on trailer engine running - engine flush port or through muffs?

JTinMO
Captain
Captain

on trailer engine running - engine flush port or through muffs?

Post by JTinMO »

Searched, could not find the answer so I'm asking this seemingly easy question to you geniuses.

I trailer my boat. At home before heading to the lake when checking over everything I like to fire up the engine to make sure all is well. Or when doing maintenance I run it in the driveway from the hose.

My question is should you run it with the hose connected to the engine flush port, or run it with the hose and a muff on the lower unit intakes? This is the first boat I've had with a flush port, so really not sure. I've ran it on the flush port only so far, but questioning my method now.

What says the group?
2010 Cobalt 232 8.1Gi
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: on trailer engine running - engine flush port or through muffs?

Post by AsLan7 »

JTinMO wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:06 am Searched, could not find the answer so I'm asking this seemingly easy question to you geniuses.

I trailer my boat. At home before heading to the lake when checking over everything I like to fire up the engine to make sure all is well. Or when doing maintenance I run it in the driveway from the hose.

My question is should you run it with the hose connected to the engine flush port, or run it with the hose and a muff on the lower unit intakes? This is the first boat I've had with a flush port, so really not sure. I've ran it on the flush port only so far, but questioning my method now.

What says the group?
Either works jtM.
Folks have reported errors in their muff operations. I’ve never had an issue using muffs in 25 years of boat ownership. Make sure they are secure and you have good water pressure from your hose. Try not to rev above 3,000 rpm.

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
JTinMO
Captain
Captain

Post by JTinMO »

Thx AsLan. My water pressure is great (on a branch off the main feed to the house), and I've always ran off the muffs on prior Mercs. Part of me hates to run the hose up into the boat each time and have to deal with crawling around the open engine hatch to turn on the water, then turn off the water etc. I only use a pretty heavy duty set of rectangular muffs (not the wal mart specials) that seal well. I think I'll go that route for the future.
2010 Cobalt 232 8.1Gi
Lockey14s
Captain
Captain

Post by Lockey14s »

I would run it through the muffs to get the full flush. I also find its more of a pain to run the hose up and into the engine bay.

the flush port really comes in handy when you slip the boat in salt water and want to flush the motor at the end of the day
1978 19CD "Benny"
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

JTinMO wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:22 am Thx AsLan. My water pressure is great (on a branch off the main feed to the house), and I've always ran off the muffs on prior Mercs. Part of me hates to run the hose up into the boat each time and have to deal with crawling around the open engine hatch to turn on the water, then turn off the water etc. I only use a pretty heavy duty set of rectangular muffs (not the wal mart specials) that seal well. I think I'll go that route for the future.
Yes we use the rectangle ones too. I’ve used the circular one before but the rectangle seems to grip better. Lower drive to the ground without touching and fire her up after water is turned on.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
JTinMO
Captain
Captain

Post by JTinMO »

will do. Thanks again
2010 Cobalt 232 8.1Gi
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

I would only use the port on a Volvo. Why mess with muffs. How many impellers have failed from the port vs muffs? Ports win there. Also watch your pressure you don't want to much. Also I don't know what max rpm is but we should find that. I know Volvo stated it somewhere and I don't go above 2k on mine. I even watch 1500 on it. If I'm bored I'll search it.
1500rpms Max.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

We never used the flush adapter on our Volvo 8.1. No issues with our impeller. Muffs are easy and safe when done correctly.

Regardless of which way you choose, it’s always better with CC switched thru the hull...especially for the neighbors. :mrgreen:

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Alaskabound
Captain
Captain

Post by Alaskabound »

I called the dealer recently to ask this question. The Volvo manual was not very clear on this to me. He said to use the flush fitting was fine but to be sure & cap it back off so it won’t leak. Like A7, I may still just use the muffs. By the way, my unit has a fitting under the outdrive as well as inside the motor cover. This way, you wouldn’t need to drag a hose in the boat.

Dub
2017 220S (280 HP Volvo duoprop)
Live in Shepherdsville, KY
Boat at Laurel Lake (London, KY)
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Alaskabound wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:13 am I called the dealer recently to ask this question. The Volvo manual was not very clear on this to me. He said to use the flush fitting was fine but to be sure & cap it back off so it won’t leak. Like A7, I may still just use the muffs. By the way, my unit has a fitting under the outdrive as well as inside the motor cover. This way, you wouldn’t need to drag a hose in the boat.

Dub
Dub stop looking at your motorhome! That's the city water hook up for it 😂😂💦
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Alaskabound
Captain
Captain

Post by Alaskabound »

Now I know what the problem is. I’ve been using those stupid earmuffs to fill the fresh water tank on my motorhome. The things you learn on this forum.😁
2017 220S (280 HP Volvo duoprop)
Live in Shepherdsville, KY
Boat at Laurel Lake (London, KY)
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Alaskabound wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:19 pm Now I know what the problem is. I’ve been using those stupid earmuffs to fill the fresh water tank on my motorhome. The things you learn on this forum.😁
We just try to help Dub, 😂😂

This way you don't have to bring the hose into the MH to do the dishes or take a shower anymore 🚿🚿🚿😂
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!