people I see at the boat ramps have the little 1” 300lb ratchet straps that I wouldn’t use to hold down a lawn mower.
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Snowman8 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 8:18 am
Tuscany wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 8:22 pm Might want to add a safety chain. I’m not sure why Loadmaster doesn’t include one.
I’ve never really thought about adding a safety chain. My last 2 trailers haven’t had one so I’m kind of used to not having one. I have 3 3300lb (10,000lb break strength) tie down straps plus a 3300lb (same 10,000lb break strength) winch strap on this trailer. I had all of the straps custom made in black 2” tie down strap webbing. The pictures above are show my old straps from my old trailer so I finally was able get rid of that ugly yellow one. I’m not really sure what a little 5/16” chain will do, plus I’ve never really liked the way they just bang against the paint after the boat is launched and the chain is just hanging there.

If I get into an accident and that boat decides to break 40,000lbs worth of straps I guess it’s free to go where it wants... I’m pretty sure my R5 is held down better than most any other boat out there. Most of the people I see at the boat ramps have the little 1” 300lb ratchet straps that I wouldn’t use to hold down a lawn mower.

The bow safety chain isn’t meant to hold the boat in an automobile accident.

The bow safety chain is an added precaution while launching at the boat ramp to avoid the boat sliding off the trailer if the winch is accidentally left in the unwind position.

Fun boater story here not to mention the amusing yet disheartening YouTube vids showing boats sliding off their trailers at boat ramps.

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Snowman8
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Snowman8 »

AsLan7 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 9:22 am

The bow safety chain is an added precaution while launching at the boat ramp to avoid the boat sliding off the trailer if the winch is accidentally left in the unwind position.

Fun boater story here not to mention the amusing yet disheartening YouTube vids showing boats sliding off their trailers at boat ramps.

I probably wouldn’t use it anyway. I leave the strap on until the trailer is near the water then take the strap off and back in the rest of the way. The place we frequent on the river has such a flat ramp most people with bunk trailers take the winch strap off before even backing down the ramp. I’ve done it many times myself. I’m sure that it’s happened to someone but I’ve never seen a boat slide off a bunk trailer. I’m not saying it isn’t possible to slide off but the ramp we frequent isn’t very steep at all.
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Yes I removed chains on all of my trailers for the same reason. They chip the paint and clank against the trailer. Just use a strap. Yep I remove the strap before the water but I don't remove the wench till she hits the water.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Snowman8 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 3:41 pm
AsLan7 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 9:22 am

The bow safety chain is an added precaution while launching at the boat ramp to avoid the boat from sliding off the trailer if the winch is accidentally left in the unwind position.

I probably wouldn’t use it anyway. I leave the strap on until the trailer is near the water then take the strap off and back in the rest of the way. The place we frequent on the river has such a flat ramp most people with bunk trailers take the winch strap off before even backing down the ramp. I’ve done it many times myself. I’m sure that it’s happened to someone but I’ve never seen a boat slide off a bunk trailer. I’m not saying it isn’t possible to slide off but the ramp we frequent isn’t very steep at all.
Totally agree with ya’ S8. We don’t have a bow safety chain either. I just wanted to clarify it’s purpose for others on the forum after your post.

BB2B1D61-E5D5-4276-99FF-5EF1808187CB.jpeg

The ramps in PA tend to be steeper than most and the added safety measure for others could be a god-send. Again there are plenty of videos of boats sliding off the trailer at various types of boat ramps ...both bunk and roller type. Here's one that rolled off this Memorial Day weekend. If only he had the safety chain attached. :roll: ....FF to the 2:30 mark and watch only to the 3:05 mark (35 seconds)....

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Ok, I’m taking mine off!🤣
I always looked at it for redundancy. If the “wench“ 🤣🤣.. winch is somehow left in the wrong position (I’m really going to get myself in trouble here).or in neutral, I won’t have to scoop up my boat off of Lake Shore Drive.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Snowman8
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Snowman8 »

When they go sliding down the pavement it just helps clean the barnacles off of the hull!