Volvo Penta Silent Shift

Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Volvo Penta Silent Shift

Post by Big Block Power »

Lockey14s wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:18 am
bruceb58 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:46 pm Supposedly, it has been used in some transmissions already but now being added to the gas powered drives. Am I the only one that doesn't really mind the clunk? Makes me know I am in gear I guess. On the Volvo in my 1998 Wellcraft, the clunk is louder than some boats because it has a carb and the idle is set a little higher because of it.
I like the CLUNK!
X3
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
BobRae99
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by BobRae99 »

Big Block Power wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:56 pm Like others said it's nice to put it in great and great that boat so you know you're moving. Mine in reverse is so smooth its odd just seeing the boat move.
It would take some time to get used to no klunk when in gear.
I've spent a couple of summers driving my friend's Centurion surf boat that makes no sound switching into or out of gear. You know its changed gears because the boat changes direction. :) You get used to it very quickly and getting back into my R3, the sound it makes putting it into gear just sounds crude and unrefined to me. I wouldn't buy a new boat over the issue (I'll find some other reason to justify a purchase that isn't necessary), but I'd welcome the improvement. :)
2019 Cobalt R3 - V8/350 - Ebony Hull w/ Knock Out Red Edge Stripe
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

BobRae99 wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:53 am
Big Block Power wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:56 pm Like others said it's nice to put it in great and great that boat so you know you're moving. Mine in reverse is so smooth its odd just seeing the boat move.
It would take some time to get used to no klunk when in gear.
I've spent a couple of summers driving my friend's Centurion surf boat that makes no sound switching into or out of gear. You know its changed gears because the boat changes direction. :) You get used to it very quickly and getting back into my R3, the sound it makes putting it into gear just sounds crude and unrefined to me. I wouldn't buy a new boat over the issue (I'll find some other reason to justify a purchase that isn't necessary), but I'd welcome the improvement. :)
V drives are quite a bit different that a stern drive. A v-drive uses clutch plates to engage that are much bigger diameter than the cone clutches used on stern drives. This allows them to work much smoother just by design. If a stern drive had clutch plates, the top of the stern drive would be huge. Also, much more slop in a stern drive in all the components such as extra gears and u-joints.
2017 R5 350HP Mercruiser Bravo III
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
winniboater
Ensign
Ensign

Post by winniboater »

The salesperson highlighted it when I took a test drive. I didn’t think much about it at the time. It was a little weird the first couple days. Not a big deal on open water, but backing into my slip with a new boat made me miss the clunk. After a couple of days, I just “knew” by the effort I made on the throttle and the movement of the boat. But I find myself still looking for 650 rpm on the dash to confirm. I’m sure by the next season it will be pure habit.
2020 R5, 5.7 350 VP