Depthfinder transducers

(Stereos, Chartplotters, Fish Finders, etc.)
Mike in SC
Captain
Captain

Depthfinder transducers

Post by Mike in SC »

I'm interested in how the Airmar transducer works with newer, GPS/Fishfinder combos...I understand that the old one that came in the boat originally may not be compatible with the newer units, but I know that adapters exist and different Airmar models also exist...
But if you have a glued down Airmar transducer wired to a Garmin or other new GPS unit, what kind of detail can you see?
Are you satisfied with the way it works?
I'm wanting to mount a 6 or 7" Garmin on my dash somehow and would like to avoid mounting a transducer off the transom of the boat.
Thanks.
Mike in SC
Lake Murray, SC
2003 Cobalt 220
350 Mag MPI/Merc Bravo 3
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Depthfinder transducers

Post by jhnmdahl »

There are a ton of different kinds/frequencies of transducer, so matching it to your GPS device is key. The chart on this Airmar page will show compatible Garmin devices for each Airmar transducer (under the "Compatible Sounders" heading), but if you post your Garmin we can probably tell you more:

https://www.airmar.com/xref.html

Garmin's own transducers are often made by Airmar, and their Panotpix, chirp, and DownVu/SideVu transducers. To make it more complex, some Garmin devices can use an external sonar driver "black box" to drive transducers the head unit can't drive itself. Here's a link to Garmin's transducer PDF guide, which is pretty informative:

https://www8.garmin.com/marine/PDF/tran ... _guide.pdf

John
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
Mike in SC
Captain
Captain

Post by Mike in SC »

jhnmdahl wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:50 pm There are a ton of different kinds/frequencies of transducer, so matching it to your GPS device is key. The chart on this Airmar page will show compatible Garmin devices for each Airmar transducer (under the "Compatible Sounders" heading), but if you post your Garmin we can probably tell you more:

https://www.airmar.com/xref.html

Garmin's own transducers are often made by Airmar, and their Panotpix, chirp, and DownVu/SideVu transducers. To make it more complex, some Garmin devices can use an external sonar driver "black box" to drive transducers the head unit can't drive itself. Here's a link to Garmin's transducer PDF guide, which is pretty informative:

https://www8.garmin.com/marine/PDF/tran ... _guide.pdf

John
Thanks John,
There is certainly a lot of information there I didn't have before.
I'm hoping someone chimes in with the results they got by pairing the correct Airmar to say, a Garmin echoMap UHD 63cv that has Clear Vue and Chirp...I'm not expecting to find fish with it, but possibly large rocks or unexpected shallows. Just wondering how that old transducer style works with newer sonar types.
Thanks!
Mike in SC
Lake Murray, SC
2003 Cobalt 220
350 Mag MPI/Merc Bravo 3
mluters
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by mluters »

Mike in SC wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:10 pm I'm interested in how the Airmar transducer works with newer, GPS/Fishfinder combos...I understand that the old one that came in the boat originally may not be compatible with the newer units, but I know that adapters exist and different Airmar models also exist...
But if you have a glued down Airmar transducer wired to a Garmin or other new GPS unit, what kind of detail can you see?
Are you satisfied with the way it works?
I'm wanting to mount a 6 or 7" Garmin on my dash somehow and would like to avoid mounting a transducer off the transom of the boat.
Thanks.

Mike,
I was in your same position regarding chartplotters and transducers until a few weeks ago...I was looking to get more detail from a 7 inch screen and not mount a transducer from the transom. My other requirement was to maintain a 2 inch diameter on the in hull transducer because I didn't want to enlarge the transducer hole. I was able to install the Garmin 743XSV and Airmar B150M without to much trouble...see the following link. [url]viewtopic.php?f=21&t=5060/url]

I chose the Airmar B150M mainly because it's a 2 inch transducer and it has CHIRP sonar, which greatly enhances the detail compared to non Chirp transducers. I don't have any photos of the detail available through this B150M buts it's night and day difference from just looking at a depth gauge. Also, the GPS maps in the Garmin show most of the shallow spots through detailed maps. I'll be heading out to the lake in a few weeks and I grab some photos of the detail available. Hope that helps.
2011 Cobalt 262 WSS 8.1 HO Volvo Penta 420HP
Lake Mohave
Lake Powell
Mike in SC
Captain
Captain

Post by Mike in SC »

Mike in SC wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:10 pm Mike,
I was in your same position regarding chartplotters and transducers until a few weeks ago...I was looking to get more detail from a 7 inch screen and not mount a transducer from the transom. My other requirement was to maintain a 2 inch diameter on the in hull transducer because I didn't want to enlarge the transducer hole. I was able to install the Garmin 743XSV and Airmar B150M without to much trouble...see the following link. [url]viewtopic.php?f=21&t=5060/url]

I chose the Airmar B150M mainly because it's a 2 inch transducer and it has CHIRP sonar, which greatly enhances the detail compared to non Chirp transducers. I don't have any photos of the detail available through this B150M buts it's night and day difference from just looking at a depth gauge. Also, the GPS maps in the Garmin show most of the shallow spots through detailed maps. I'll be heading out to the lake in a few weeks and I grab some photos of the detail available. Hope that helps.
So you already had a 2" hole through your hull.
I can see your choice of transducer looked like a good one. I'm just not ready to drill a hole in the bottom yet!
I'm curious if anyone has insight on what to expect from that glued-in Airmar P79 that seems standard issue on the older boats at least...
Thanks for the feedback and links, I'm learning a lot!
Mike in SC
Lake Murray, SC
2003 Cobalt 220
350 Mag MPI/Merc Bravo 3
mluters
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by mluters »

Yes, I already had a Airmar P319 (non-CHIRP) transducer from the factory that has a 2 inch diameter and I really didn't want to cut a bigger hole in the hull. I just removed the old transducer and replaced it with the B150M from Airmar and used a Garmin 12 pin to 8 pin adapter cable. Very easy project as long as the transducer hole diameter remains the same.
2011 Cobalt 262 WSS 8.1 HO Volvo Penta 420HP
Lake Mohave
Lake Powell
Mike in SC
Captain
Captain

Post by Mike in SC »

OK.
I suppose the best way to get good data to the GPS/FF is to feed it good information.
Have any of you had problems mounting a transom mounted transducer with trailering, dry stacking, swimmers around the stern of your boat, etc...?
Has normal boating life damaged the transom mounted transducer?
Thanks,
Mike.
Mike in SC
Lake Murray, SC
2003 Cobalt 220
350 Mag MPI/Merc Bravo 3
groberts4
Commander
Commander

Post by groberts4 »

Guys - I know this chain is pretty old but if anyone gets this message, do you know the frequency of the OEM transducer that I have in my 2006 262? I've read that if the frequency is the same as the gauge then you can just use the original transducer, no replacement required, and just install a new depth finder gauge in the dash. I suppose an adapter may be required to make the old wire plug fit the new gauge...?
2006 262 w/ Volvo Penta 8.1L @ 375hp
Lake Conroe, Texas