Battery Charger Install

Auburnbuilder
Commander
Commander

Battery Charger Install

Post by Auburnbuilder »

I have a 2005 255 that I installed a battery charger/maintainer on about 4 weeks ago.
Wanted to be able to plug in boat after use and during winter storage. I ended up going with a
Dual Pro Professional PS2. It is a 2 bank 15 amp each bank charger. Charger seems to be exceptionally well made.
Drilled a hole in rear of boat for an electrical inlet (NOCO with 16" cord end). Inlet is very nice and seals well.
Installation was pretty straightforward. Drilled hole for inlet and mounted (be careful where you drill, look inside behind hole location).
My boat has a structural rib not far away from inlet location. This shows up in picture I posted. Mounted charger to hull support inside engine bay
next to one of the batteries. This location worked out well because cords from charger to batteries were long enough to reach both.
A dumb luck thing that is handy about charger location is that I can look in engine bay vent on port side of boat and see status of charge
without opening engine hatch. Status of charge LED's on charger are very bright and easily seen

Inlet: NOCO GCP1 15 Amp AC Port Plug, 125 Volt Power Inlet Socket, And Waterproof Electrical Outlet Receptacle Box With 16-Inch Integrated Outdoor Extension Cord

Charger: Dual Pro 15 Amp/Bank Professional Series 2 Bank Charger
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2005 Cobalt 255
496 MAG HO
Lake Champlain, VT
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Battery Charger Install

Post by bruceb58 »

I just installed the same charger n my R5. It was in my previous boat for 8 years. I am also putting in a port to the outside. I purchased the Marinco port since I wanted it to be white.
2017 R5 350HP Mercruiser Bravo III
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

You are probably aware that the batteries you have are same as Oddysey and these DualPro chargers are on their approved charger list.
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
Auburnbuilder
Commander
Commander

Post by Auburnbuilder »

Thanks for confirming that. I did call Dual Pro and ask if the charger was compatible with my AGM Northstar batteries, they said yes.
2005 Cobalt 255
496 MAG HO
Lake Champlain, VT
mluters
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by mluters »

I installed the same charger on my 262 about 3 years ago and it's worked flawlessly.
2011 Cobalt 262 WSS 8.1 HO Volvo Penta 420HP
Lake Mohave
Lake Powell
Mike in SC
Captain
Captain

Post by Mike in SC »

I bought the Sportsman seried two bank charger. Haven't installed yet, boat in dry stack. Looking for a day off from work with decent weather, and I'll have them put it outside on a maintenance rack where I can get some work done. Maybe when the cold weather is over and I can reinstall the batteries and install the charger. Still thinking about the outlet. I used the Marinco on my previous boat.
Mike in SC
Lake Murray, SC
2003 Cobalt 220
350 Mag MPI/Merc Bravo 3
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

Mike in SC wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:28 pm I bought the Sportsman seried two bank charger. Haven't installed yet, boat in dry stack. Looking for a day off from work with decent weather, and I'll have them put it outside on a maintenance rack where I can get some work done. Maybe when the cold weather is over and I can reinstall the batteries and install the charger. Still thinking about the outlet. I used the Marinco on my previous boat.
The only problem with the Marinco like I bought is a cord needs to be hard wired to it. Some people complain that they have to cut off the plug at the end of the charger cord. The alternative, which is what I will do, is use one of the 1 foot extension cords fuse for power strips and wire it into the Marinco outlet.

This is what someone on Amazon did with the short extension
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA