Bravo 4 S

Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Bravo 4 S

Post by Big Block Power »

So why is Cobalt preventing us from getting the B4 drive?
Their competition is using it already.
The price is right their with Volvo penta.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
BobRae99
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Bravo 4 S

Post by BobRae99 »

Big Block Power wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:42 pm So why is Cobalt preventing us from getting the B4 drive?
Who knows? All I was told is that there will not be a B4 option for 2021 boats. I suspect that it will be offered in the 2022 lineup (so August 2021). Are you thinking about moving up?
2019 Cobalt R3 - V8/350 - Ebony Hull w/ Knock Out Red Edge Stripe
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

BobRae99 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:27 pm
Big Block Power wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:42 pm So why is Cobalt preventing us from getting the B4 drive?
Who knows? All I was told is that there will not be a B4 option for 2021 boats. I suspect that it will be offered in the 2022 lineup (so August 2021). Are you thinking about moving up?
No I won't go surf. Our main lake is way too shallow. Plus my pocket book can't afford one. It just sucks its available and they won't even offer it. It's the same cut out as the Bravo 3 so Cobalt doesn't have to do anything different.
Is just a stupid game with them vs Brunswick.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
BRDad
Commander
Commander

Post by BRDad »

I’m trying to decide on surf vs. no surf.

When you say your main lake is too shallow...how shallow?

The lake I’ll be on is pretty deep although times where close to shore, fuel dock...can get a bit shallow...so worries me.

Thanks!
Big Block Power wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:28 pm
No I won't go surf. Our main lake is way too shallow. Plus my pocket book can't afford one. It just sucks its available and they won't even offer it. It's the same cut out as the Bravo 3 so Cobalt doesn't have to do anything different.
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

BRDad wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:41 pm I’m trying to decide on surf vs. no surf.

When you say your main lake is too shallow...how shallow?

The lake I’ll be on is pretty deep although times where close to shore, fuel dock...can get a bit shallow...so worries me.

Thanks!

You really need 10 ft for a good surf wave. We have alot 0 to 6. It's 19ft in its deepest. So honestly without having 4ft at the shore all the time your asking for trouble. We don't have that here. If I was on a lake like table rock it would be a no brainer.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
BobRae99
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by BobRae99 »

To me there isn’t much of a difference I see between both brands. They both have the same HP and neither publish their torque curves so in that regard it’s a guessing game. As long as the power train is reliable, I don’t really care that much about who is supplying it. I thing the majority of customers pick VP though. I did, not sure why, but it’s been trouble free so far and super responsive.
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

BobRae99 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:02 am

To me there isn’t much of a difference I see between both brands. They both have the same HP and neither publish their torque curves so in that regard it’s a guessing game. As long as the power train is reliable, I don’t really care that much about who is supplying it. I thing the majority of customers pick VP though. I did, not sure why, but it’s been trouble free so far and super responsive.
When you live 30 minutes from the Mercury factory its a big deal. No one sells volvo here. Except a Cobalt dealer. Lol
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
dustinm
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by dustinm »

Big Block Power wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:09 am

When you live 30 minutes from the Mercury factory its a big deal. No one sells volvo here. Except a Cobalt dealer. Lol
So you are saying if you do have problems with your VP the line is shorter?
CS23
BobRae99
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by BobRae99 »

dustinm wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:22 am

I've heard it takes longer to get Volvo parts. I've had one experience with my 2016 Cobalt 210 - had a leaking power steering pump at 8 hours - and it took a couple of weeks for VP to approve the part replacement and for the dealer to receive the part. I'm not sure how much quicker it would have been to get through the same process with Mercury Marine.

For me, it comes down to reliability/service first and performance second. Where I boat, we have about a 12 - 14 week season, so if my boat is waiting 2 weeks for a part, its a disappointment, to say the least. Luckily with my power steering pump, I washable to operate the boat but had a mess to clean up in the bilge. My R3 VP350 hasn't had any problems in the first 2 years (40 hours).
dustinm
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by dustinm »

BobRae99 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:23 pm

I've heard it takes longer to get Volvo parts. I've had one experience with my 2016 Cobalt 210 - had a leaking power steering pump at 8 hours - and it took a couple of weeks for VP to approve the part replacement and for the dealer to receive the part. I'm not sure how much quicker it would have been to get through the same process with Mercury Marine.

For me, it comes down to reliability/service first and performance second. Where I boat, we have about a 12 - 14 week season, so if my boat is waiting 2 weeks for a part, its a disappointment, to say the least. Luckily with my power steering pump, I washable to operate the boat but had a mess to clean up in the bilge. My R3 VP350 hasn't had any problems in the first 2 years (40 hours).
That comment was somewhat of jest toward BBP.

But, if there are 100 people in line (like last summer) it doesn't matter if they have the part on the shelf if the dealer cant get to it for 2 weeks. Plus you still have the repair time on top of that.
CS23
BobRae99
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by BobRae99 »

dustinm wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:12 pm
BobRae99 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:23 pm

That comment was somewhat of jest toward BBP.

But, if there are 100 people in line (like last summer) it doesn't matter if they have the part on the shelf if the dealer cant get to it for 2 weeks. Plus you still have the repair time on top of that.
I agree - that is why my preference if for the most reliable powertrain. I don't know if that means Volvo or Mercury, but my dealer mostly sells VP in Cobalts so that is what I ordered.
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Honestly it's like the cars now a days. They are all good. But you know the next one you buy could be the not so good one.
But anyways the dealers around here work hand in hand with Merc. If they need something Merc gets it to them. If Merc needs something the dealers help them out. It's awesome.
Volvo techs used to be harder to come by but not as much anymore. Parts issues can come from any manufacturer. Really you need your dealer to be the one that matters. They will make it happen or not happen.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

And I got that one.!
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!