Docking Lights LED?

AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Docking Lights LED?

Post by AsLan7 »

Ytmsn wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:27 am
Big Block Power wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:40 pm Yt with Jax on the look out!
She does make a good good ornament!
Love seeing Jax on the bow YT!
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
R6outboard
Commander
Commander

Post by R6outboard »

dustinm wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:43 pm I will continue to make passengers use their cell phone lights.
Lol. This is great. Been there and done that before. I like your style.

Think on this boat, I will get them. All the comments have been helpful. I have the cabin lights and speaker lights. Most likely will want to be out past dark.
R6outboard
Commander
Commander

Post by R6outboard »

bruceb58 wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:04 pm I just wish people would not use them when they are just driving around. They are called docking lights for a reason
Glad I read this! I might have been one of those guys. My thought was I could use them to help others see me. Kind of like day time running lights. Negative. I am going to get them but wont use em while running! Thank you.
R6outboard
Commander
Commander

Post by R6outboard »

Ytmsn wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:37 pm I switched my bulbs to LED and it's amazing how much light they put out. It's equally amazing how the water or dark or aliens or whatever absorbs this light when out in open water. I'll flip mine on every now and then to just check the water for anything floating as I rarely go much faster than a high idle.
Thank you for the pics. Wow that's a ton of light! Much more than I would have expected. What year is your boat? Seeing that someone else mentioned having them (led) already. On an R7, or at least it sounded like they were factory. Wonder if Cobalt switch from standard to Led at some point? I am getting them.
Norris_Boating
Captain
Captain

Post by Norris_Boating »

bruceb58 wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:04 pm I just wish people would not use them when they are just driving around. They are called docking lights for a reason
The other kicker is they do almost nothing while underway. Light has to reflect off of something for you to see anything, usually while underway there is nothing to reflect off of. So they don't actually even help people that are using them while underway.
2016 220
2019 R7 Surf
White and Red V8-380CE EVC DP (FWD) - 380 hp
dustinm
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by dustinm »

R6outboard wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:59 pm
dustinm wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:43 pm I will continue to make passengers use their cell phone lights.
Lol. This is great. Been there and done that before. I like your style.

Think on this boat, I will get them. All the comments have been helpful. I have the cabin lights and speaker lights. Most likely will want to be out past dark.
If we had a permanent dock I would get them but the way it is we only stay out after dark one night a year. So in that case I guess I will just use the public ramp with lights. Plus I did not know they are illegal and a nuisance to other boaters underway.
CS23
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

I personally just liked the looks of them on the boat. I haven't turned them on in the garage in 2 years.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

We have a dock in our backyard at Lake Tahoe. Its way cheaper having two small lights on the dock than installing docking lights on the boat!
2017 R5 350HP Mercruiser Bravo III
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

AsLan7 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:22 am
Ytmsn wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:27 am
Big Block Power wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:40 pm Yt with Jax on the look out!
She does make a good good ornament!
Love seeing Jax on the bow YT!
Thanks A7!
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
Mike in SC
Captain
Captain

Post by Mike in SC »

I'll probably change my bulbs to LED's. I have only used them putting the boat on the trailer at night. Some reflective tape on the trailer guides make whatever light output your docking lights have, enough.
Mike in SC
Lake Murray, SC
2003 Cobalt 220
350 Mag MPI/Merc Bravo 3
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Mike in SC wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:26 am I'll probably change my bulbs to LED's. I have only used them putting the boat on the trailer at night. Some reflective tape on the trailer guides make whatever light output your docking lights have, enough.
Yes it's just the few times when I turn mine on in the garage they are nice to have. The normal bulbs get so hot. Plus the nav light on the bow. That's the only reason I would switch is because of the heat they give off. I didn't want anyone getting burned.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Big Block Power wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:04 am
Mike in SC wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:26 am I'll probably change my bulbs to LED's. I have only used them putting the boat on the trailer at night. Some reflective tape on the trailer guides make whatever light output your docking lights have, enough.
Yes it's just the few times when I turn mine on in the garage they are nice to have. The normal bulbs get so hot. Plus the nav light on the bow. That's the only reason I would switch is because of the heat they give off. I didn't want anyone getting burned.
So true. My son burned his hand slightly on the Nav light when he went to pull up the anchor. :?
Switched over to LED’s after that.

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Mike in SC
Captain
Captain

Post by Mike in SC »

AsLan7 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:27 am
Big Block Power wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:04 am
So true. My son burned his hand slightly on the Nav light when he went to pull up the anchor. :?
Switched over to LED’s after that.

Another good reason to swap bulbs for LED's. Didn't think about that.
Mike in SC
Lake Murray, SC
2003 Cobalt 220
350 Mag MPI/Merc Bravo 3