My 2017 R5 Mods and Maintenance

(R3, R5, R7, R30, R35)
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: My 2017 R5 Mods and Maintenance

Post by AsLan7 »

Spudbutter wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:02 pm Bruce had a good thread going, one of the most interesting I've read on this forum. Not sure why others that don't even have R Series boats hijack it and ruin it for others that were interested. Oh well..... thanks for taking the time to document and share your ideas with us while it lasted.
Hey SB..welcome to the Cobaltchat forum. So glad you found us!

Don’t sweat the hijack...it happens from time to time to keep things light. Plus it’s tough to read demeanor on a web forum so threads can flare up occasionally. Egos puff up too but in the end the common interest in these fantastic boats tends to bring folks back down to earth. That and a CChat group Cobalt factory tour or TableRock lake gathering will reunite. :D

Any pics of your Cobalt?

Again welcome aboard mate!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Elkhunter2372
Commander
Commander

Post by Elkhunter2372 »

Spudbutter wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:02 pm Bruce had a good thread going, one of the most interesting I've read on this forum. Not sure why others that don't even have R Series boats hijack it and ruin it for others that were interested. Oh well..... thanks for taking the time to document and share your ideas with us while it lasted.
Gotta say I have to agree with Spudbutter on this...we all have varying levels of expertise and opinions...Bruce was documenting mods in a way that people like myself who are mechanically challenged can follow along and repeat. We also all have our own personalities, egos, whatever you want to call them...and should respect each others thoughts and ideas. Greenhut posted a thread on installing a LED drain plug light which helped me immensely on doing the same mod to my own boat...I wouldn't have had a clue otherwise. I personally am sorry to see Bruce's thread get hacked to the point where he no longer wants to contribute...in the end that hurts newbies such as myself because I don't have the knowledge base that some of you have.
Bill Hampton
2021 Cobalt R3
Navy with Yellow Edge stripe, White bottom
350 HP Volvo Evc with Duo Prop
Grand Junction, CO

Lake Powell, UT
Western Colorado lakes
ajcampen
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ajcampen »

Elkhunter2372 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:02 am
Gotta say I have to agree with Spudbutter on this...we all have varying levels of expertise and opinions...Bruce was documenting mods in a way that people like myself who are mechanically challenged can follow along and repeat. We also all have our own personalities, egos, whatever you want to call them...and should respect each others thoughts and ideas. Greenhut posted a thread on installing a LED drain plug light which helped me immensely on doing the same mod to my own boat...I wouldn't have had a clue otherwise. I personally am sorry to see Bruce's thread get hacked to the point where he no longer wants to contribute...in the end that hurts newbies such as myself because I don't have the knowledge base that some of you have.
I agree with you and I hope Bruce chooses to come back and add to his excellent thread.
Some brief history: many of us joined when the forum had few members and having fun on threads contributed to engagement.
2016 R7 VP 380
2014 220S Merc 5.0L (sold)
Columbus, OH
Chautauqua, NY
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Yes it was a good thread. But I was trying to give the right advice on how to address a issue. I work at a dealership and own FarCon marine. I just made a very basic point to go to the dealer. But I guess I know everything. I'm good with that and then boom the rest of us decided to have fun on be half of spinning prop guy! The bad is its not the first time it's happened. Which happens on forums but this one we are a pretty tight main group and want to make it a fun forum.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Kyboater
Commander
Commander

Post by Kyboater »

Big Block Power wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:44 am
Yes it was a good thread. But I was trying to give the right advice on how to address a issue. I work at a dealership and own FarCon marine. I just made a very basic point to go to the dealer. But I guess I know everything. I'm good with that and then boom the rest of us decided to have fun on be half of spinning prop guy! The bad is its not the first time it's happened. Which happens on forums but this one we are a pretty tight main group and want to make it a fun forum.
My .02

