Perhaps a Cobaltian

liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Perhaps a Cobaltian

Post by liquid »

Traveller14 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:28 pm Ahhhh that team. Owned by Yao Ming I believe so I guess that's the Rockets connection. Sorry I'm Canadian and think hockey first. The San Jose Sharks tried to get a farm team going here at one point but it didn't work out but they did play for a season. It's pretty obscure so I wondered why anyone would mention them on a Cobalt Chat. Mind you the basketball team is pretty obscure too but at least they still exist.
Well I'm a warehouse of useless news and information. I also rant a lot, spoon with other boat lovers and apparently live in a garbage can...

Welcome to the forum!
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Well I'm a warehouse of useless news and information. I also rant a lot, spoon with other boat lovers and apparently live in a garbage can...

Welcome to the forum!
[/quote]

I don't think we could have described you any better. :-)
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Nicad
Commander
Commander

Post by Nicad »

liquid wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:08 am Need pics of the MasterCraft - You know the rules.

Traveler - you ever go to a Sharks game?
Well last weekend we planned on waterskiing. I found two wetsuits in the closet that fit me like a stuffed seal in a glove. Went to start the new 92 Barefoot 200 and it was dead. I had left the battery master on and there is a small draw somewhere. So one more round behind the Cobalt. It is not a great ski boat with all that turbulence and mogul sized wake. In the afternoon after sitting on charge the Yamaha outboard fired up. It is a 150 rather than a 200. Carbureted V6. It really sings and I have hit 52 MPH with it with a 180 pound passenger aboard. I am loving this boat for two reasons. It is a sports car, much like a 99' Miata I have in the garage and it is in amazing shape for an old boat. the view ovger the short bow is fantastic. Build quality seems great. My daughter skied behind it in the afternoon, got up on one for the first time and is chomping at the bit for more this weekend. This boat will be in the water till freezeup, which probably gives me two extra months of boating. The interior is just like tacky 80's ski clothes. I kinda like it.
This boat with a trailer cost a whopping $7200 USD. That I love.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nicad
Commander
Commander

Post by Nicad »

Here's a shot of the main beauty to bring the conversation back to the boats we love. Went swimming in the middle of the lake two days ago. The lake is abandoned mid week. Dead calm. Water getting a touch on the cold side
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Man that thing is clean. Nice find.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Congrats nicad. Enjoy!
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Nicad
Commander
Commander

Post by Nicad »

Well I am a little stumped. The wake on this boat is very big as well. Had a ski behind it this morning. The 1959 Larson All American we got my friend has a great wake you can cross aggressively under power. This BF 200's wake flattens out nicely as the speed goes past 35 mph, but at 28, it is too big. I think I am going to try putting sand bags in the bow tomorrow and see if that helps. I suppose with the front down lower it will run flatter. Worth a try.
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

What are your thoughts skiing behind a Seadoo GTX?
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Nicad
Commander
Commander

Post by Nicad »

I'd give it a try. I'd imagine you can pull it off course a bit more than a boat, but, probably has more than enough power to get you up efficiently. Aren't those about 180 HP?
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

Nicad this is my understanding... As a general rule of thumb.. a big wake usually means an inefficient hull design or the wrong prop. A smaller wake means the boat is at peak performance gliding across the water, and it has a superior hull design.

When a boat is coming out of the hole it pushes a big "hill" of water in front before it planes. The right prop pared with the right power will pull you out, give you decent midrange fairly quickly, and put you up on plane where you can throttle back before it settles in. If you're pulling a skier and it never quite comes onto plane until 35 mph it may need a bigger prop for more power, but your top speed will suffer.

I just sold a 23' Cuddy that would run about 45 with just me. It would holeshot quickly and come right up on plane. But even at plane it would put out a HUGE wake. Put 5 or 6 people in while trying to pull a tube and it never would plane out. I put a SS 16/16 power prop on and it would come right out of the hole and come up on plane, then I'd back out of it down to about 20 or so all while pulling the weight of a freight train. But it would only run about 30 at top speed. The wake on that thing was almost as big as what a wakeboard boat throws. It had a horrible hull design but I didn't know how bad it was until I bought my Cobalt. I thought something was wrong because the wake is so small!

Just a thought
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

Ytmsn wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:24 pm Nicad this is my understanding... As a general rule of thumb.. a big wake usually means an inefficient hull design or the wrong prop. A smaller wake means the boat is at peak performance gliding across the water, and it has a superior hull design.

When a boat is coming out of the hole it pushes a big "hill" of water in front before it planes. The right prop pared with the right power will pull you out, give you decent midrange fairly quickly, and put you up on plane where you can throttle back before it settles in. If you're pulling a skier and it never quite comes onto plane until 35 mph it may need a bigger prop for more power, but your top speed will suffer.

I just sold a 23' Cuddy that would run about 45 with just me. It would holeshot quickly and come right up on plane. But even at plane it would put out a HUGE wake. Put 5 or 6 people in while trying to pull a tube and it never would plane out. I put a SS 16/16 power prop on and it would come right out of the hole and come up on plane, then I'd back out of it down to about 20 or so all while pulling the weight of a freight train. But it would only run about 30 at top speed. The wake on that thing was almost as big as what a wakeboard boat throws. It had a horrible hull design but I didn't know how bad it was until I bought my Cobalt. I thought something was wrong because the wake is so small!

Just a thought
Dead on. I've skied behind that whaler that I e meticulously restored when it had its 35 evinrude on it. Granted I was 60 lbs soaking wet but the the theory holds.

Nicad- beautiful boat. Very clean.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

Nicad - you would've loved my century. 85 riviera. 0 wake. Perfect ski boat. Everyone that skied loved it.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

Here she is
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
Nicad
Commander
Commander

Post by Nicad »

That looks like a very smooth running boat Liquid....Nice. I bet she had a sweet soundtrack too. What type of power plant?
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

liquid wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:05 pm Nicad - you would've loved my century. 85 riviera. 0 wake. Perfect ski boat. Everyone that skied loved it.

Another reason I had mentioned the Sea Doo, Nicad.

My brother and dad were big time slalom skiiers and loved the GTX models for their nonexistent wakes.
...and with two riders riding, the side to side pulling of the hull was minimal believe it or not.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)