winter storage and R5 with dual batteries ACR

ajfdj55
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

winter storage and R5 with dual batteries ACR

Post by ajfdj55 »

I store my 2015 R5 with original dual batteries with ACR inside a non-heated storage facility here in the great Northeast (Adirondack mountains). Last Winter 2019-2020 my Cobalt service provider left both batteries on board and simply just disconnected them. After Winter ended all worked well this past Spring and all Summer long. This 2020-2021 Winter my Cobalt service provider (different from last year) has left both batteries on board but this time did not disconnect them. I inquired about the different approach and even asked about pulling the batteries and/or putting them on a trickle charger but was advised that wasn't necessary. The service provider would just charge them up in the Spring. I'm located in the great Northeast where it does get very cold during he Winter months. So my question is what is the recommended approach? Thank you.
2015 Cobalt R5
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: winter storage and R5 with dual batteries ACR

Post by Big Block Power »

They will draw down much much faster connected and a dead battery can freeze. Will they discharge all the way down either way? Disconnected Prob not. Which could help prevent from freezing. Can you plug them in and that will help then stay Warmer? Or just plain and simple take them out. I would.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
tgrace98
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by tgrace98 »

I leave mine connected all winter and I leave the battery charger plugged in to keep them charged. My boat lives on a lift in a covered slip all winter
2019 Cobalt R7 VP 6.2 380hp
“Smooth Operator”

Lake St. Louis, MO
Table Rock Lake
ajfdj55
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by ajfdj55 »

My dual batteries are Interstate Marine 24M-XHD. They are the original batteries that came from Cobalt new with my 2015 R5, so in 2021 they will now be going on 6 years old. For this Winter I'm now going to disconnect both and either store them in a non-heated garage or inside my basement. I don't have a charger but am considering purchasing one. First, is there a recommendation for storage i.e. heated basement vs non-heated garage (remember Im in the Adirondacks in the Northeast)? Second if I were to purchase a charger how would that work? Would I keep them on a chartger 24x7x365 all winter until the Spring when I launch? Third does anyone have a recommendation for a charter? Lastly given the age of my batteries might all of this be a moot point? Should I consider purchasing 2 new replacement batteries in the Spring of 2021 and if so should I purchase the same Interstate batteries? Thank you.
2015 Cobalt R5
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Your on borrowed time Frankly. I would buy the same. They lasted and did you well.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
okielaker
Captain
Captain

Post by okielaker »

https://www.progressivedyn.com/service/ ... er%20week.

"All batteries, regardless of their chemistry, will self-discharge. The rate of self-discharge for lead acid batteries depends on the storage or operating temperature. At a temperature of 80 degrees F. a lead acid battery will self-discharge at a rate of approximately 4% a week. A battery with a 125-amp hour rating would self-discharge at a rate of approximately five amps per week. Keeping this in mind if a 125 AH battery is stored for four months (16 weeks) winter without being charged, it will loose 80 amps of its 125-amp capacity. It will also have severe sulfation, which causes additional loss of capacity. Keep your batteries charged while not in use!"
2008 272 8.1L 375hp VP
Buncombe Creek, Lake Texoma
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

If you’ve got a trickle charger that’s your best bet, whether the batteries are pulled or not.
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)