Westland Covers - Need Help on Problem

Scaemur
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Westland Covers - Need Help on Problem

Post by Scaemur »

I bought a mooring cover from Westland Covers a couple of months ago. When it arrived, took it out of box and put it on using the ties that were included in the box from Westland. Checked on boat this week and noticed three large tears and holes in the cover already with a fourth tear starting. I took some pictures and Westland is saying it appears I made alterations and added some new loops to the cover and thus the warranty is voided. I did not such thing. I literally took the cover directly out of the box and put it on the boat using nothing but what they provided.

Does anyone know someone at Westland (it is in Vonore, Tennessee) that can help me?

This is very discouraging and makes me question the company, but I paid around $1,300 for it after taxes and would like to have something that lasts more than a few weeks for that kind of money.

Thank you all in advance.
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Westland Covers - Need Help on Problem

Post by AsLan7 »

I don’t know anyone there personally but they are a quality company that has a reputation of standing by their products

I would call again and email them with your pictures again going up the chain. They will make it right.
Also it might help mentioning this forum and how we promote Westland as owners.

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

So again who did you buy the cover from. They should stand behind what they sell. I know Bald Mike sells covers made by westland and he stands behind what he sells. To me that's where I would start. I also agree that westland should stand behind it. Again the power of social media you can use to your advantage. Sorry for your issues. They are great covers. Cobalt used them for years as their vendor. Mine is 18 years old and still in 1 piece.
Last edited by Big Block Power on Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Scaemur
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Scaemur »

Thank you both. I will do as you suggest. Started with local marine dealer. I was going to go direct to Westland next, but will back to dealer based on your suggestion.
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

Sure sorry to hear anything like that. Heck I'd be right there with you, and fighting mad if it only lasted a few weeks out of the box. The fabric mut have had a defect. After plenty of pictures I'd probably also take the cover off and take pictures of the inside. Maybe you'll be able to see the defects?

As the others have said, if the dealer doesn't make a replacement then go right up the ladder to the factory. I'm betting they'll make it right with you. And if they don't? I'm betting they have no idea of who we think we are!😁

Let us know!
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
ajcampen
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ajcampen »

Any idea why it ripped? Just a fluke or poorly made? Asking for a friend
2016 R7 VP 380
2014 220S Merc 5.0L (sold)
Columbus, OH
Chautauqua, NY
Scaemur
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Scaemur »

I wish I could answer that question. I just took some videos and sent to Westland directly, in addition to the dealer.

It appears to be from the tight fit of the cover at the extended platform because two of the rips are at the same location on the rear of the cover, but on opposite sides of the boat. The third is in the front and it is rather baffling. It would appear to be a rub/wear tear but there is nothing rubbing there. The cover is not very tight on the sides either. I can actually push my hands up under it on the sides. The rear however is very tight over the extended platform. In fact, the ties are serving little purpose.
Scaemur
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Scaemur »

Here are a couple of videos I sent to the person at Westland. There are actually a couple of other tears as well. I hope they stand by their warranty and back off their weird claim that I made alterations to the cover.

https://youtu.be/_UCXmb1tSXs

https://youtu.be/jMYl-iQWeoA

Aslan...feel free to edit this and make the videos embedded. I could not figure out how to do so.
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Scaemur wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:53 am Here are a couple of videos I sent to the person at Westland. There are actually a couple of other tears as well. I hope they stand by their warranty and back off their weird claim that I made alterations to the cover.

https://youtu.be/_UCXmb1tSXs

https://youtu.be/jMYl-iQWeoA

Aslan...feel free to edit this and make the videos embedded. I could not figure out how to do so.

Done.

Great documentation.

Keep us posted.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Scaemur
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Scaemur »

Update: Westland contacted me yesterday via email and said they would send out a replacement. The company came through as some of you thought. Still weird that they initially denied the warranty and supposedly told the dealer (per the dealer) we made alterations to the cover. I guess the videos showed them that no alterations were made. They did state I should not use the ties at the dock. Those are only for towing.

A new cover is supposedly being sent my way soon, so it appears all will end well.

Thank you for your advice.
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Scaemur wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:50 am Update: Westland contacted me yesterday via email and said they would send out a replacement. The company came through as some of you thought. Still weird that they initially denied the warranty and supposedly told the dealer (per the dealer) we made alterations to the cover. I guess the videos showed them that no alterations were made. They did state I should not use the ties at the dock. Those are only for towing.

A new cover is supposedly being sent my way soon, so it appears all will end well.

Was part of the settlement agreement a removal of the YouTube vids?

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Scaemur
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Scaemur »

AsLan7 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:36 am
Scaemur wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:50 am Update: Westland contacted me yesterday via email and said they would send out a replacement. The company came through as some of you thought. Still weird that they initially denied the warranty and supposedly told the dealer (per the dealer) we made alterations to the cover. I guess the videos showed them that no alterations were made. They did state I should not use the ties at the dock. Those are only for towing.

:D Nah...it just seemed like the right thing to do.
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Scaemur wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:36 pm
AsLan7 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:36 am

:D Nah...it just seemed like the right thing to do.
Agreed! People like you are few and far between! Great job! Hats off too you!
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!