5.7 GI-B overheating

merlebh
Ensign
Ensign

5.7 GI-B overheating

Post by merlebh »

Having an over heat issue. I’ve changed the seawater pump and impeller, tstat and tstat housing. I feel I’m not getting water from the out drive to the impellar. Is there something between the two that is a common issue for clogging?
merlebh
Ensign
Ensign

Re: 5.7 GI-B overheating

Post by merlebh »

Btw, I disconnected the outlet hose from the seawater pump And no water was coming from the impeller housing
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

Have you tried blowing out the hose to the thermostat housing backward? I don't think it's a very common problem - I've heard of more impeller failures clogging things downstream, but not so many clogs before the thermostat housing.

Please keep us posted when you find the solution,

John
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
merlebh
Ensign
Ensign

Post by merlebh »

Which hose on the tstat housing? I have only run it with water hose connected to the flush port since last summer until I got it on the water 2 weeks ago when it over heated. I then changed the tstat and housing. I’m thinking maybe running water through the flush port back washed debris that got stuck somewhere between it and the out drive? I did do the following in the off season:
Plugs and wires
Distributor cap and rotor
Fuel filter
Oil and filter change
Impeller and seawater pump
merlebh
Ensign
Ensign

Post by merlebh »

My plan is to disconnect the inlet hose to the seawater pump and put the muffs on the outdrive and see if anything comes out then put the water hose into the inlet hose back toward the outdrive.
merlebh
Ensign
Ensign

Post by merlebh »

Any history with the oil cooler clogging?
merlebh
Ensign
Ensign

Post by merlebh »

Disconnected the intake (suction) hose from seawater pump and connected water hose to it. Water came out of the drive side ports as normal. Saw no water dripping from connecting points at transom area. I did see that my exhaust bellows are severely torn. Then connected water to drive using muffs and water would not come out of the intake hose at seawater pump.
DB4D5016-E3B4-4341-B537-113E5B958877.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Yea your puking your drive anyways. Time for ujoints, gimble bearing, bellows, and the hose connector going to the drive. Might have to change your impeller again. Not sure how long you ran it dry.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!