Towing with Tower down.

dsthomas
Captain
Captain

Towing with Tower down.

Post by dsthomas »

I just got a new R7 Surf :0) Tower folds down, it locks so that it won't come back up, but there is still about an inch of play up and down. I'm wondering has anyone ever towed with the tower down? I'm thinking probably not a good idea, but thought I'd ask on here.

Thanks everyone!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kansas City, MO
2011 242 VP 5.7 GXi (Sold)
2016 A25 VP 350 (Sold)
2020 R7 Surf VP 380 (Sold)
2022 R8 Surf VP 380
akorcovelos
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Towing with Tower down.

Post by akorcovelos »

I'd leave it up. I wouldn't want it bouncing around if there is play when lowered. There's no benefit to towing with it down, and I would assume if you have a travel cover it's designed to fit with the tower up.
1996 252 Whipple tuned 454 Magnum MPI, 496 exhaust, Corsa Captains Call, B3 w/Simrek drive shower.
‘Direct Deposit Too
Antioch, IL
Fox Chain O' Lakes
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

akorcovelos wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 11:12 am I'd leave it up. I wouldn't want it bouncing around if there is play when lowered. There's no benefit to towing with it down, and I would assume if you have a travel cover it's designed to fit with the tower up.
+1
Also stronger when it's in the up and locked position....unless you back into your garage with it up. ..too soon bbp? ;)

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
BobRae99
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by BobRae99 »

I've towed mine short distances with the tower up, but I wonder about fuel mileage if you are hauling a couple of hours or more. Also, in my neck of the woods, once June/July hits there are lots of juicy bugs deposit their carcasses all over my car at highway speeds which could cause a bit of a mess on the bimini cover.

I hadn't thought about how to tow with the tower down so maybe after considering all the angles, the best thing to do is leave it up and clean the bimini cover if necessary when you get there.

Love the colour by the way.
2019 Cobalt R3 - V8/350 - Ebony Hull w/ Knock Out Red Edge Stripe
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

BobRae99 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 4:51 pm I've towed mine short distances with the tower up, but I wonder about fuel mileage if you are hauling a couple of hours or more. Also, in my neck of the woods, once June/July hits there are lots of juicy bugs deposit their carcasses all over my car at highway speeds which could cause a bit of a mess on the bimini cover.

I hadn't thought about how to tow with the tower down so maybe after considering all the angles, the best thing to do is leave it up and clean the bimini cover if necessary when you get there.

Love the colour by the way.
We towed one boat from Arkansas to Pennsylvania and the other was towed from Vegas to Pennsylvania thru all kinds of bugs.
Ran the Bimini cover trough the washer and used a bug sponge on the Bimini poles and tower structures respectively after the two tows were complete.

No issues.

We also applied a fabric guard protector after washing the Bimini cover.

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

AsLan7 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 11:42 am
akorcovelos wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 11:12 am I'd leave it up. I wouldn't want it bouncing around if there is play when lowered. There's no benefit to towing with it down, and I would assume if you have a travel cover it's designed to fit with the tower up.
+1
Also stronger when it's in the up and locked position....unless you back into your garage with it up. ..too soon bbp? ;)

They are all designed to be towed up. The factory does at delivery. If you leave it up there is a sensor on it if it sees a low hanging item in its way it self lowers. Or at least after you hit something its now lower then it was before. Too soon 😂
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
dsthomas
Captain
Captain

Post by dsthomas »

Thanks everyone, sound advice. I think I'll leave it up.
Kansas City, MO
2011 242 VP 5.7 GXi (Sold)
2016 A25 VP 350 (Sold)
2020 R7 Surf VP 380 (Sold)
2022 R8 Surf VP 380
tarachanowicz
Commander
Commander

Post by tarachanowicz »

I tow with my tower down all the time I made up a bracket mount so tower is just off steering wheel when locked down.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mdadgar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by mdadgar »

That is a really great idea. Nice work.

- Mark
2013 Cobalt A25, 6.0 VP 380hp "More Cowbell"
Monte Sereno, CA (winter) | Lake Don Pedro (summer)
Boats are for when I'm not racing cars
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

I don’t have a tower. But, If I’m not too lazy to get back up into the boat, I tow with my cover on and bimini locked down. No point in it being a bug catcher and adding to wind resistance.
Its amazing how many bugs I can catch with it up, not to mention bugs splattered all over the back seat if the cover is off.

Nice idea Tara.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
straubtms
Ensign
Ensign

Post by straubtms »

Great idea Tara - I trailer about 1-1/2 hrs from the water and would like to use this system. Where did you find the quick dis-connect combination used at the floor located on the ski locker?
Thanks
2021 - R5 350HP VP
2010 - 232 300HP B3
2006 - 226 320HP Volvo
1993 - 198 235HP Alpha 1
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

straubtms wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:19 am Great idea Tara - I trailer about 1-1/2 hrs from the water and would like to use this system. Where did you find the quick dis-connect combination used at the floor located on the ski locker?
Thanks
Hey straubtms. Welcome to the Cobaltchat forum. So glad you found us!

Any pics of your Cobalt? On which lake do you boat?

Again welcome aboard mate!

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)