1) Totally agree with Spudbutter, this was an excellent thread. For sure one of the most interesting lately.
2) This definitely isn’t the first good thread that got sidetracked lately. I really enjoyed BobRae99’s R6 impressions. Very detailed and well written. I was looking forward to many folks chiming in as the R6 is now hitting showrooms. I checked out the new R6 at my local dealer and was going to provide my insight but after reading pages of non-related stuff I didn’t figure anyone would notice.
3) I like to have fun too, but I will say this forum is very cliquish at times. I’m a member of other forums and yes we have fun there too but not the the extreme level of inside jokes that are present here. I just ignore and move on. I do appreciate the level of expertise here and agree we all have a common love of boating and more specifically Cobalt boats.
4) I’ve tried to contribute where I can and provide information that hopefully others might benefit from.
5)As for calling the dealer... Maybe Bruce doesn’t have a local dealer, maybe Bruce doesn’t like his local dealer. But based on his mechanical abilities and the fact he is smart enough to purchase the best brand of boats ever, I’m sure he could have worked through the call Cobalt or call dealer part just fine.

Please Bruce, Continue documenting. This is good stuff.
2018 R5 350hp Merc
Lake Cumberland KY
greenhut
Captain
Captain

Post by greenhut »

Ive posted a couple similar info focused threads, yet had nothing but fun with some of the silliness (except BBP nearly sending me to the crazy house over the proper UW light button ;) Forums have a tendency to get too serious (perhaps as we are getting now?).

I think calling the forum "cliquish" is unfair - I found/find it friendly, welcoming, and sometimes goofy. People come here for different reasons at different times - enjoy the bits you like, scroll past the bits you dont..
2020 Cobalt R5
Ebony/KO Red boot stripe
VP V8-380-DP, Trim Tabs
Arch, Interior LED, ACR
Prem Sound, Sea Grass
Blue UW Lights
Mooring Cover
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

greenhut wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:35 pm Ive posted a couple similar info focused threads, yet had nothing but fun with some of the silliness (except BBP nearly sending me to the crazy house over the proper UW light button ;) Forums have a tendency to get too serious (perhaps as we are getting now?).

I think calling the forum "cliquish" is unfair - I found/find it friendly, welcoming, and sometimes goofy. People come here for different reasons at different times - enjoy the bits you like, scroll past the bits you dont..
This guy gets it.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

liquid wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:42 pm
greenhut wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:35 pm Ive posted a couple similar info focused threads, yet had nothing but fun with some of the silliness (except BBP nearly sending me to the crazy house over the proper UW light button ;) Forums have a tendency to get too serious (perhaps as we are getting now?).

This guy gets it.
Agreed!

Where Kate when we need her?
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
NautiGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by NautiGirl »

This guy gets it.
Indeed. He seems to understand. We should let him in the clique.
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
Currently Not a Boat Owner
CANDIED RED 2007 222 320hp 6.2L - Sold
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

NautiGirl wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:55 pm

This guy gets it.
*begins the secret initiation ritual.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
greenhut
Captain
Captain

Post by greenhut »

liquid wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:10 pm
NautiGirl wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:55 pm

This guy gets it.
*begins the secret initiation ritual.
Ahaha. Please stop sending nudes though.
2020 Cobalt R5
Ebony/KO Red boot stripe
VP V8-380-DP, Trim Tabs
Arch, Interior LED, ACR
Prem Sound, Sea Grass
Blue UW Lights
Mooring Cover
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Kyboater wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:17 pm

My .02

1) Totally agree with Spudbutter, this was an excellent thread. For sure one of the most interesting lately.
2) This definitely isn’t the first good thread that got sidetracked lately. I really enjoyed BobRae99’s R6 impressions. Very detailed and well written. I was looking forward to many folks chiming in as the R6 is now hitting showrooms. I checked out the new R6 at my local dealer and was going to provide my insight but after reading pages of non-related stuff I didn’t figure anyone would notice.
3) I like to have fun too, but I will say this forum is very cliquish at times. I’m a member of other forums and yes we have fun there too but not the the extreme level of inside jokes that are present here. I just ignore and move on. I do appreciate the level of expertise here and agree we all have a common love of boating and more specifically Cobalt boats.
4) I’ve tried to contribute where I can and provide information that hopefully others might benefit from.
5)As for calling the dealer... Maybe Bruce doesn’t have a local dealer, maybe Bruce doesn’t like his local dealer. But based on his mechanical abilities and the fact he is smart enough to purchase the best brand of boats ever, I’m sure he could have worked through the call Cobalt or call dealer part just fine.

And honestly this thread would have been fine if the OP spinning prop guy wouldn't have called me a know it all! It went down hill from there. As I said I was giving my opinion and not a bad one at that. I guess after working at gm for over 30 years and now with Stellantis for the last 6 years I might just know a thing about calling for parts and warranty help. Sure Cobalt will help him with his questions but they will also say call your dealer to get the part. Oh but he won't buy from them anyways. We have people call our manufacturer and guess who they call right after they hang up with the customer. Right the dealer. My dealer is a hour away as most of our dealers are not close to us. But the Internet contact us button is 2 clicks away. Just saying this was not brought on by the chat core clique group. That is wrong. But it sure was finished by them.
Like Green Hut said read it or move on. Heck I don't care A7 can Delete everything back to his mods. That's fine with me. Heck even in Bobraes thread delete everything in there as well. Is What it is. Sorry feelings for hurt by saying call the dealer! Really!
I will try to be more sensitive. 🐶🐶🥎🥎
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
NautiGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by NautiGirl »

Big Block Power wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:14 pm
Kyboater wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:17 pm

My .02

And honestly this thread would have been fine if the OP spinning prop guy wouldn't have called me a know it all! It went down hill from there. As I said I was giving my opinion and not a bad one at that. I guess after working at gm for over 30 years and now with Stellantis for the last 6 years I might just know a thing about calling for parts and warranty help. Sure Cobalt will help him with his questions but they will also say call your dealer to get the part. Oh but he won't buy from them anyways. We have people call our manufacturer and guess who they call right after they hang up with the customer. Right the dealer. My dealer is a hour away as most of our dealers are not close to us. But the Internet contact us button is 2 clicks away. Just saying this was not brought on by the chat core clique group. That is wrong. But it sure was finished by them.
Like Green Hut said read it or move on. Heck I don't care A7 can Delete everything back to his mods. That's fine with me. Heck even in Bobraes thread delete everything in there as well. Is What it is. Sorry feelings for hurt by saying call the dealer! Really!
I will try to be more sensitive. 🐶🐶🥎🥎
I like this new aggressive BBP.

unnamed.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
Currently Not a Boat Owner
CANDIED RED 2007 222 320hp 6.2L - Sold
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
Kyboater
Commander
Commander

Post by Kyboater »

greenhut wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:35 pm
Everyone on this forum is friendly and welcoming. It is completely unfair to use that description. Please accept my apologies.

I also would love for everything back to the mods to be deleted. That is the first good idea bbp has had in 15k posts. 🤣🤣🤣
2018 R5 350hp Merc
Lake Cumberland KY
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

AsLan7 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:17 am
Hey SB..welcome to the Cobaltchat forum. So glad you found us!

Don’t sweat the hijack...it happens from time to time to keep things light. Plus it’s tough to read demeanor on a web forum so threads can flare up occasionally. Egos puff up too but in the end the common interest in these fantastic boats tends to bring folks back down to earth. That and a CChat group Cobalt factory tour or TableRock lake gathering will reunite. :D

Any pics of your Cobalt?

Again welcome aboard mate!

Hey welcome spudbutter welcome sorry I missed your Introduction, you should go to the new member section and Introduce yourself to us. What kind of boat do you have? Don't forget pictures.
I see your a Tahoe boater as well.
Have you done any mods to your boat? Let's hear about them!
Maybe this summer you will might meet up with your neighbor spinning prop guy and tell him we are sorry and didn't want to wreck his thread! Tell him from bbp I will be more sensitive.
Last edited by Big Block Power on Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!